• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does hinduism beleave in SATAN?

ManSinha

You need to separate mythology from metaphysics - the Vedas especially IMO the hymn of creation Nasadiya Sukta - Mandala 10:129 is worth looking at for a start -

The Asuras and Rakhshasas are mythology

The Vedas and especially the Gita are excellent treatises IMO on the life one should lead to get out of the circle of karma and rebirth and merge into the divine light - which IMO is the ultimate goal - well at least in Sikhism it is (apologies to @SalixIncendium)

You may also benefit from reading and following the answers by a gentleman called Rami Sivan on Quora - he is a Mimamsaka priest (ordained) and a Vedanta teacher who IMO again has an excellent knowledge of the Abrahamic faiths in addition to an encyclopedic knowledge of the Hindu scriptures - I personally have found his answers to questions posed deeply pragmatic and based in the contemporary knowledge of things as they exist today

All the very best in your journey

From a fellow seeker

AL2020

Universale communication
Sirona

In my eyes, for most Christian denominations this isn‘t true. Genesis 8:21 says: “I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth.“ In Catholicism, it is believed that all humans inherited the so-called “original sin” from Adam & Eve who had disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden. New-borns are not considered pure but have to be baptized to clear out the “original sin” they inherited from their parents.
However, in case you’re a Muslim, I know that most of them don’t believe in the original sin.

I know basis of all religion
In islam , human been s new born is pure and dont have the originel sin of Adam.

There are probably some superstitious Hindus who believe in demonic possession but in general, in Hinduism, you’re responsible for your own actions. You can’t say “the devil made me do it”.

Yes in abrahmic religion ,the soul is the ego and is responsible of his acting . But the devil's and shaytane just make little touch and pressure to make the soul falling down to make sin. It s like when a group of teenager , two of them fight by the influence of the group that shout to them to incourage to fight , riding one to the other. Difference it s that the devil's are invisible .

For example, TV commercials create many desires in you to buy things, but you’re to overcome these desires because they’re not “the real you”. You are to analyse and control your thoughts for example by meditation, and not to run after the next best thing which is presented to you. However, I am not competent to tell you about meditation, so you should ask the others about it.

In abramic s religion , devil's are more numerous than insect and their armies s are more numerous thant the FBI and have very precise role. So the world is influence by this devil's armies (TV , modern program,etc)
And even famous oligarchs are known to workship Satan and make babies s sacrify to drink their blood to gain power.

It s like invisible s devil's circle that influence oligark that give order to mass group to make modern human being falling in this Kali yuga .

Like domino

AL2020

Universale communication
https://www.quora.com/Since-antigod...ns-is-it-okay-for-people-to-worship-anti-gods

One answer of rami Sivan in quora

Since antigods (beings that are the negative opposite to God) aren't demons, is it okay for people to worship anti-gods?
I don’t know about the mythology of other religions but in the Hindu world-view the Suras (gods) and Asuras (antigods) are neither good nor evil - since these are contingent value judgements.

The Gods (Suras/devas) are personifications of the forces of ORDER and

The Antigods (Asuras) are personifications of the forces of CHAOS.

The purpose of worship or meditation on a deity is to identify with or to absorb the qualities of that deity. “you become what you worship” - when you worship an angry God you become angry, when you worship a chaotic Antigod you become more chaotic. If you worship a peaceful God you become peaceful.

So if you want to increase the Chaos in your life then go ahead and get into a spiritual relationship with the Asuras.

But if you want to increase the order and harmony in your life through the Asuras then pick Prahlād as your idol.

ManSinha

So he seems to identity asuras as External spititual principal?

He uses a lot of symbolism and analogy in his replies - with a difference between mythology and metaphysics as I alluded to earlier - the reference to the Asuras is the reference to the so called lower self with desires and arrogance and as one veers to Dharma - it is more of service and regard for one's fellow creatures along with worship if you desire - else you can be a Nastik - and be a part of the Samkhya philosophy which IMO completely side steps the presence of any gods. BUT you have indicated that you are a Krishna devotee - that is IMO as good as any a place to be in - as you may know - Krishna is the only religious figure that showed his devotees that he embodies the very universe itself in himself.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes aupmanyav he s a french Krishna dévot
I understand that, AL2020. See what Srimad BhagawadGita says:

Chapter Sixteen: The Divine and Demoniac Natures
TEXTS 1-3:
The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: Fearlessness; purification of one’s existence; cultivation of spiritual knowledge; charity; self-control; performance of sacrifice; study of the Vedas; austerity; simplicity; nonviolence; truthfulness; freedom from anger; renunciation; tranquillity; aversion to faultfinding; compassion for all living entities; freedom from covetousness; gentleness; modesty; steady determination; vigor; forgiveness; fortitude; cleanliness; and freedom from envy and from the passion for honor – these transcendental qualities, O son of Bharata, belong to godly men endowed with divine nature.
TEXT 4:
Pride, arrogance, conceit, anger, harshness and ignorance – these qualities belong to those of demoniac nature, O son of Pṛthā*.

So, the qualities of a person make him 'divine' or 'demonaic'. It is not that a demoniac person will have horns on the head.
* Pṛthā: Another name for Arjuna's mother, Kunti. It will be spoken as Pritha in North India and Prutha in South India. That is how 'ṛ' is spoken. Regional differences.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I was talking about your friend who told you about "papapourusha". Bengalis like to add an 'o' sound in all things. So, the pronunciation that you mentioned suggested me that. But I might be wrong in my guess. :)

ajay0

There is no Satan in Hinduism, but there is Maya.

Maya's role, as I explained earlier, lies in bringing about forgetfulness of the Self. The Self, our Being, is awareness or pure consciousness.

Saguna Brahman's role lies in bringing remembrance of Self.

I have explained this in this post of mine....

Advaita questions

AL2020

Universale communication
You wrote

Maya is illusion or identification with sensory objects to the point that one forgets one's identity as the Self or pure consciousness, resulting in suffering.

Maya makes you forget the Self or Self-knowledge through raag-dvesh, psychological cravings for pleasurable sensory objects and aversion for unpleasant ones.

All vices and crimes of passion like rape, murder, robbery,
physical assault and so on can be traced back to raag-dvesh or cravings and aversions.

Saguna Brahman is Brahman with attributes, as opposed to Nirguna Brahman without attributes, and its purpose lies in enabling people under the influence of Maya to stop identification with sensory objects brought about by cravings/aversions and identify with the Self instead. This identification with the Self destroys karma and brings about enlightenment and liberation.

shivsomashekhar

Asura (Persian Ahura) vs. Deva comes from the ancient Indo Aryan split that may have occurred in Eastern Iran a long time ago. The Devas are bad in Persia (ancient Iran) and we see the opposite in India.

In older scripture like Rig Veda, Asura has other meanings like prince and is applied to Indra and Varuna. But in later scripture, Asuras are always portrayed negatively.

One of Xerxes’s (Persian emperor, 5th Century BCE) accomplishments was to subdue the Deva worshippers. So, the negative portrayal may just be based on historical enmity between two feuding tribes.

shivsomashekhar

Hi

the vidéo shared by a friend of this forum say hinduism doesn't beleave in SATAN .

What do you think about ?

No central figure such as Satan. However, the concept exists. Hindus do believe in evil spirits, evil eye (cast by envious people) and black magic. A number of superstitious beliefs exist around these concepts - particularly among rural Hindus, but certainly not limited to them.

Western Hindus are unlikely to be aware of the above, unless they have traveled to the country and associated with locals.