• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does It Pay To Be Good?

james bond

I'm getting this question from watching Better Call Saul on AMC. Basically, it's a story of two brothers that were raised by strict parents. I'm not sure if the parents were religious or not, but the father seems to have been the primary influence in their lives. The viewer finds out that the parents worked hard all their lives at a gas station market, but did not profit very much. From the way one son, Jimmy, describes it, the father was too soft in believing the poor people who came into the store, and thus he gave them credit which they didn't repay. Since the father believed the poor people's stories and got a reputation for being a "soft touch," more people gave him sob stories and took advantage of his kindness. Jimmy helped his father out and became good in dealing with people, but decided that being unscrupulous was a better approach in dealing with some of these people. It was a tit for tat strategy. On the other hand, his brother Chuck went to school, got accolades and became a super lawyer. However, his weakness was that of not being good with people or showing much empathy for them. He wasn't as popular or as well like as his brother. He thought ideals and his moral principles were more important. Jimmy would excuse someone who tried and failed while he couldn't stand the liars, cheaters and stealers. Yet, he became one himself in order to cope. We see him turn into a supreme liar and con-man type of lawyer in order to get ahead in life.

I think all of us would like to consider themselves "good Samaritans" in that they will help someone in trouble. However, trying to help someone from a mugger could get themselves killed or seriously injured. One has to know themselves and their limitations on helping someone in this situation. It could be that one has to properly assess the dangers of the situation. For example, a young child is drowning and is floating down a river. One can't think even if they are an expert swimmer that they can just jump in to rescue the child. Some times good Samaritans can get killed or injured trying to save someone. It does no good to lose two lives or to inadvertently lose one's own life in trying to save another.

So, my question is, does it pay to be good? I think one can be too honest. One has to think about themselves, as well. Being too honest or honest to a fault, I would define it as, "honest to a fault means they will inconvenience themselves or cost themselves money and opportunity in order to he helpful, loyal and transparent." Sure, being helpful, loyal and transparent is good, but there are limits if it is too costly for oneself. In other words, being good comes at a price.

As for Christians, we hear that Jesus was perfect. I like to think this, but I'm not sure how he dealt with all of his situations he encountered. Sometimes, I hit these situations and do not have an answer myself. I give money to people who beg on the streets. Some of them look like they can use it. I rather give them food or clothing, but I've found they rather have money. This makes me suspicious. Helping at the food service or giving to Salvation Army is fine, but they too, aren't as eager to collect what you have to give them. Thus, I seek help from others more knowing.

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I'm getting this question from watching Better Call Saul on AMC. Basically, it's a story of two brothers that were raised by strict parents. I'm not sure if the parents were religious or not, but the father seems to have been the primary influence in their lives. The viewer finds out that the parents worked hard all their lives at a gas station market, but did not profit very much. From the way one son, Jimmy, describes it, the father was too soft in believing the poor people who came into the store, and thus he gave them credit which they didn't repay. Since the father believed the poor people's stories and got a reputation for being a "soft touch," more people gave him sob stories and took advantage of his kindness. Jimmy helped his father out and became good in dealing with people, but decided that being unscrupulous was a better approach in dealing with some of these people. It was a tit for tat strategy. On the other hand, his brother Chuck went to school, got accolades and became a super lawyer. However, his weakness was that of not being good with people or showing much empathy for them. He wasn't as popular or as well like as his brother. He thought ideals and his moral principles were more important. Jimmy would excuse someone who tried and failed while he couldn't stand the liars, cheaters and stealers. Yet, he became one himself in order to cope. We see him turn into a supreme liar and con-man type of lawyer in order to get ahead in life.

I think all of us would like to consider themselves "good Samaritans" in that they will help someone in trouble. However, trying to help someone from a mugger could get themselves killed or seriously injured. One has to know themselves and their limitations on helping someone in this situation. It could be that one has to properly assess the dangers of the situation. For example, a young child is drowning and is floating down a river. One can't think even if they are an expert swimmer that they can just jump in to rescue the child. Some times good Samaritans can get killed or injured trying to save someone. It does no good to lose two lives or to inadvertently lose one's own life in trying to save another.

So, my question is, does it pay to be good? I think one can be too honest. One has to think about themselves, as well. Being too honest or honest to a fault, I would define it as, "honest to a fault means they will inconvenience themselves or cost themselves money and opportunity in order to he helpful, loyal and transparent." Sure, being helpful, loyal and transparent is good, but there are limits if it is too costly for oneself. In other words, being good comes at a price.

As for Christians, we hear that Jesus was perfect. I like to think this, but I'm not sure how he dealt with all of his situations he encountered. Sometimes, I hit these situations and do not have an answer myself. I give money to people who beg on the streets. Some of them look like they can use it. I rather give them food or clothing, but I've found they rather have money. This makes me suspicious. Helping at the food service or giving to Salvation Army is fine, but they too, aren't as eager to collect what you have to give them. Thus, I seek help from others more knowing.

I think the payoff for "being good" is to society as a whole.

Individuals can be "good" and be victimized.

The idea is, overall, the rise of mankind out of the cave days.

Society decides what is "good" at any given time.

It may be different in different countries, - but is now slowly becoming a globally recognized "good," with "human rights" attached.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Depends on how you measure success.

What makes you happy? Being wealthy or helping others?

Become a therapist so you can do both.

544cd5ce14e31d052aca78978e3d15cb.jpg

Bird123

Perhaps the question should be: How do we want to define ourselves? Our actions and choices not only define who we are but they show the world and God what we know and what we need to learn.

Are things really black and white? Can one really define exactly what good is??

As I see it, the very best answer is Unconditional Love. One can never go wrong giving people and the world Unconditional Love.

Unconditional Love always does what is best for the other. That by no means says give everyone everything they want.

Sometimes, it is hard to know just what is best for the other, however I think if we try our very best to do this that things will travel the best avenue.

One thing we should all keep in mind. AS I see it, we will not be able to help those who must learn a lesson. One will not be able to interfere with another's lesson no matter how we try. Still, it speaks to who we are even if we do try.

True Intelligence will make the best choices. As we learn from our choices, Unconditional Love will always bring the best overall results for everyone.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

It pays to be good to a point. Being bad just makes others mad. Being good can inspire but you don't give away the shop. Give in small amounts and await the payback if there is none stop giving. If I loan a person a dollar, I will typically forget about it when they approach me to pay it back I always remember them. If I loan more then a dollar I expect a payback, If I don't get it I won't hold a grudge over money but you don't get anymore money.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Having a heart inclined to helping is in and of itself good. But not all actions are helpful. When I was in India in the early 1970's and saw the pitiful poverty of those on the bottom, I got some advice I've never forgotten. I don't remember the exact words but the sense was: wanting to help is good. But be careful how you help especially with beggars. Better to give or even volunteer with organizations who really can help. That's why today I have a volunteer shift every week with a group that rescues food that would be thrown out, handles clothing that people can use and offers it to those in need. Very often it's the working poor who don't earn enough to afford decent food and clothing who are the recipients of the aid.

And when offering assistance, we are encouraged to keep in mind that it is our brothers and sisters who need the help.

eldios

If you're chasing after money, then it doesn't pay to be good to everyone you meet. Firing people at work is not good for them but it could set you on the path to financial freedom.

If you're more interested in receiving kind actions towards you, then you should be kind towards others. There's an old saying, "If you throw rocks at a wall, chances are some of those rocks my bounce back and hit you on the head. It's best not to throw rocks at a wall".

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
"Good" is to a considerable extent defined by its tendency to improve its own sustainability, so yes.

RESOLUTION

James, not wanting to shake or stir you.. LOL.
Christianity , has a very set look on these things,...

"No greater love has a man for another, than to lay down his life for them."
In the UK we have seen policemen and civilians hurt and killed because they tried to protect people from terrorism.
What good does it do a man if he gains the whole world and loses his soul?

I would question and ask the mindset question. If, terrorist knew or muggers that onlookers would go to the aid of others in their number would they still be inclined to do it?
What is more, with knife attacks would they get to the point of being able to kill when rushed by several humans who would take them down?
Those cars who drove into people would they have reached their destined place of impact had another car driver driven into them to stop them?

The poor we will always have... greed in man ensures that. Selfish hearts who believe the world is full of scroungers and the beggars live in a palace and dress like that to take
your hard earned cash. What the homeless need is shelter and they need helping back on to their feet.

It is definitely a perplexing case, James, But each have to find it within their own hearts to do what is right.
Christ was not kidding about Dives and Lazarus. You give what you can where you can. Liked your post.

james bond

Depends on how you measure success.

What makes you happy? Being wealthy or helping others?

Become a therapist so you can do both.

544cd5ce14e31d052aca78978e3d15cb.jpg

Hm... what if they can't afford your therapy or doctoring?

In my example, both of these guys became lawyers :D.

james bond

Do you have to be paid to do good, now?

What do you mean by good? How do you measure being good to others? How do you measure they being good to you?

I suppose you are referencing, one who "will inconvenience themselves or cost themselves money and opportunity in order to he helpful, loyal and transparent."

I think most of the times you want to be helpful, loyal and transparent to your friends and loved ones, but even then it's not easy nor clear. We tell white lies. If our spouse or significant other asks, "Does this make me look fat?" then it's not an easy question to answer. If they're your customers, then you want to be the same, but maybe will have different degrees. For example, if you're a mechanic, then you may recommend a brake job even though the brakes may last for several more hundred miles. If they'll last several thousand miles, then it would be different. I guess your cutoff would be the next recommended service date.

Or maybe you mean if you receive too much in change back? Do you go back to the store to give it back if you happen to notice it after being a block or two away from the store? There was a similar incident in the Better Call Saul show except one favoring the father. The father tried to give it back, but the customer was gone. Later, he talked about it to his family and said he was going to give it to the Sunday collection. So, the conniving son took the money and hid it (it was a rare coin).

james bond

If you're chasing after money, then it doesn't pay to be good to everyone you meet. Firing people at work is not good for them but it could set you on the path to financial freedom.

If you're more interested in receiving kind actions towards you, then you should be kind towards others. There's an old saying, "If you throw rocks at a wall, chances are some of those rocks my bounce back and hit you on the head. It's best not to throw rocks at a wall".

I wouldn't put it as "chasing after money," but making an honest day's pay. If you overcharge someone, then you would probably try and pay it back. However, if they're gone already, then it may be too inconvenient. If you're to give an estimate for a job, then you may put in a fudge factor in case it is more difficult than anticipated. However, if you do this all the time, then you wouldn't be too honest.

I never heard about throwing rocks against the wall. Yeah, that's good. Many people inflict a negative actions for poor work instead of giving praise or reward for good work.

james bond

James, not wanting to shake or stir you.. LOL.
Christianity , has a very set look on these things,...

"No greater love has a man for another, than to lay down his life for them."
In the UK we have seen policemen and civilians hurt and killed because they tried to protect people from terrorism.
What good does it do a man if he gains the whole world and loses his soul?

I would question and ask the mindset question. If, terrorist knew or muggers that onlookers would go to the aid of others in their number would they still be inclined to do it?
What is more, with knife attacks would they get to the point of being able to kill when rushed by several humans who would take them down?
Those cars who drove into people would they have reached their destined place of impact had another car driver driven into them to stop them?

The poor we will always have... greed in man ensures that. Selfish hearts who believe the world is full of scroungers and the beggars live in a palace and dress like that to take
your hard earned cash. What the homeless need is shelter and they need helping back on to their feet.

It is definitely a perplexing case, James, But each have to find it within their own hearts to do what is right.
Christ was not kidding about Dives and Lazarus. You give what you can where you can. Liked your post.

>>"No greater love has a man for another, than to lay down his life for them."<<

Yes, this is what I was getting to, but before taking this action one has to also understand their limitations or understand the dangers they are facing in a life and death situation. There has to be a preparation of how to rescue somebody before having to lay down one's life for them. This starts with being aware of the dangers. The last news I read about was a victim who was in a car accident that downed a power line and they were near the line and standing water. Some people rushed in to help and were electrocuted. Eventually, the injured person was rescued by firemen who took away the electrical danger before going in to take the person to emergency.

eldios

I wouldn't put it as "chasing after money," but making an honest day's pay. If you overcharge someone, then you would probably try and pay it back. However, if they're gone already, then it may be too inconvenient. If you're to give an estimate for a job, then you may put in a fudge factor in case it is more difficult than anticipated. However, if you do this all the time, then you wouldn't be too honest.

I never heard about throwing rocks against the wall. Yeah, that's good. Many people inflict a negative actions for poor work instead of giving praise or reward for good work.

There's a lot more to life then work.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Hm... what if they can't afford your therapy or doctoring?

In my example, both of these guys became lawyers :D.

I really just assume different strokes for different folks. "Good" is hard to pin down. Your intent to do good could cause harm. I just don't see a guarantee as being seen as the good guy.

So I stick with want seems right for me at the moment. In some circumstances I think the right thing to do is to cause harm. Sometimes the truth will IMO cause more harm than good.

So I try not to make general rules. I do what seems to be best given the circumstances. Since circumstances are always changing the best may change as well.

Generally I feel most folks are trying to get through life the best they can. Just no guarantee their actions are going to be helpful or harmful to you.