• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does hypnosis have any scientific foundation?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Nope. Sorry Charlie. I'll repost the link since I edited the former post.

The Truth About Hypnosis

It's just a psychological form of suggestion. It's essentially quakery.
Did you read the link? I told you it has uses its just not like what movies would suggest. The link actually backs my claim that it has uses. It's only a scam if you claim to control people. It has valid therapeutic uses and works in a different way then people think but it does work and is real. See here:
. The truth is that stage hypnotism is essentially a theatrical performance and has about as much in common with bona fide clinical hypnosis as many Hollywood movies have with real life. The fact is, however, that hypnosis is a genuine psychological phenomenon that has valid uses in clinical practice. Simply put, hypnosis is a state of highly focused attention or concentration, often associated with relaxation, and heightened suggestibility. While under hypnosis (i.e., in a hypnotic trance), it seems many people are much more open to helpful suggestions than they usually are.
Contrary to popular belief, people under hypnosis are in total control of themselves and would never do anything they would normally find highly objectionable

This backs my claims. It is real. It's just not what people think it is

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Did you read the link? I told you it has uses its just not like what movies would suggest. The link actually backs my claim that it has uses. It's only a scam if you claim to control people. It has valid therapeutic uses and works in a different way then people think but it does work and is real. See here:

This backs my claims. It is real. It's just not what people think it is
OK if you think so.

Twilight Hue

Look your own link says it has valid clinical uses. If you didnt read it that's on you
I'll include the parts you conveniently left out.

, it’s a fact that not everyone is susceptible to hypnosis. Some people seem to possess a trait called “hypnotizability” that, like other traits, varies greatly among individuals. To be successfully hypnotized, a person must want to undergo the process voluntarily and also possess at least a moderate degree of hypnotizability.

Even highly hypnotizable people may not benefit from hypnotherapy, and a single session of hypnosis usually does not produce lasting results.

VoidCat

I'll include the parts you conveniently left out.

, it’s a fact that not everyone is susceptible to hypnosis. Some people seem to possess a trait called “hypnotizability” that, like other traits, varies greatly among individuals. To be successfully hypnotized, a person must want to undergo the process voluntarily and also possess at least a moderate degree of hypnotizability.

Even highly hypnotizable people may not benefit from hypnotherapy, and a single session of hypnosis usually does not produce lasting results.
And that doesnt disprove that it's a real phenomenon that has clinical uses. It just doesnt work for everybody

VoidCat

And that doesnt disprove that it's a real phenomenon that has clinical uses. It just doesnt work for everybody
@Twilight Hue
Therapy in general has a clinical use. Some people benefit from it some do not. And those that benefit from it often need more then one session. Does therapy in general not work as a result? Is it just a scam to you?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I believe the etymology is misleading.
Hypnosis comes from Greek and means "sleep", but what psychologists parapsychologists do is not to try to make the patient fall asleep.
They want to make them relax. To try to recall uncanny memories.

VoidCat

I believe the etymology is misleading.
Hypnosis comes from Greek and means "sleep", but what psychologists parapsychologists do is not to try to make the patient fall asleep.
They want to make them relax. To try to recall uncanny memories.
Um recalling memories using hypnosis is unreliable and a method that typically isn't use. Folk who do hypnosis tend to use it for other reasons

VoidCat

From Hypnosis today — Looking beyond the media portrayal.

Hypnosis has been used in the treatment of pain; depression; anxiety and phobias; stress; habit disorders; gastro-intestinal disorders; skin conditions; post-surgical recovery; relief from nausea and vomiting; childbirth; treatment of hemophilia and many other conditions. However, it may not be useful for all psychological and/or medical problems or for all patients or clients. The decision to use hypnosis as an adjunct to treatment should only be made in consultation with a qualified health care provider who has been trained in the use and limitations of clinical hypnosis. In addition to its use in clinical settings, hypnosis is used in research and forensic settings. Researchers study the value of hypnosis in the treatment of physical and psychological problems and examine the impact of hypnosis on sensation, perception, learning and memory.

That's a good link to read if you want to learn more about hypnosis it's from the APA

VoidCat

@Estro Felino
There's a wide level of literature on hypnosis and the medical field. It's very useful. But it does have it's pitfalls. Again that link I sent from the APA is useful in learning more but I can find info elsewhere if you want to know more. Including on why memory recovery is not great with hypnosis and likely to plant false memories

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I am asking because I have always wondered how scientific hypnosis is.
I have heard so many stories about people capable of hypnotizing other people through certain tricks, or simply through their own eyes.

Honestly I have always been quite skeptical about such stories.
I would like some feedback.
Thank you in advance.

Recently scientific research has indicated that hypnosis can have an effect on some parts of the brain associated with pain, depression and anxiety. There is much more work to do, it seems to work but cannot be explained scientifically yet

Twilight Hue

@Twilight Hue
Therapy in general has a clinical use. Some people benefit from it some do not. And those that benefit from it often need more then one session. Does therapy in general not work as a result? Is it just a scam to you?
I think a lot of therapies are essentially scams these days.

But if people think it works, swear by it, I have to admit placebos are beneficial in the same regard as a number of alternative medicines.

That's how I see it.

VoidCat

I think a lot of therapies are essentially scams these days.

But if people think it works, swear by it, I have to admit placebos are beneficial in the same regard as a number of alternative medicines.

That's how I see it.
I go to many mental health professionals. It's saved my life. I do not wish to farther debate with you.