• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Hinduism denote Vedic Religion or Religion of Veda/s?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Does Hinduism denote Vedic Religion or Religion of Vedas?

Hinduism is not a religion; it is a conglomerate of religions under the general/blanket term of "Hinduism".
Right? Please

Regards
Why is a conglomerate of religions not a religion?

Christianity might be described as such, and is accepted as such.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No one gets to dictate to another Hindu which category they fall into within Hinduism. And that's between adherents of Hinduism, never mind anyone else.
Somehow I did get the sense that you Hindus were not going to wait for my validation of your self-attributed classifications.

Could it be that I have no authority over your beliefs?

Nah... what are the odds?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why is a conglomerate of religions not a religion?

Christianity might be described as such, and is accepted as such.
Except when it isn't. Opinions are all over the place.

There are those who don't think of Trinitarians (and LDS and SDA) as Christians. There are those who want to claim that Kardecist Spiritism is a form of Christianity. And there are those who do not perceive meaningful distinctions between Christianity and, for instance, Islaam (in Sierra Leone, I just learned) or the Bahai Faith.

Then again, Hinduism does not expect of itself anywhere near the same degree of internal agreement that Christianity or Islaam usually do.

Hindu practices and particularly theological views are considerably more varied than Christianity's. But Christianity and Islaam usually choose to make their own internal disagreements a problem, while Hinduism often does not.

On the other hand, it is IMO a bit of an intentional delusion to say that any two people share a religion. If we understand religion to be composed of people's understandings, goals, values and hopes, then it is almost mathematically impossible for two people to share a religion. To enjoy various degrees of mutual understanding and cooperation, sure. But not to have "the same" religious background or religious structure.

Again, that is not a problem, except when a doctrine decrees that it is.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Somehow I did get the sense that you Hindus were not going to wait for my validation of your self-attributed classifications.

Could it be that I have no authority over your beliefs?

Nah... what are the odds?

It is startling indeed to learn that you have no sway over our own beliefs. Glad we could straighten that out for ya :p:D

No, but seriously, you seem pretty well versed in Hindu......things

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is startling indeed to learn that you have no sway over our own beliefs. Glad we could straighten that out for ya :p:D

I guess I had to learn that some day or another.

Well, there are still some five billion people or so waiting for my validation... or maybe not? :)

No, but seriously, you seem pretty well versed in Hindu......things

Thanks. I would not agree, but I do value what little (but very worthwhile) understanding of Hinduism I have attained. It is not much, but it is significant.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Why is a conglomerate of religions not a religion? Christianity might be described as such, and is accepted as such.
Well, Islam too is that. Paarsurrey's own Islam is not accepted as Islam in Pakistan. He is an Ahmadiyya.
Somehow I did get the sense that you Hindus were not going to wait for my validation of your self-attributed classifications. Could it be that I have no authority over your beliefs? Nah .. what are the odds?
No chance that you get any authority. Compromises are not ruled out. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Hinduism is not a religion; it is a conglomerate of religions under the general/blanket term of "Hinduism".
Right? Please

Regards

The only reason Hinduism is a religion is so we can have the rights other religions have. We've had to allow others to define us in order to gain rights. The very term 'religion' is outside the Hinduism paradigm.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Right, the in terms is 'dharma' as in all Indian religions (fulfilling our social responsibilities which includes engaging in righteous action which means trying to help others and doing what does not harm any other living being).
"Paropakāram punyāya, pāpaya parapīdanam"
(Helping others is merit, causing pain to others is sin - simple philosophy)

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
A name has the meaning that people give it.

Hinduism is indeed a blanket term. While it does include the Vedic religions, it includes others as well.

There are people who want to subsum Buddhism and Jainism int Hinduism, but the doctrines are significantly different.

While there are certainly diverging doctrines inside Hinduism, a certain amount of common language and just plain good will and dialog seems to allow it to remain reasonably coherent.

But even if it doesn't, that does not really mean very much. Religions are inherently very personal, at all. What is at stake is far more a matter of perception than of substance.

A proper name is never assigned by strangers/foreigners. A nick-name is assigned by others which is never an alternative of the proper name.
The Sub-Continent did have many religions, if if there is prima facie some similarity,even they must be identified as they believe it.

Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
A proper name is never assigned by strangers/foreigners.

Everyone is a stranger and a foreigner, Paarsurrey. Until and unless they learn to no longer be.

It is not like we sprout from the soil with a ready-made relatioship to the specific land.

A nick-name is assigned by others which is never an alternative of the proper name.
The Sub-Continent did have many religions, if if there is prima facie some similarity,even they must be identified as they believe it.

Regards
I agree that the people who actually care for the doctrine ought to be listened to.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
A proper name is never assigned by strangers/foreigners. A nick-name is assigned by others which is never an alternative of the proper name.

Regards
What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. if there is prima facie some similarity,even they must be identified as they believe it.
So, we have Vaishnava, Shaiva, Shakta, Smarta, and other kinds of Hindus. We do have our particular labels, just like Catholc, Protestant, Eastern Orthodox, Sunni, Shia, Sufi, Ahmadiyya, Ismaili, etc. I am sort of a Smarta Hindu, though I do not exactly fit there. Therefore, I am an atheist-advatist-Hindu. Where do you see a problem?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So, we have Vaishnava, Shaiva, Shakta, Smarta, and other kinds of Hindus. We do have our particular labels, just like Catholc, Protestant, Eastern Orthodox, Sunni, Shia, Sufi, Ahmadiyya, Ismaili, etc. I am sort of a Smarta Hindu, though I do not exactly fit there. Therefore, I am an atheist-advatist-Hindu. Where do you see a problem?
It is one's choice. Did I ever say that I have a problem with one and or anybody else on the forum? We discuss here things, its everybody's own choice to see truth in them. Please
Regards

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Name is for proper identification.
Regards
Name is what we call something. A crow was a crow long before it was given a name (several in fact. Depending on who gave it. Natives to the land, scientists, layman conquerers.)

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Name is what we call something. A crow was a crow long before it was given a name (several in fact. Depending on who gave it. Natives to the land, scientists, layman conquerers.)
Does one mean that the inhabitants of Bharat in the Vedic Times had no tradition of having names? They were nameless. Please give one's thoughts expressively, no compulsion however. Please
Regards

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Does one mean that the inhabitants of Bharat in the Vedic Times had no tradition of having names? They were nameless. Please give one's thoughts expressively, no compulsion however. Please
Regards

No, I'm saying they are the ones who get to name themselves. But that doesn't discount other names given to them at the same time.

A common chimp is called a Chimpanzee but over time the colloquial "chimp" was coined. It was called Simia troglodyte for a time and now is also called Pan troglodyte and sometimes the robust chimpanzee. Basically a name can change over time so don't worry too much about it.

Satyamavejayanti

"paarsurrey,"

Namaste,

Both and neither, Hinduism is referring to Astika Dharma Darshans (Generally in this day and age Astika means those who accept the Veda as a valid means to acquire knowledge, Nastika would mean those who do not use Veda as a means of knowledge), it is part of a Larger set of Dharma Traditions where Astika and Nastika Darshans are both included. The Word Hindu may not be our original "Name", but if one is around for thousands of years one can assume many names and forms.

It is the concept of Dharmah that binds Hindus together, as no right minded Hindu would call oneself a Adharmic Hindu.

I don't completely agree with this, Hinduism is not "A", religion obviously, but neither is it a conglomerate of "religions", it is a a Blanket/umbrella term for many Darshan, Sampraday, Matta, Samaj, Sanghas, who all agree to some basic concepts such as Dharmah, Karma, PunaJanma ect religion is just a part of these multiple systems, even then the classical definition of "religion", if applied to the Hindu Dharmah may not completely describe the Dharmah.

Hope this helps

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"paarsurrey,"
Namaste,
Both and neither, Hinduism is referring to Astika Dharma Darshans (Generally in this day and age Astika means those who accept the Veda as a valid means to acquire knowledge, Nastika would mean those who do not use Veda as a means of knowledge), it is part of a Larger set of Dharma Traditions where Astika and Nastika Darshans are both included. The Word Hindu may not be our original "Name", but if one is around for thousands of years one can assume many names and forms.

It is the concept of Dharmah that binds Hindus together, as no right minded Hindu would call oneself a Adharmic Hindu.

I don't completely agree with this, Hinduism is not "A", religion obviously, but neither is it a conglomerate of "religions", it is a a Blanket/umbrella term for many Darshan, Sampraday, Matta, Samaj, Sanghas, who all agree to some basic concepts such as Dharmah, Karma, PunaJanma ect religion is just a part of these multiple systems, even then the classical definition of "religion", if applied to the Hindu Dharmah may not completely describe the Dharmah.

Hope this helps

"It is the concept of Dharmah that binds Hindus together, as no right minded Hindu would call oneself a Adharmic Hindu."

I am OK with the above.
Regards