• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Islam Promote Violence?

Peace4all

kai said:
no one insulted the prophet but they have insulted god by attacking churches and killing a nun ,i wouldnt be proud of death threats to the pope.

Trust me there; I'm proud of Muslims standing up to defend themselves, not so much about the churches. If the people that desecrated the churches were really practicing Muslims then they would remember the command from the prophet PBUH to respect the shrines and beliefs of any other faith.

kai

ragamuffin
Peace4all said:
Trust me there; I'm proud of Muslims standing up to defend themselves, not so much about the churches. If the people that desecrated the churches were really practicing Muslims then they would remember the command from the prophet PBUH to respect the shrines and beliefs of any other faith.
so what exactly is it you are proud of because from what i have seen none of the protesters understood a a word the pope said.

HopefulNikki

Peace4all said:
Trust me there; I'm proud of Muslims standing up to defend themselves, not so much about the churches.
You're proud of Muslims who revolt against the papal allegation that Islam is violent, by perpetrating violence against innocent people? If this is "defending themselves," I'd hate to see what "being aggressive" is...

Peace4all

MidnightBlue said:
Anyone can quote the Qur'an to show that the Qur'an doesn't promote violence, and anybody can quote the Gospels to show that Jesus doesn't promote violence. The problem is that Muslims in real life, more often than not, ignore the Qur'an and promote violence; Christians in real life, more often than not, ignore Jesus and promote violence. The Qur'an is not Islam, and Jesus was not a Christian.

Muslims riot in the streets and kill Christians at the slightest provocation. George Bush and Tony Blair, both Evangelical Christians, pursue policies of torture and unprovoked attack on other countries with the full and unquestioning support of the majority of Evangelical Christians in their countries. Benedict of Rome, like all Popes of Rome, condemns religious coercion in countries where his followers have no political power, and demands religious coercion in countries where his followers have political power.

It's often said that those who promote violence aren't "true" Muslims or "true" Christians. That doesn't mean anything to me at all. They're the Muslims and Christians we've got.

Don't preach the Qur'an to me to try to convince me that Islam isn't a violent religion; the actions of Muslims show me otherwise. Don't preach the teachings of Jesus to show me that Christianity isn't a violent religion; the actions of Christians show me otherwise.

Preach the Qur'an, preach it as long as you live, but not to me. Preach to Qur'an to Muslims, to turn them back to its teachings. Preach the teachings of Jesus, but not to me. Preach to Christians, to turn them back to Jesus' teachings. When Islam becomes a religion of peace, when Christianity becomes a religion of peace, we'll see it in the actions of Muslims and Christians, and we won't need convincing. It's not what we see now.

Frubals, Very powerful and to the point HOWEVER....

It's unfair that you can rate my entire religion by some maniacs overseas. I can pull out of each religion a bad seed that uses religion to justify his wrong doings. Please look at the Statistics! More than 98 percent of Muslims are not terrorists I've met some great Christian men in life, Have met great Hindus in my life, I have met great Muslims in my life, and vise versa too.

Peace4all

kai said:
so what exactly is it you are proud of because from what i have seen none of the protesters understood a a word the pope said.

My Dear Brother,

I do understand what the pope said, but in a way you are right; it's good to get a different view in. So maybe you would like to tell us what he meant?

kai

ragamuffin
Peace4all said:
My Dear Brother,

I do understand what the pope said, but in a way you are right; it's good to get a different view in. So maybe you would like to tell us what he meant?
He meant that man must be accountable for their actions , that rationality must be a factor in their actions,and you cannot excuse violence by infering that you are perpetrating it in the name of god, that god does not like violence that god does not like blood

Peace4all

HopefulNikki said:
You're proud of Muslims who revolt against the papal allegation that Islam is violent, by perpetrating violence against innocent people? If this is "defending themselves," I'd hate to see what "being aggressive" is...

I knew it, I knew it , I knew it
:banghead3

I knew that people would some how take my words and twist it some way to make me look like a terrorist sympathizer. No, I'm proud of the Muslims who stand up for themselves and tell the pope that he can't call our prophet a "Barbarian that commanded to spread his message by the sword." If Muslims were to allow open insults to be thrown like that towards the prophet then in a matter of months we would have hundreds of cartoons and lampoons making fun of our prophet.

Sometimes your going to have a few, of the 1.2 Billion Muslim people, that are going to go way over board
( like :computer: that) and going to end up doing something that is uncalled for and that really does prove the point of the pope. Those .3% of protests i am not proud of.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
MidnightBlue said:
Anyone can quote the Qur'an to show that the Qur'an doesn't promote violence, and anybody can quote the Gospels to show that Jesus doesn't promote violence. The problem is that Muslims in real life, more often than not, ignore the Qur'an and promote violence; Christians in real life, more often than not, ignore Jesus and promote violence. The Qur'an is not Islam, and Jesus was not a Christian.

Muslims riot in the streets and kill Christians at the slightest provocation. George Bush and Tony Blair, both Evangelical Christians, pursue policies of torture and unprovoked attack on other countries with the full and unquestioning support of the majority of Evangelical Christians in their countries. Benedict of Rome, like all Popes of Rome, condemns religious coercion in countries where his followers have no political power, and demands religious coercion in countries where his followers have political power.

It's often said that those who promote violence aren't "true" Muslims or "true" Christians. That doesn't mean anything to me at all. They're the Muslims and Christians we've got.

Don't preach the Qur'an to me to try to convince me that Islam isn't a violent religion; the actions of Muslims show me otherwise. Don't preach the teachings of Jesus to show me that Christianity isn't a violent religion; the actions of Christians show me otherwise.

Preach the Qur'an, preach it as long as you live, but not to me. Preach to Qur'an to Muslims, to turn them back to its teachings. Preach the teachings of Jesus, but not to me. Preach to Christians, to turn them back to Jesus' teachings. When Islam becomes a religion of peace, when Christianity becomes a religion of peace, we'll see it in the actions of Muslims and Christians, and we won't need convincing. It's not what we see now.
As far as Christianity is concerned, don't confuse false prophets ,teachers and doctrines with the truth of who and what Jesus came to prophecy, teach or practice.
His truth will march on long after we are gone, if He does'nt return first ,I say come quickly Lord!!!

Peace4all

kai said:
He meant that man must be accountable for their actions , that rationality must be a factor in their actions,and you cannot excuse violence by infering that you are perpetrating it in the name of god, that god does not like violence that god does not like blood

So what does the the Prophet PBUH and that quote below have to do with that message?
“…Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached” Pope Benedict XVI.

Peace and Blessings
-Peace4All

kai

ragamuffin
Peace4all said:

I knew that people would some how take my words and twist it some way to make me look like a terrorist sympathizer. No, I'm proud of the Muslims who stand up for themselves and tell the pope that he can't call our prophet a
"Barbarian that commanded to spread his message by the sword."
If Muslims were to allow open insults to be thrown like that towards the prophet then in a matter of months we would have hundreds of cartoons and lampoons making fun of our prophet.

Sometimes your going to have a few, of the 1.2 Billion Muslim people, that are going to go way over board
( like :computer: that) and going to end up doing something that is uncalled for and that really does prove the point of the pope. Those .3% of protests i am not proud of.
he definately didnt say that have you read the speech because you are badly misquoting

gnomon

MidnightBlue said:

Generalized.

Peace4all

roli said:
don't confuse false prophets ,teachers and doctrines with the truth of who and what Jesus came to prophecy, teach or practice.
I beg to differ.

Im trying to defend Islam right now rather than attack other religions so we can just have that little debate later;)

kai

ragamuffin
Peace4all said:
So what does the the Prophet PBUH and that quote below have to do with that message?
“…Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached” Pope Benedict XVI.

Peace and Blessings this was a question to a muslim by Manuel 11 when a muslim army was at the gates , it was a question he was asking, Manuel was speaking from the bitterest of experiences: that he personally lived through and witnessed the Turkish invasion of the medieval Balkans ]-Peace4All[/I]

Peace4all

kai said:
he definately didnt say that have you read the speech because you are badly misquoting

Ok "Barbarien" is what he was implying the quote is “…Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached” Pope Benedict XVI.

Sorry if i got a littly mad there. Note to self: *Remember no throwing chairs across the forums.* :slap:

Sorry guys i have to go to bed for now.

Peace and Blessings
-Peace4All

kai

ragamuffin
Peace4all said:
Ok "Barbarien" is what he was implying the quote is “…Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached” Pope Benedict XVI.

Sorry if i got a littly mad there. Note to self: *Remember no throwing chairs across the forums.* :slap:

Sorry guys i have to go to bed for now.

Peace and Blessings
-Peace4All

ok speak with you again

HopefulNikki

Peace4all said:

I knew that people would some how take my words and twist it some way to make me look like a terrorist sympathizer. No, I'm proud of the Muslims who stand up for themselves and tell the pope that he can't call our prophet a "Barbarian that commanded to spread his message by the sword." If Muslims were to allow open insults to be thrown like that towards the prophet then in a matter of months we would have hundreds of cartoons and lampoons making fun of our prophet.

Sadly, the worldwide events in opposition to the Pope's comments, many of which were violent, resulting even in deaths, almost certainly comprised more than .3% of the protests.

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
I am in a debate on another board and here is one of my posts along with the response to it...I am running out of arguments...I already pointed out that anyone can quote from any Holy Book and find passages for and against violence...I've tried making the point that those passages are not representative of the whole message that you have to read around them to see what's going on in that particular section. I've pointed out that extremists take passages from their Book and twist it to suit there own agenda...

But the wacko crap that you will read through the response to my post has me just kind of stumped..you can't argue with irrationality and ignorance. I also made the point that poor and uneducated people over in the Middle East have to rely on their leaders to teach the message of the Qur'an and those leaders twist it, again, for their own purposes...I can't get through the point that Islam is not a violent and twisted religion any more than Judaism or Christianity..that the violent and twisted people who distort the message are resonsible for all the violence.

:banghead3 HELP!! Ok...read on:

Only a portion of my post had been quoted by this person

(Originally Posted by candi
Again, though, you will have your extremists who will take every word as law. In the Qur'an, unbeliever and infidel do not necessarily mean Christians and Jews.
Why condemn a whole people because of the actions of a few. I don't judge all of Christianity because a few of the radical Christians are threatening my freedoms in this country every day. I don't condemn all of Islam for the actions of a bunch of nutty terrorists. NO, I condemn the people responsible for the atrocities committed in God's name. ONLY the people responsible.)
The following is the response to my post...
(Where is the outrage from the millions of Muzlims who don't belong to this extreme few as you call them. There are millions of Muslims in this country alone and how
many do you hear from condemning those extremists. The silence is deafening.

Today they are going nuts about the Pope, and in doing so are reconfirming
exactly what he said. No amount of apologies are enough for them, they have
issued a fatwa for the Pope to be killed.
Even if you discard all the teachings of Muhammed, there is one basic premise
of Islam that has never changed, and that is the premise that all unbelievers must convert or be killed. And now they are so brazen, they offer these choices to the Pope and to the President. Even in an attempt to be PC about it, they say, convert and find peace, which everyone knows is the same as convert or be killed.
The millions who don't believe in this are useless, because they live in fear
that to voice opposition would be a death sentence for them. They are held
hostage by Islam, and that is why the minority extremists rule the Muslim
world.
Please take you head out of the sand and read the following. Though I can't confirm whether or not it is authentic, mispellings notwithstanding, (I find this part particularly unbelievable) I have shown it to several Muslims who say that yes, this is basically the game plan for Muslim domination of the West. The plan is well on its way in Europe and has made inroads already in the US.

"Warning to the West"

I was born and raised as Muslim. My whole family is still Muslim. I know every genetic code of Muslim. I am an insider. I left Islam when I understood that Islam is a sick and evil religion. Following are the Islamic message to the West.

To the infidels of the West:

Constitution for the new Islamic Republic of EU and USA is under construction.

Meanwhile American laws will protect us.
Democrats and Leftist will support us.
UNO will legitimize us.
CAIR will incubate us.
ACLU will empower us.
Western Universities will educate us.
Mosques will shelter us
OPEC will finance us
Hollywood will love us.
Koffi Annan will pass politically correct sympathetic statement for Jihadists.

Our children will immigrate from Pakistan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Indonesia and even from India to the US and to the other Western countries. They will go to the West for education in full scholarship. America is paying and will continue to pay for our children’s educations and their upbringing in state funded Islamic schools.

We will use your welfare system. Our children will also send money home while they are preparing for Jihad.

We will take the advantage of American kindness, gullibility, and compassion. We will say one thing on the camera and teach another thing to our children at home. We will give subliminal messages to our children to uphold Islam at any cost. Our children in America will always care more about Islamic Country’s interest than US interest.

We will teach our children Islamic supremacy from the very childhood. We will teach them not to compromise with Infidel. Once we do that from the very early age our children won’t hesitate to be martyr.

Our children will marry Caucasian in Europe and in America. We will mixed with intricate fabric of the Western society but still will remember to Jihad when time comes. Who are we?
We are the “sleeper cells”.
We will raise our children to be loyal to Islam and Mohammad only.

At the time of the real fight we will hold our own children as our armor. When American or Israeli troops shoot at us the world will be watching. Imagine,… Imagine the news in the world “Death of Muslim babies by infidels”.

Keep your Nukes in your curio cabinets. Keep your aircraft carrier or hightech weaponery in the showcase. You can't use them against us because of your own higher moral standard. We will take the advantage of your higher moral standard and use it against you. We won’t hesitate to use our children as suicide bomber against you.

Visualize the news flash all over the world, …Moslem mother is sobbing, ….crying. ….Her babies are killed by Jews and Americans, the whole world is watching live. Hundreds of millions of Muslims all around the world are boiling. They will march through Europe. We will use our women to produce more babies who will in turn be used as armor/shield. Our babies are the gift from Allah for Jihad.

West manufactures their tanks in the factory. We will manufacture our military force by natural means, by producing more babies. That is the way it is cheaper.

You infidels at this site cannot defeat us. We are 1.2 billion. We will double again.
On the camera:
We will always say, “Islam is the religion of Peace.”
We will say, “Jihad is actually inner Jihad.”
Moderate Muslim will say there is no link between Islam and Terrorism and the West will believe it because the West is so gullible.
Moderate Muslim all over the world will incubate Jihadist by their talk by defending Islam.
Using Western Legal system we will assert our Sharia Laws, slowly but surely.
We will increase in number. We will double again.

You will be impressed when you meet a moderate Muslim personally. As your next-door neighbor, coworker, student, teacher, engineer, professionals you may even like us. You will find us well mannered, polite, humble that will make you say, “wow, Muslims are good and peaceful people”, But, we will stab you in your back when you are sleeping as we did on 911.
There will be more 911 in Europe and in America. We will say, “We do not support terrorism but America got what it deserved.”

We will recite Quran and say Allah-Hu-Akbar before beheading infidels, as we have been doing it.

21st Century Islamic Warfare
Let's see the effectiveness of Islamic warfare.
Muslims Vs. the West.

Bill Clinton ordered 50 Tomahawks Cruise missiles costing $100,000,000 each to destroy $50 mud houses that belonged to Osama's family. What a stupidity? What a poor ROI (Return On Investment)

In return Osama's attack on the US.
Cost: 19 martyrs and less than $500,000.
Cost to the West: over 3,000 dead.
At least $1,000,000,000,000 (one trillion) dollars economical loss in one year. This includes the ripple effect.

Osama's ROI with respect to: life = 3,000/19 = 158 fold.
Dollar = $1 tr./500K = 2,000,000 fold

Allah-Hu-Akbar.
Islam will rule the world. There is nothing you can do. Even if the per capita GDP of the world drops to half of its present level as a consequence of Islamic laws in place all over the world but still Islam will rule the word.

From your point of view we bring to the world to the dark ages, so be it. But still Islam wins, West looses.

Saudi Arabia's $100 billion investment over the last 3 decades on over 60 thousands Madrassas and school all over the Islamic world is finally paying off. While the West was busy inventing medicine, increasing life expectancy, elevating human suffering, decoding human gene to find cure for Cancer, heart disease etc, launching space shuttle, inventing internet, working on new laws/theory for human rights, developing better economical models for a more prosperous world, while ACLU was gaining control over common sense, while American ingenuity was benefiting the rest of the world, we Muslims were busy producing over 200 million out of 1.4 billion, Walking, Talking, Non-Thinking, West-Hating, Pre-Programmed, Suicidal, Parasitic, Terrorist Robots.

We will use American’s kindness, fairness, compassion, freedom of speech and non-discriminatory policy against them. We will stab them in the back.

What are you going to do? You are doomed.)

Again, any help with a response to this?

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
This was my original post in response to a bunch of quotes out of the Qur'an that 'promote violence'....
This got the response that I posted a minute ago that I need help responding back too..:drool: I think that made sense.

Anybody can go into any 'Holy Book' and pick out passages that condone violence. Does that mean that the whole message of that particular book is for violence? No. You cannot blame all of one particular religion for the fundementalists taking the message and twisting it to distort the message. Christians and Jews all have their fair share of lunatics who do this. You have to take into consideration when the books where written...many passages just plain don't apply anymore..and most people with common sense would agree. Again, though, you will have your extremists who will take every word as law. In the Qur'an, unbeliever and infidel do not necessarily mean Christians and Jews.

"Sura 2 V. 60-Verily , they who believe (Muslims), and they who follow the Jewish Religion, and the Christians and the Sabietes-whoever of these believeth in God and the last day, and doeth that which is right, shall have their reward with their Lord:fear shall not come upon them, neither shall they be grieved."

I can go through and find more but I won't waste my time I think that one sums up the rest nicely.

I am not a follower of any religion, but I feel the need to point out that while the Books themselves may teach one thing people have a way of taking out bits and pieces and distorting them. Do you really think that the fundies in charge of teaching the poor, uneducated people over there taught them what the Qur'an really says or their version of it? I can take out quotes from the Bible that say that anyone who is not Christian is wrong.

People wrote these books. People have distorted their messages. I keep getting approached by people who tell me I am going to go to hell because I don't believe Jesus died on a cross to save us all from our sins.
I don't believe in hell. Jesus was a great teacher and a victim of the politics of his time.

All the books have been edited and modified, had things added or deleted. The Bible has things written in it that religious scholars are certain aren't even the words of Jesus because the tone is different. But Christianity still has people who will take those words and say it is the TRUTH.
Radical Muslims will take bits and parts of the Qur'an and say that those words are the truth.

Why condemn a whole people because of the actions of a few. I don't judge all of Christianity because a few of the radical Christians are threatening my freedoms in this country every day. I don't condemn all of Islam for the actions of a bunch of nutty terrorists. NO, I condemn the people responsible for the atrocities committed in God's name. ONLY the people responsible.
To do otherwise would make me as bad as the religious fundamentalists that I despise so much.

Candi

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."
George Washington Carver

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I don't think Islam as practiced by most Muslims is any worse than the regular promotion and glorification of violence to which Americans are accustomed.

American society is inundated with images of violence, though not explicitly in the name of religion (Mel Gibson excepted, of course). The two constants in American popular culture - advertising, movies, music , video games and television are sex and violence. With very few exceptions, our culture gleefully celebrates and glorifies violence and objectifies sexuality.

Although if you dig a bit you'll find references to it, neither culture spends much effort to lift up the peacemakers.