• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Judaism have Doctrine of Original Sin and if not why does Christianity?

FranklinMichaelV.3

It's one of those interesting distinguishing things about Christianity and Judaism. As far as I know there is no concept or doctrine of original sin in Judaism yet there is one in Christianity.

Given the close ties that Christianity has with Judaism at least in terms of its origins, why is such a crucial doctrine missing in Judaism? Where did it come from, how did it develop and were there those of the Jewish community who believed in such a doctrine or still do?

CMike

It's one of those interesting distinguishing things about Christianity and Judaism. As far as I know there is no concept or doctrine of original sin in Judaism yet there is one in Christianity.

Given the close ties that Christianity has with Judaism at least in terms of its origins, why is this such a crucial doctrine to miss out in Judaism?
It's a christian concept not a jewish one.

I'm not sure who you are asking; jews or christians?

FranklinMichaelV.3

It's a christian concept not a jewish one.

I'm not sure who you are asking; jews or christians?

It's open to all who have knowledge of the religions.

I'm interested because usually one of the big differences that people usually put between christianity and judaism in simplicity deals with the Jesus Christ factor, but there is so much more than that. Another factor is the idea of Original Sin.

While Judaism viewed the Messiah as a bringer of peace and uniter of Israel (i may be incorrect please correct me if I am) Christianity views the Messiah as a taker away of sins.

I believe this is tied to the concept and doctrine of Original Sin.

CMike

The jewish messiah will be a mortal person.

In fact, the messiah will not be as important as the messianic era, when the messianic prophesies will take place.

Only G-D can take away sin. Also G-D said to the jews that only he has divine power and to not trust anyone who says that he has divine power.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Given the close ties that Christianity has with Judaism at least in terms of its origins, why is such a crucial doctrine missing in Judaism? Where did it come from, how did it develop and were there those of the Jewish community who believed in such a doctrine or still do?

It's no so much something that's missing in Judaism as it is something that was added in Christianity. The general Jewish view is that humans are a good creation but that free will allows us to disobey. The Torah reference to sins being carried forth is generally interpreted in that when we sin, we affect more than just ourselves but also our family and our society. OTOH, the idea that if I rob a bank that my grandchildren should be thrown in prison for that doesn't make a lot of sense to us.

FranklinMichaelV.3

It's no so much something that's missing in Judaism as it is something that was added in Christianity. The general Jewish view is that humans are a good creation but that free will allows us to disobey. The Torah reference to sins being carried forth is generally interpreted in that when we sin, we affect more than just ourselves but also our family and our society. OTOH, the idea that if I rob a bank that my grandchildren should be thrown in prison for that doesn't make a lot of sense to us.

Yes I noticed that when that guy stole the gold when God told them to destroy everything and Israel later lost that battle when it was found out him and his family was put to death.

As well as God was willing to punish until the 4th generation.

CMike

What guy?

Generally if another generation or family are not evil then they are not punished.

metis

Notta Jewish source, but this might be at least a bit helpful:

Jewish theologians are divided in regard to the cause of what is called "original sin". Some teach that it was due to Adam's yielding to temptation in eating of the forbidden fruit and has been inherited by his descendants; the majority, however, do not hold Adam responsible for the sins of humanity. The doctrine of "inherited sin" is not found in most of mainstream Judaism. Although some in Orthodox Judaism place blame on Adam for overall corruption of the world, and though there were some Jewish teachers in Talmudic times who believed that death was a punishment brought upon humanity on account of Adam's sin, that is not the dominant view in most of Judaism today. Modern Judaism generally teaches that humans are born sin-free and untainted, and choose to sin later and bring suffering to themselves. The concept of inherited sin is also not found in any real form in Islam. Some interpretations of original sin are rejected by other Christian theologies. -- Original sin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

I think it is found in Christianity because it is the condition that justifies everything else. Without it, there is no need for Jesus' sacrifice, no need for universal acceptance, no need to join. The danger of eternal damnation, just because one is born, isn't there and the whole idea that there is something beyond your control that you need saving from disappears.

These ideas all support one another, and original sin is the linchpin that holds it together.

As for it existing in Judaism, I have read that some groups once held that Adam was the cause for the evil in the world, but (AFAIK) it has never been a mainstream idea.

FranklinMichaelV.3

I think it is found in Christianity because it is the condition that justifies everything else. Without it, there is no need for Jesus' sacrifice, no need for universal acceptance, no need to join. The danger of eternal damnation, just because one is born, isn't there and the whole idea that there is something beyond your control that you need saving from disappears.

These ideas all support one another, and original sin is the linchpin that holds it together.

As for it existing in Judaism, I have read that some groups once held that Adam was the cause for the evil in the world, but (AFAIK) it has never been a mainstream idea.

I notice that in the Christian Bible, it mentions the term of being saved and gaining eternal life. Was this a mainstream view or was it a fringe view?

metis

Yes I noticed that when that guy stole the gold when God told them to destroy everything and Israel later lost that battle when it was found out him and his family was put to death.

If one is looking for inconsistencies (theologians generally prefer the word "variations") found in scripture, there's plenty if one takes everything on a literal, surface basis. The idea that a great grandchild would be punished by God because of something that Great-Grandpa did makes God into maybe the worst child abuser imaginable. Something is really wrong with that picture, would you not agree?

Therefore, Jewish sages worked under the axiom that if some interpretation defies reason, go with reason and look for alternative interpretations.

FranklinMichaelV.3

If one is looking for inconsistencies (theologians generally prefer the word "variations") found in scripture, there's plenty if one takes everything on a literal, surface basis. The idea that a great grandchild would be punished by God because of something that Great-Grandpa did makes God into maybe the worst child abuser imaginable. Something is really wrong with that picture, would you not agree?

Therefore, Jewish sages worked under the axiom that if some interpretation defies reason, go with reason and look for alternative interpretations.

From what I've learned on here, that many of the laws were on edges of extreme because they were never meant to be implemented as they were written. Without the Oral torah they would seem barbaric.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
why the face? It is a crucial doctrine in Christianity. Given their origins I find it interesting that it would be in Christianity but missing in Judaism.
Perhaps I misinterpreted your intent, but I distinguish between …
… why is such a crucial doctrine missing in Judaism?​
and, for example, ...
… why is a doctrine deemed crucial to Christianity [alone?] missing in Judaism?​

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I notice that in the Christian Bible, it mentions the term of being saved and gaining eternal life. Was this a mainstream view or was it a fringe view?

I don't know; it's been a long time since I've studied the Christian Bible.
But it's clear that it eventually became the mainstream view even if it didn't start out that way.

Levite

Higher and Higher

The Rabbis teach us that God will punish sin to the furthest generational remove-- if the same sin is practiced by those in every generation, without repentance or remorse.

Remember, in Judaism, sin is not an inherent condition-- either inherited or singularly innate-- sins are transgressive actions. A person is a sinner for precisely the duration between their committing a transgression and their formal repentance for that transgression. Not before and not afterward.

This. Big time. This is very well stated.

Christianity uses those terms in ways unlike the ways Judaism uses them. The Hebrew terms usually translated as "saved" have nothing to do either with an "original sin" or with the afterlife or damnation (which we do not have): they refer either to God literally saving us from dangers and perils, or to God's redemption of the People Israel from slavery in Egypt, or from Exile, or the promised redemption to come, when the messiah comes, and the current Exile ends.

Likewise, the phrases that usually gets translated as "gaining eternal life" either have to do with the doctrine of resurrection of the dead (which for the most part has not been taken literally in many centuries, but is taken to refer to the eternality of the soul) or to the "life of the World To Come," which is somewhat analogous to the Christian Heaven, except that one need not be Jewish to gain entry into the World To Come-- one need only be righteous-- and the majority of our authorities over the years seem to feel that sooner or later, everyone gets there.

FranklinMichaelV.3

The Rabbis teach us that God will punish sin to the furthest generational remove-- if the same sin is practiced by those in every generation, without repentance or remorse.

Remember, in Judaism, sin is not an inherent condition-- either inherited or singularly innate-- sins are transgressive actions. A person is a sinner for precisely the duration between their committing a transgression and their formal repentance for that transgression. Not before and not afterward.

This. Big time. This is very well stated.

Christianity uses those terms in ways unlike the ways Judaism uses them. The Hebrew terms usually translated as "saved" have nothing to do either with an "original sin" or with the afterlife or damnation (which we do not have): they refer either to God literally saving us from dangers and perils, or to God's redemption of the People Israel from slavery in Egypt, or from Exile, or the promised redemption to come, when the messiah comes, and the current Exile ends.

Likewise, the phrases that usually gets translated as "gaining eternal life" either have to do with the doctrine of resurrection of the dead (which for the most part has not been taken literally in many centuries, but is taken to refer to the eternality of the soul) or to the "life of the World To Come," which is somewhat analogous to the Christian Heaven, except that one need not be Jewish to gain entry into the World To Come-- one need only be righteous-- and the majority of our authorities over the years seem to feel that sooner or later, everyone gets there.

That is very interesting point. I'm trying to understand how such a major belief system could come to light. I didn't know that much about Judaism until I joined here, to me the big difference was just in the belief of Jesus, but there is so much more to it. It's why I'm trying to understand what parts of Christianity developed from Judaism and where the other parts have come from.