• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it matter what path we have chosen?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I replied to this thread once and then deleted my post as I stated the path one follows isn’t important and then went on to describe my path and why it’s important to me. :rolleyes:

So in answer to your question, as I see it, the importance of the path one follows or the importance on how one performs on that path depends completely on the individual and the path s/he follows.
I am happy you decided to write a new reply :) Wise words for you

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Or would you say it is more about how we perform within the path we chose to follow? So that it is our own effort that guides us to the righteous way of life.

What is your thought about this question?

I feel it's our effort to guide us to a "righteous" life. I've learned that both the journey and the destination are equally as fine. They are both help people grow spiritually; and, both have. I realized I don't have a "heaven", a retirement home, a place I want to be before I die. It's always been to far ahead and today, I can't even manage and commit to events more than a week if that ahead of time. Do, it's more about developing myself. Wherever I be, I have to adapt to be more comfortable with it. Until then, enjoy the scenery.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Or would you say it is more about how we perform within the path we chose to follow? So that it is our own effort that guides us to the righteous way of life.

I believe Self Effort is very important, so in that way the path should not matter.

Of course if you choose a path which indulges in sex and drugs and Rock'n Roll you might end up differently then when you choose the path of introspection.

But, I believe we all have this Divine Spark in us, I call conscience, so in the end we all go in the same directions. Maybe someone has to go through Rock'n Roll 3 more years and then suddenly gets enlightened, as that was his final desire he had to work out.

I have experienced that the more Self Effort I put in, the more Grace (extra help without me doing some extra effort) I receive. So the saying "if you take 1 step towards God (be a good human), God (in the form of Grace) takes 10 or 100 steps towards me" seems to be true.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
There is ONLY ONE true path. Sure, all paths begin somewhere, but they all eventually lead into the ONE. Like a tree with trigs that turn into branches, that turn into limbs, that turn into a trunk, that leads us to the "ROOT". One can be a son without being a father, but one cannot be a father without being a son. Therefore the son comes first, because the son is what reveals the father. This is the one true path that ALL will find eventually.
So you say.

WhyIsThatSo

A question comes to mind when i read this. How can there be a son if there is no father?
The "son" is in the making...….the "father" is in the finding. Is that not what everyone is doing here in one sense or another ….seeking ? When is person is lost physically, they don't know where they are. When a person is lost spiritually, they don't know WHO they are.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The "son" is in the making...….the "father" is in the finding. Is that not what everyone is doing here in one sense or another ….seeking ? When is person is lost physically, they don't know where they are. When a person is lost spiritually, they don't know WHO they are.
In my understanding that is a part of the spiritual journey, we are on. But we don't have to travel to be on the journey, because the answer lay within each one of us. The result and the answer to the search may lead us in different directions. So to say there is only one answer sound to me as a narrow view. But I answer this without any judgment of those who may have a narrow view of the truth. My own path shows me that even the answer may only hold three words, Truthfulness, compassion and forbearance. To get to the answer the path starts as a highway with many side paths, but the closer we come to the truth of everything, the truth becomes more and more clear.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

To me it's all about values. I believe that there are some universally "good" values. (And I know that that's a tough claim to defend philosophically.) If we're agreed on our values, and we're honest, then I think there are many fine paths.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

It's the quality of the heart that matters most and not the belief system.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Or would you say it is more about how we perform within the path we chose to follow?

How many paths are there? And what does each path cultivate?

There is a saying: "There are as many paths to God as there are souls on earth." which I believe. What works for one person won't work for another. And what works for one person today, might not work in the future.

And in this era, to me theology is the least important thing. What matters is sincerity, honesty, willingness to change and so forth.

Vee

Premium Member

I think both. First you have to choose a path, and that's hard enough, but then how you act every day can make you or break you. It's a continuous job of falling and getting back up again and finding the courage to keep going. Effort is very important, but you have to find the motivation to make the effort, and that comes from believing in what you're doing and know why you decided to do it in the first place.

Maximus

the Confessor

The path is, of course, important.

'Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.'

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
It does not matter what path we have chosen

Or would you say it is more about how we perform within the path we chose to follow
Depends upon the goals you have set or not

So that it is our own effort that guides us to the righteous way of life.
If the goal is "righteous way of life" then we first have to establish what is the "righteous way of life". That would make a very interesting new topic

In animal kingdom it seems that the "righteous way of life" is to kill other animals and eat them.

Some say that humans are "animals". So they could claim it's righteous to kill other "animals".

Other humans kill animals and eat them, and call it righteous

Some tribes are used to eat humans; to them it's righteous. I even read that in Sweden they talked about recycle the people who died in the meat industry. I think that is more natural than killing them.

Personally I choose to not kill humans and not kill animals for food. I am aware that I kill a few million bacteria daily and ants etc. while walking and the occasional worm pill I take.

This whole Creation seems to be full of killing. I am not sure if there is a general rule about "righteous" in this context. All can choose to fill it in for themselves.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It does not matter what path we have chosen

Depends upon the goals you have set or not

If the goal is "righteous way of life" then we first have to establish what is the "righteous way of life". That would make a very interesting new topic

In animal kingdom it seems that the "righteous way of life" is to kill other animals and eat them.

Some say that humans are "animals". So they could claim it's righteous to kill other "animals".

Other humans kill animals and eat them, and call it righteous

Some tribes are used to eat humans; to them it's righteous. I even read that in Sweden they talked about recycle the people who died in the meat industry. I think that is more natural than killing them.

Personally I choose to not kill humans and not kill animals for food. I am aware that I kill a few million bacteria daily and ants etc. while walking and the occasional worm pill I take.

This whole Creation seems to be full of killing. I am not sure if there is a general rule about "righteous" in this context. All can choose to fill it in for themselves.
Righteous in the spiritual sense, to live by the teaching and avoid doing evil, such as intentional killing is evil, and should be avoided for any spiritual being. Every action, speech or thought that is made intentionally to harm others or only benefit our own ego are also an act of evil.

WhyIsThatSo

In my understanding that is a part of the spiritual journey, we are on. But we don't have to travel to be on the journey, because the answer lay within each one of us. The result and the answer to the search may lead us in different directions. So to say there is only one answer sound to me as a narrow view. But I answer this without any judgment of those who may have a narrow view of the truth. My own path shows me that even the answer may only hold three words, Truthfulness, compassion and forbearance. To get to the answer the path starts as a highway with many side paths, but the closer we come to the truth of everything, the truth becomes more and more clear.
As I already stated earlier, there are as many "paths" as there are people, yes. BUT, eventually , no matter where, when, or why the path is taken, they ALL must lead to the same place....the TRUTH.

WhyIsThatSo

So, to answer the question does it matter what path.......yes, and no. Some people are "homebodies". Some people are never "home". Some people when they're away return straight home, some people take the long way home. The only thing that matters is that you get there. But the only way you can get back there is to KNOW where you came from.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@Amanaki I believe that every person on this earth is being offered the same spiritual destiny, but I don’t believe that there are many paths to that destination....just one. Most people have at best a foggy picture about what and where that is. Or even why we are here. “We just are” seems like such an empty statement when our intelligence demands answers and reasons.

From my point of view, the existence of a Creator is a ‘no brainer’. Everything I see in the natural world is proof to me of careful planning and intent....not to mention ingenious design, which logic dictates, needs an intelligent designer.

In the guidebook that I believe the Creator provided, there is so much wisdom and counsel and examples (good and bad) for our benefit, but like a lot of things that are good for us, some things don’t go down well with a lot of people. With the capacity for free will, many have therefore looked for a spiritual path that is more to their liking.

The Bible’s message is clear IMO.....all humankind are being tested as to fitness for citizenship in the new world to come. Abuse of free will caused a rift between man and God. He allowed them to exercise their free will to either save themselves and be granted a place in that world, (which is a return to his original purpose for this earth) or to sign their own eviction notice.

The Bible says that there are only two paths.....the right one and the wrong one. The majority, by their own choices, are on the wrong road. (Matthew 7:13-14) They want God to fit their mold, rather than them striving to fit his.

So at the end of the day, without any coercion from God, each of us will choose our own destiny. Hearts are being tested to see who will qualify to become citizens of God’s incoming kingdom....those who will truly love God, be willingly compliant with His laws, and be peaceable with their neighbors.
God will reject those who are rebellious by nature because the Bible says that rebellion is what got us into this situation in the first place. There will be no place for those who wish to dictate their own terms for life.....to live it as they wish.

So the path we choose will determine if we even have a future....we are here for a reason....not just to please ourselves.

That is how I see it.

WhyIsThatSo

Deeje…….just curious, do you think Kobe "chose the destiny" he recently experienced ? Not that he is any better or worse than anyone else. I'm sure there were many other people who died in a helicopter crash that same day, and probably some more "moral" than he was. He was just famous that's all. So, when you say things like "we choose our own destiny" , what's wrong with this picture ?