• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does hinduism beleave in SATAN?

AL2020

Universale communication

Hi

the vidéo shared by a friend of this forum say hinduism doesn't beleave in SATAN .

What do you think about ?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
In Hinduism, evil (as well as good) is not caused by a "Satan", but by karma. There are demons (asuras), like Rahu, Hiranyakashipu, Ravana, but their stories go usually like this: they want some boon from a god, they get it, become arrogant and power-thirsty, their victims call for the Supreme God (Vishnu for the followers of Vishnuism), Vishnu appears, defeats the asura with violence or by ruse, Vishnu is praised by the asura's victims and the other gods, the world is saved.

AL2020

Universale communication
I dont understand it s opposite

Sirona say there are devils and démon (asuras) and even some fights with them.

Viyaka and salix ,asura is not devils or démon?

Satan in abrahmic is just the chief of devils.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe

My friend, I said there is no devil in Hinduism. In Hinduism, evil is caused by karma.

You have to keep in mind, that in Hinduism, there is reincarnation. You can be born as a servant of God in one life and be an asura in the next life.

By giving the example of the stories about Vishnu, I tried to explain that the asuras are not a real threat for Vishnu. In the end, Vishnu always wins, and when he kills the asuras they may go to "Vishnu's heaven" Vaikuntha, or may be reborn as something else. The asuras are not forced to be asuras during their entire existence.

AL2020

Universale communication
1. I dont understand if vishnu fight asura what is the différence with abrahmic prophet fighting devils ?

2. So what is in Hinduism the bad instinct in human being ,that make people want to kill , steal, make people against people

Or devil's people that ploting like demon?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Perhaps this will aid you in your understanding of exactly what asuras are. Not all are considered to be malevolent.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I dont understand if vishnu fight asura what is the différence with abrahmic prophet fighting devils ?
In Abrahamic religions, there is just one life. During this life, you‘re supposed to decide whether you want to be with God or the devil. In Hinduism, there is reincarnation, one life after the other. In every new life you can be born as something else (plant, animal, human, god, asura). There is a story in which two of Vishnu‘s "bodyguards" were born as asuras because they had been disrespectful to some saints. They were born as asuras, Vishnu killed them, and they took back their original positions as guards in "Vishnu‘s heaven", Vaikuntha.

2. So what is in Hinduism the bad instinct in human being ,that make people want to kill , steal, make people against people.
Hinduism basically sees humans as good, or at least having the potential to be good. There‘s NO Adam & Eve story in Hinduism. God doesn‘t hate his creation. There‘s no need to fear God.

Or devil's people that ploting like demon?
Please re-write this. I couldn‘t understand you.

You seem to have some problems with English ... I saw the accents ... are you French?

Last edited:

AL2020

Universale communication
Sirona

The probleme is not reincarnation or not or Adam or not. Or falling from heaven...Etc.

The subject is on earth are there creature that are invisible
and make human being making crime and other sins by whispering on his soul ?

Human being are good even in abramic religion but they have to make an internal war to fight the satan and his devil's army

There isn't this fight in Hinduism?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
2. So what is in Hinduism the bad instinct in human being ,that make people want to kill , steal, make people against people.
One reason is that it is our own ignorance (ajnana, avidya, the antonym of of knowledge and education) - When people falter in doing the right thing and engage in something evil, due to anger, greed, desires, attachment, pride, etc., then they become 'asuras' and 'rakshasas' (evil people) or may be born as 'asuras' and 'rakshasas' in their next life. Some people may be born as 'asuras'. but they may not have lost all their goodness. In such cases, we may have 'asuras' who are devoted to Gods. MahaBali, Prahlad, Ravana, Kumbhakarna, Vibhishan etc. are considered 'asuras' and 'rakshasas' of this kind. Though MahaBali is considered one of the greatest 'asura', his soul merged in Lord Vishnu, and he will be the Indra (Chief of Lesser Gods, that is a rotating position) in the next eon. Each of these people have their interesting stories. I suppose the Wikipedia article on 'Asuras' and 'Rakshasas' mentions that they were born of the same father and were brothers to Gods.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The subject is on earth are there creature that are invisible and make human being making crime and other sins by whispering on his soul ?
Like the serpent in Bible, putting people on the wrong path. Hinduism does not believe in such creatures. Of course, in mythology, there are always beings who can turn invisible. And also that, those who are bad, would not do anything else but pass on their badness to other people. That is why keeping company of good people is considered very important in Hinduism. Yeah, the fight between good and evil exists in all religions. That is why Hindus celebrate the festival of lights, Diwali/Deepawali, the victory of good over evil. This is the biggest festival for Hindus.

people celebrating Diwali - Google Search
freepressjournal%2F2019-10%2Fc3e6a179-f73f-4225-b511-a668c2fa2911%2FIMG_2887.JPG

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sirona

The probleme is not reincarnation or not or Adam or not. Or falling from heaven...Etc.

Human being are good even in abramic religion but they have to make an internal war to fight the satan and his devil's army

There isn't this fight in Hinduism?

This isn't Hinduism. Just where are you getting your information from?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
@AL2020

I will try to answer your questions. It‘s a bit difficult to answer them, not knowing what your religious background is, so I will try to answer from my background of an ex-Catholic.

Human being are good even in abramic religion

In my eyes, for most Christian denominations this isn‘t true. Genesis 8:21 says: “I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth.“ In Catholicism, it is believed that all humans inherited the so-called “original sin” from Adam & Eve who had disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden. New-borns are not considered pure but have to be baptized to clear out the “original sin” they inherited from their parents.
However, in case you’re a Muslim, I know that most of them don’t believe in the original sin.

but they have to make an internal war to fight the satan and his devil's army

There are probably some superstitious Hindus who believe in demonic possession but in general, in Hinduism, you’re responsible for your own actions. You can’t say “the devil made me do it”.

In Hinduism, the focus is not so much on evil spirits, but on overcoming illusion (maya). For example, TV commercials create many desires in you to buy things, but you’re to overcome these desires because they’re not “the real you”. You are to analyse and control your thoughts for example by meditation, and not to run after the next best thing which is presented to you. However, I am not competent to tell you about meditation, so you should ask the others about it.

In the stories I know, it is rather about good people who somehow commit a sin against somebody and therefore are cursed by their victims. Because of the curse, they often “must” do bad things in the future. Anyways, these are just stories. You’re still responsible for yourself.

AL2020

Universale communication
OK so no external creature that influence human beeing in Hinduism.

One Hindu friend talked to me about
Papapourousha ?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Even the Gods are not disrespectful of the good qualities of 'asura'. Ravana was the king of 'Rakshasas', but he was a supreme scholar of Vedas and Hindu philosophy. There is a story which says that when Ravana was dying Lord Rama requested him with folded hands to teach statecraft to his younger brother, Lakshanana, which Ravana obligingly did. If you would continue your interest in Hinduism, you will come across many such stories.

Lord Rama (the dark-skinned) requesting Ravana to teach statecraft to his younger brother, Lakshmana (the fair one).
eNHKHMwAKQNNLayGsPZlLpQwPDdL2sq5pzn4hgeEvjySf_yRpUAdPME2sevcSDXnPIBZNkZNtKQalIHxAFa04ndma2H5yKZJfDpNEg

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
One Hindu friend talked to me about Papapourousha ?
I would not blame you for being confused. Hinduism has so much different philosophies that it is easy for a newcomer to get confused. Papapurusha or Papapourusha simply means a person who engages in evil deeds. BTW, is that person a Bengali? Your spelling may be pointing to that.