• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it make sense to use ''Satan'' for an atheistic religious group?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Does it actually make sense for an atheistic religious group to use what they consider an ''archetype'' /fictional character, as part of their atheistic religious ideas? Why?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
If they believe in Satan, they're not atheists, are they??

That is an argument, imo, considering that the 'being', or character being referenced, is not a 'fictional' character, textually or traditionally. Hence, does the character maintain the meaning/s/ being ascribed to it, if the inference, is that it is fictional.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Well I for one am not a student of Satan or satanism, so I couldn't answer your question.

Jumi

You're talking about LaVey-type Satanists I think. It makes sense to them for some reason or they get a kick out of scaring people who believe in Satan and have fear for it driven into them since childhood from their religion or through things such as conspiracy theory.

Jedster

Does it actually make sense for an atheistic religious group to use what they consider an ''archetype'' /fictional character, as part of their atheistic religious ideas? Why?
Satan can mean adversary/prosecutor(in Hebrew)... so why not?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You're talking about LaVey-type Satanists I think. It makes sense to them for some reason or they get a kick out of scaring people who believe in Satan and have fear for it driven into them since childhood from their religion or through things such as conspiracy theory.

That could be part of the reasoning. I'm not familiar with the 'usual' inference to the Satan figure, that you are referring to, however, so my opinion may be slightly skewed regarding this, /religiously/.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Does it actually make sense for an atheistic religious group to use what they consider an ''archetype'' /fictional character, as part of their atheistic religious ideas?
To me I don't understand atheism outside of atheistic-materialism. An atheist believer in Satan has some explaining to do before I would say it makes sense.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Well...it doesnt make a lot of sense to me personally, but then again communion falls into that bucket too.

From the church of Satan website...

Satan to us is a symbol of pride, liberty and individualism, and it serves as an external metaphorical projection of our highest personal potential. We do not believe in Satan as a being or person.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Not really, but it's their religion so whatever...

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member
Sort of. "Satan" is the personification of the natural desires of man that has been crushed under religious-authoritarian morality and inhibitions. Le Vey believed in the need for ritual and mysticism so projecting the "true" nature of man onto a Satan figure makes a certain amount of sense.

To me I don't understand atheism outside of atheistic-materialism. An atheist believer in Satan has some explaining to do before I would say it makes sense.

Atheism/Materialism can "blur" with religion. it's highly debatable but if you think that religion is a reflection of an aspect of universal human psychology, some aspects of "religious" ideas would continue even without a belief in god. This is unique t "strong-atheists" because the conscious rejection of belief in god leaves a "void" which needs to be filled with new ideas. Atheists may therefore create rituals by which to organise social life and as a celebration of man. In Marxist ideology this is known as "God-Building" and was officially considered a "deviation" from Marxist orthodoxy. In 1920's Russia there were attempts "Red Baptisms" where babies were "Octobered" as well as "Red Marriages" to replace Religious Rituals. There wasn't however much attempt at Funeral rituals though beyond Public processions for important figures. The current Ideology of North Korea known as "Juche" may debatably have revived some of these ideas in near deifying Kim il Sung, whilst still being a nominally atheist-materialist worldview, but it's a tricky one to classify. Cult like behaviour was still common amongst the communist-atheist types, particularly leader worship (e.g. Mao's "little red book"), so they behaved like religious fanatics even though they weren't discernibly "religious" in any recognisable sense.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Speaking as a theistic Satanist... No it has never personally made any sense to me past my teenage angst atheism phase.

Generally, it's just confusing as hell to everyone who is not them... lol

Christians = Follow Christ
Buddhists = Follow Buddha
Satanists = Atheists that use Satan like a puppet? Ok, confusing -- but they could have just as well picked the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
etc...

Since Satanists are generally not religious I prefer to call them LaVeyists which more accurately describes what they are. To me Satanists have something to do with Satan either in a religious sense or at least as some sort of "big spirit" that they admire and seek to be involved with. Of course, 99% of the cool kids will disagree with my opinion. ;)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Satan isn't deified in Christian theology, so why wouldn't it make sense for atheists to utilize the concept? They can do the same things the Christians do - acknowledge it as a thing, without deifying it.

Granted, when it gets down to practice, how both groups regard Satan ends up being analogous to how someone who deifies it would look, but that just speaks to the uselessness of the labels "theist" and "atheist" along with the nebulous nature of the term "god."

Altfish

Veteran Member
Risking the wrath of all Satanists and Pastafarians, as I understand it these are similar non-belief systems. People who support The Flying Spaghetti Monster and The Satanic Temple are just using them as a way of showing how crazy some (all?) religions are.
By declaring themselves as a religion they can also demand equal rights as that given to the 'approved' religions.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Yes.
Especially when said group do not believe that a being named Satan actually exists but rather adopt a philosophy based upon said fictional character.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
You're asking two different questions here . . . Post Title:
Does it make sense to use ''Satan'' for an atheistic religious group?
What exactly is the question?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
As an ordained Pastafarian of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (Pasta be Upon Him,) I would have to say that it makes perfect sense! (Your mileage may vary.)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Atheism/Materialism can "blur" with religion. it's highly debatable but if you think that religion is a reflection of an aspect of universal human psychology, some aspects of "religious" ideas would continue even without a belief in god. This is unique t "strong-atheists" because the conscious rejection of belief in god leaves a "void" which needs to be filled with new ideas. Atheists may therefore create rituals by which to organise social life and as a celebration of man. In Marxist ideology this is known as "God-Building" and was officially considered a "deviation" from Marxist orthodoxy. In 1920's Russia there were attempts "Red Baptisms" where babies were "Octobered" as well as "Red Marriages" to replace Religious Rituals. There wasn't however much attempt at Funeral rituals though beyond Public processions for important figures. The current Ideology of North Korea known as "Juche" may debatably have revived some of these ideas in near deifying Kim il Sung, whilst still being a nominally atheist-materialist worldview, but it's a tricky one to classify. Cult like behaviour was still common amongst the communist-atheist types, particularly leader worship (e.g. Mao's "little red book"), so they behaved like religious fanatics even though they weren't discernibly "religious" in any recognisable sense.
I understand. This form of 'Satan' belief from my way of looking at things still falls under the over-arching materialist umbrella.