• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Islam correct the mistakes of it's parent religions?

Humanistheart

I have read very little of the Quaran, but I am curious if it corrects many of the glaring errors of judaism and christianity?

For example, christians call jesus the christ, but in the bible it makes it very clear jesus in no way fullfilled the messianic prophicies. If anything he did the opposite. Keeping that in mind, I'm curious how islam addresses the issue of jesus. If he's not considered a messiah, or if the Quaran provides passages that assure he is in fact the messiah, unlike the bible which contradicts that notion.

Likewise, there are many problems with judiasm. For example the entire book of genises. Or, more interestingly, the fact that the davidic covenant was brocken by their god. God had promised them isreal for all time, and that a king of the line of david would forever sit on the throne. This obviously didn't happen, and the jews did nothing within their contract with god to warrent this, at least according to their bible. They also have yet to be sent a messiah.

So I'm curious, how does Islam, a religion that was born from the abrhamic tradition, deal with the problems of it's parent religions?

-Thank you for your thoughts.

maro

muslimah
Islam has no parent religions , Islam is the parent religion if you ask me

Moses, Jesus & Muhammad - Three Men, One Message
For example, christians call jesus the christ, but in the bible it makes it very clear jesus in no way fullfilled the messianic prophicies. If anything he did the opposite. Keeping that in mind, I'm curious how islam addresses the issue of jesus. If he's not considered a messiah, or if the Quaran provides passages that assure he is in fact the messiah, unlike the bible which contradicts that notion.

Jesus is the messiah...that was mentioned in more than a quranic verse

[3:45][And mention] when the angels said, "O Mary, indeed Allāh gives you good tidings of a word from Him, whose name will be the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary – distinguished in this world and the Hereafter and among those brought near [to Allāh].

[4:157] And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allāh." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.

[4:171-172] O People of the Scripture, do not commit excess in your religion or say about Allāh except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was but a messenger of Allāh and His word which He directed to Mary and a soul [created at a command] from Him. So believe in Allāh and His messengers. And do not say, "Three"; desist – it is better for you. Indeed, Allāh is but one God. Exalted is He above having a son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. And sufficient is Allāh as Disposer of affairs.

Never would the Messiah disdain to be a servant of Allāh, nor would the angels near [to Him]. And whoever disdains His worship and is arrogant – He will gather them to Himself all together.

[5:17] They have certainly disbelieved who say that Allāh is Christ, the son of Mary. Say, "Then who could prevent Allāh at all if He had intended to destroy Christ, the son of Mary, or his mother or everyone on the earth?" And to Allāh belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth and whatever is between them. He creates what He wills, and Allāh is over all things competent.

[5:72] They have certainly disbelieved who say, "Allāh is the Messiah, the son of Mary" while the Messiah has said, "O Children of Israel, worship Allāh, my Lord and your Lord." Indeed, he who associates others with Allāh – Allāh has forbidden him Paradise, and his refuge is the Fire. And there are not for the wrongdoers any helpers.

[5:75] The Messiah, son of Mary, was not but a messenger; [other] messengers have passed on before him. And his mother was a supporter of truth. They both used to eat food. Look how We make clear to them the signs; then look how they are deluded.

for more deatails : http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam/66512-true-message-jesus-christ.html

Likewise, there are many problems with judiasm. For example the entire book of genises. Or, more interestingly, the fact that the davidic covenant was brocken by their god. God had promised them isreal for all time, and that a king of the line of david would forever sit on the throne. This obviously didn't happen, and the jews did nothing within their contract with god to warrent this, at least according to their bible. They also have yet to be sent a messiah.

surat al isra (chapter 17 ) is one of the most chapters that mentions Bani Israel..and the future prophecies they will go through

Altafsir.com - The Holy Quran ÇáÞÑÂä ÇáßÑíã

Last edited:
I think maro has given you good answer i just want to add little bit more to it

First you must know what Islam is , most non-muslims thinks that Islam is a new religion which is wrong , Islam (means "submission to the will of God". )is the religion of all the prophets , all the prophets teaches the same message of Allah.

Islam states that Allah sent messengers and prophets throughout the ages with the message of Unity of God, and accountability in the Hereafter. Islam thus makes it an article of faith to believe in all the earlier prophets, starting with Adam, and continuing with Noah, Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Yaqoob, Moses, Dawood, Yousuf and Eisa (christian neamed them christ) amongst many others (may peace be on them all).

Hope fully this remove your concept of what you are calling parent religion , all prophets teaches the same message so how can be there a concept like parent religion among the same thing.

I'm curious how islam addresses the issue of jesus

You already get a detailed answered from maro about this with reference quoted takne from Quran verse , i just want to add littel bit more

Position of Jesus (pbuh) in Islam:
(i)Islam is the only non-Christian faith, which makes it an article of faith to believe in Jesus (pbuh). No Muslim is a Muslim if he does not believe in Jesus (pbuh).

(ii) We believe that he was one of the mightiest Messengers of Allah (swt).

(iii) We believe that he was born miraculously, without any male intervention, which many modern day Christians do not believe.

(iv) We believe he was the Messiah translated Christ (pbuh).

(v) We believe that he gave life to the dead with God’s permission.

(iv) We believe that he healed those born blind, and the lepers with God’s permission.

Does Islam correct the mistakes of it's parent religions?
as i already try to convey about this that as all prophets teaches us the same message of Allah so there was not need to arise the question of parent religion .

About the term mistakes , all the books like Torat , Injeel , Zaboor , Quran or any other book which we did not know , which Allah has send to his messengerS are free from any mistakes , we cannot even think that any of these contain any mistakes , so simply religion itselft does not contain any mistake , its people who do wrong thing and teaches others as they are part of their religion.

In this sense , Islam correct all the mistakes/false thing added by people in the religion just for thier own profit and called them as religion teaching , which was actully not the teaching of religion.

Hope you understand and please ignore my bad english.

Humanistheart

Islam has no parent religions , Islam is the parent religion if you ask me

Ah, my apologies. I should have been looking at it from a more muslim perspective when I said 'parent' religion. Perhaps sibling religions would have been more apropriate, or just the other abrahamic religions?

Humanistheart

Thank you for the responces, but I'm a little confused. Does the quran simply state that jesus is the messiah or does it state why he was, and what the messiah was to be? As per my previous example, jesus did not fullfill the messianic prophicies found in the bible, so from an Islamic perspective was this merely an error in the books that now make up the bible? Does it address the concept that the messiah was prophicied, or from an Islamic persepctive were there no prophicies concerning the messiah?

And does Islam address the idea that god seemingly abandoned his 'chosen' people, the Isrealites? And if so, does it say why?

Last edited:

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you for the responces, but I'm a little confused. Does the quran simply state that jesus is the messiah or does it state why he was, and what the messiah was to be? As per my previous example, jesus did not fullfill the messianic prophicies found in the bible, so from an Islamic perspective was this merely an error in the books that now make up the bible? Does it address the concept that the messiah was prophicied, or from an Islamic persepctive were there no prophicies concerning the messiah?

And does Islam address the idea that god seemingly abandoned his 'chosen' people, the Isrealites? And if so, does it say why?

Welcome to Islam DIR. :)

The Quran does state that Jesus is the Messiah that people have differed on his statues because some thought he was a god, some thought he wasn't a prophet at all, etc.

In Islam, we are taught that Jesus was born of a miraclous birth, because he had no father. Nevertheless, he is not the son of God, nor he is a god. The Quran states that Jesus had no father, just like Adam.

He was just a Messenger and a Prophet who hold the title of Messiah.

Allah didn't abandon sons of Israel, but they broke the covenant beteen them and Him for killing the messengers and disobeying Allah.

Fatihah

I have read very little of the Quaran, but I am curious if it corrects many of the glaring errors of judaism and christianity?

So I'm curious, how does Islam, a religion that was born from the abrhamic tradition, deal with the problems of it's parent religions?

Response: For starters, in islam, we are told that the religion of the first man and prophet, Adam (saas),is islam. Therefore, islam has no parent religion, but is the first religion and it is more fitting to say that islam is the parent of the other Abrahamic faiths. The word "islam" means submission to the will of Allah(God), which is what all of the Abrahamic prophets did, including Jesus and Moses.

In islam, Jesus (saas) is a prophet who was born of the virgin Mary miraculously and was sent to the people of Israel. He was neither killed, nor crucified. He is neither God, nor the begotten Son of God. He performed many miracles by the will of Allah as guidance to the people of Israel and will return in the last days. He was given the injil (gospel) as guidance for his people.

Moses (saas) is also a prophet of islam. He was given the taurat (torah) as guidance for the israelites of his time. He performed miracles as well such as splitting the red sea and turning his rod into a serpent.

Both Jesus and Moses are prophets of islam, thereby being muslims. Each of them were prophets for only their people of their time. Their message was lost over time but as prophecied in the taurat and injil, a last and final messenger was to come and correct any misunderstandings and fulfill the previous prophecies and guide humankind to all truth. The final messenger is Muhammad(Saw).

Fatihah

Response: As for the unfulfillment prophecies in the bible by Jesus, perhaps it would better for you to explain what some of them are so that I am able to give the best answer. There are prophecies in the bible of an upcoming prophet (messiah) which were fulfilled, as many of them referred to Muhammad (saw), not Jesus (saas).

Concerning the israelites, Allah made a covenant with the israelites to keep the laws and the commandments. However, they did not and broke the covenant.

Humanistheart

Response: As for the unfulfillment prophecies in the bible by Jesus, perhaps it would better for you to explain what some of them are so that I am able to give the best answer. There are prophecies in the bible of an upcoming prophet (messiah) which were fulfilled, as many of them referred to Muhammad (saw), not Jesus (saas).

Concerning the israelites, Allah made a covenant with the israelites to keep the laws and the commandments. However, they did not and broke the covenant.

Thank you for you're imput, I look forward to your answer.

My understanding is the davidic convenant did not have conditions to it, wheather they kept the commandments or not it was to be their land. I list my resonning here if you'd like to look it over and give me your opinion :) http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...ebates/89821-davidic-covenant-not-upheld.html

As for the messianic prophicies to which jesus did not fullfill, this was a list I made on another thread, so forgive me if there's some irrelevant bit's left from that post that I didn't erase here.

"In relation to the messiah (christ) messiah translates to 'annointed', usually reffering to the holy oil used to annoint kings (Exodus 29:7, I Kings 1:39, II Kings 9:3) . Jesus never recieved such an annointment.

The messiah was to build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28). This is not meant as a metaphor, it was to be done in the physical realm. Jesus did not do this.

The messiah was to usher in a reign of peace across the world (Isaiah 2:4) in which not only would nation not rise against nation, but suffering, hatred, and oppresion would cease. Again jesus failed here. Not only did he not fulfill this but he says himself he did not come to bring peace but a sword, and his followers (christians) have wracked up the largest body count of any group in the whole of human history, quite the opisite of what was expected.

Along those same lines, it's said the messiah would bring knowledge of the god of isreal to all nations of the world (Zechariah 14:9). Jesus did not do this in his time and even today, almost 2000 years later his followers still have not accomplished this. There are still people's who have not heard of jesus or the abrahamic god.

The messiah was to be called emanuel. I cannot recall an instance in the bible were jesus' family or followers called him by this. People call him it today, but only in hindsight, which I do not feel quite meets the prophecy.

There's also the issue that the fortold messaih was to be a blood descendant of King david, and jews hold that this is to be on the fathers side. Jesus had no father (as he's god incarnate he's his own father) and thus cannot qualify."

Last edited:

Humanistheart

Response: For starters, in islam, we are told that the religion of the first man and prophet, Adam (saas),is islam. Therefore, islam has no parent religion, but is the first religion and it is more fitting to say that islam is the parent of the other Abrahamic faiths.

Yes, that was pointed out to me earlier in the thread, my apologies for the wording of the Title of the thread.

In islam, Jesus (saas) is a prophet who was born of the virgin Mary miraculously and was sent to the people of Israel. He was neither killed, nor crucified. He is neither God, nor the begotten Son of God. He performed many miracles by the will of Allah as guidance to the people of Israel and will return in the last days. He was given the injil (gospel) as guidance for his people.).
So jesus was just a prophet in Islam, not the messiah?

Last edited:

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, that was pointed out to me earlier in the thread, my apologies for the wording of the Title of the thread.

So jesus was just a prophet in Islam, not the messiah?

Jesus IS the Messiah, and he was nothing but a Messenger of God, just like David, Moses, Noah, Mohammed, etc.

Humanistheart

Jesus IS the Messiah, and he was nothing but a Messenger of God, just like David, Moses, Noah, Mohammed, etc.

So, then they were all messiah's too? Or dispite being the messiah, this made him no different, no more important than the other messengers of god?

In Islam, why is he the messiah?

.lava

Veteran Member

Qur'an calls him Messiah in many verses. here are two examples.

3:45 when the angels said, "O Mary, indeed Allah gives you good tidings of a word from Him, whose name will be the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary - distinguished in this world and the Hereafter and among those brought near

4:157 And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah ." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.

God keeps its promises. it would not break promises it makes. but we people also made some promises to God. i don't know exact story you're referring to. all i can say for sure, God would not do anything unjust. if they did not break their promises, God would not either.

btw, original Bible and original Torah would not need any correction. there's always been one religion in all times. each Prophet explained the same path that leads to God which is submission to God. one either wishes to reach God and by wanting God he would be led to God while he was still alive or he would submit himself to desires of this world and would reach his Rab after his death. so only difference between believer and disbelieve in all Abrahamic religions is the one who believes wishes to reach God before he dies.

Last edited:

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So, then they were all messiah's too? Or dispite being the messiah, this made him no different, no more important than the other messengers of god?

In Islam, why is he the messiah?

He is the only Messiah. There were many interpretations for why he was called the Messiah in Islam but it definitely doesn't match the meaning of "Messiah" to Jews for instance or even Christians.

Humanistheart

He is the only Messiah. There were many interpretations for why he was called the Messiah in Islam but it definitely doesn't match the meaning of "Messiah" to Jews for instance or even Christians.

Many interpretations? Does that mean The Quran doesn't explain why the title messiah is applied to jesus or what it means/indicates?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Many interpretations? Does that mean The Quran doesn't explain why the title messiah is applied to jesus or what it means/indicates?

No, the Quran didn't mention it, but it been recorded in the hadith, and i can give you some of these interpretations if you want.

P.S. I just noticed you weren't a Christian, lol. :p

Humanistheart

No, the Quran didn't mention it, but it been recorded in the hadith, and i can give you some of these interpretations if you want.

P.S. I just noticed you weren't a Christian, lol. :p

So, lava says the quaran calls him the messiah, were you saying the quaran doesn't mention the messiah or just doesn't mention what it means and why jesus qualifies as one? So the title messiah isn't very important?

What is recorded in the hadith concerning this?

Qur'an calls him Messiah in many verses. here are two examples.

3:45 when the angels said, "O Mary, indeed Allah gives you good tidings of a word from Him, whose name will be the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary - distinguished in this world and the Hereafter and among those brought near

4:157 And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah ." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.