• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Islam have to have a caliph/caliphate?

ZooGirl02

yes it is obligatory.

I see the you are the only one who has so far said that a caliphate is necessary or obligatory. What then do you think about Islam in its current state in which most Muslims would say that there is no valid caliphate in existence?

use_your_brain

I see the you are the only one who has so far said that a caliphate is necessary or obligatory. What then do you think about Islam in its current state in which most Muslims would say that there is no valid caliphate in existence?
Why do they say that the current state is not a valid caliphate?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is the Caliphate a particularly Sunni concept?

I occasionally hear from people hoping for a Caliphate, or perhaps regreting that there is not one anymore. Any comments on why a Caliphate would be wanted?

use_your_brain

The only organization I know of that claims to be a caliphate is Islamic State, also known as ISIS. Most Muslims do not believe that it is a valid caliphate.
Many muslims also accept and go for it. why do the other muslims not believe it is a valid caliphate?
WHY?

use_your_brain

Is the Caliphate a particularly Sunni concept?

I occasionally hear from people hoping for a Caliphate, or perhaps regreting that there is not one anymore. Any comments on why a Caliphate would be wanted?
Prophet Muhammad (saaw) said:

"There will be Nabuwa with Rehma (prophethood with Mercy). Then there will be Khilafah with Ba’yah (pledge). Then Allah will change it when He wishes. Then there will be Mulkan ‘Adoodan (Rule by force). Then Allah will change it when He wishes. Then there will be Mulkan Jabriya (against people’s will). Then Allah will change it when He wishes. Then there will be Khilafah Ala Minhajin Nabuwa (on the path of prophethood). The earth and the sky will bestow their treasures."(Musnad Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Courtesy of Khilafah.Org)

or

The Prophet said, "Prophecy will remain among you as long as Allah wishes it to remain, then Allah Most High will remove it. Then there will be a caliphate according to the manner of prophecy as long as Allah wishes it to remain, then Allah Most High will remove it. Then there will be a distressful kingdom which will remain as long as Allah wishes it to remain, then Allah Most High will remove it. Then there will be a proud kingdom which will remain as long as Allah wishes it to remain, then Allah Most High will remove it. Then there will be a caliphate according to the manner followed during the prophethood (by the prophet)." Then he stopped. Habib said: "When Umar ibn AbdulAziz became caliph I wrote to him, mentioning this tradition to him and saying, "I hope you will be the Prince of the Faithful Believers after the distressful and the proud kingdoms." It pleased and charmed him, i.e. Umar ibn AbdulAziz." (Al-Tirmizi, Ahmad, Bayhaqi in Dala'il Nubuwwah)

the Prophet said: "There will be twelve ameers (leaders)", then he said: Meaning, he (the Prophet) said: "All of them are from Quraish."

The Prophet said: "The matter of this nation will continue well-established when they are ruled by twelve caliphs who all belong to Quraysh".

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Actually, I asked if it is noticeably Sunni as a Muslim concept, as in, do Ahmadiya, Sufis and Shias have the concept as well?

Also, with all due respect, I do not find the answer clear by any means.

use_your_brain

Actually, I asked if it is noticeably Sunni as a Muslim concept, as in, do Ahmadiya, Sufis and Shias have the concept as well?

Also, with all due respect, I do not find the answer clear by any means.
Caliphate is the hidden concept in sunni community, since sunni is the community that suppose to accept prophet tradition (hadith).
Khilafah is the divine leadership since it merely bases on Quran and hadith. DO you see any muslims community led by a figure that base on proper islamic teaching, including in treating the islamic enemies?
today muslims have no such that figure.the recent muslim nations rely on either monarchy, democracy, nationalism or secularism.
caliphate or khilafah or what ever we entitle it prefer pure islamic fundamentalist teaching over the undivine systems such as democracy, monarchy and so on.