• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Heaven Make Sense?

FranklinMichaelV.3

There's a lot of question about whether or not Hell exists.

The next question is...does Heaven exist?

While it certainly seems like the better end then hell...

But when we talk of Free Will doesn't heaven to a degree negate that?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Not really. In Heaven, we choose to be in God's love and presence forever. It's like deciding to marry the perfect spouse. You make a one-time decision after much consideration and contemplation with your wife/husband, and you both agree to abide in each other's love for eternity. After all, why wouldn't you want to spend eternity with this wonderful person, sharing in each other's love?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Not really. In Heaven, we choose to be in God's love and presence forever. It's like deciding to marry the perfect spouse. You make a one-time decision after much consideration and contemplation with your wife/husband, and you both agree to abide in each other's love for eternity. After all, why wouldn't you want to spend eternity with this wonderful person, sharing in each other's love?
^ This. :)

FranklinMichaelV.3

So it's a one time choice? After that you cannot make another one? Doesn't that still negate free will?

What about Morals? Do those not exist in heaven?

Free will dictates that we have the right to choose, we make a choice, but our choices are not limited to one point. Our choices are continuous. In heaven you can't do anything else, or is it that we still have those thoughts but Gods presence is just stronger? In which case what does that say about Omnipresence?

Shiranui117

Premium Member
So it's a one time choice? After that you cannot make another one? Doesn't that still negate free will?
A better question, why would you want to make another one? The only reason you would divorce your wife is if your marriage with her was unsatisfying, or if you ceased to love one another. Assuming that never happened, you would have no reason whatsoever to divorce her. Just the same, our relationship with God would never turn sour in Heaven, not with the fire of His love burning within our hearts, and not with His Divine Light shining all around us, as we behold the face and presence of our Creator, Sustainer, Helper, Refuge, Comfort and Saviour.

What about Morals? Do those not exist in heaven?
They most certainly do.

Free will dictates that we have the right to choose, we make a choice, but our choices are not limited to one point. Our choices are continuous. In heaven you can't do anything else, or is it that we still have those thoughts but Gods presence is just stronger? In which case what does that say about Omnipresence?
Our choices are indeed continuous. Once in Heaven, we would willingly and without coercion choose to love God and to grow ever further into His Likeness through theosis, just as in a marriage, we choose every day to remain faithful to our spouse and to love them and grow deeper in that love.

FranklinMichaelV.3

A better question, why would you want to make another one? The only reason you would divorce your wife is if your marriage with her was unsatisfying, or if you ceased to love one another. Assuming that never happened, you would have no reason whatsoever to divorce her. Just the same, our relationship with God would never turn sour in Heaven, not with the fire of His love burning within our hearts, and not with His Divine Light shining all around us, as we behold the face and presence of our Creator, Sustainer, Helper, Refuge, Comfort and Saviour.

They most certainly do.

Our choices are indeed continuous. Once in Heaven, we would willingly and without coercion choose to love God and to grow ever further into His Likeness through theosis, just as in a marriage, we choose every day to remain faithful to our spouse and to love them and grow deeper in that love.

So even in Heaven we could choose not to.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Most things about most religions don't make logical sense. They don't need to, as reason and logic aren't what compels people to hold religious beliefs in the first place.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

I don't believe in the Christian heaven anymore than I believe in the Christian hell.

rusra02

Premium Member

Heaven is where God dwells.(1Kings 8:43) I believe the Bible teaches only a very limited number of humans receive life in heaven, and those who do have very specific reasons for that privilege. (Revelation 5:9,10) The vast majority of obedient mankind will live forever on earth. (Revelation 21:3,4) Thus, heaven is not our home. (Psalm 115:16)

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Heaven is where God dwells.(1Kings 8:43) I believe the Bible teaches only a very limited number of humans receive life in heaven, and those who do have very specific reasons for that privilege. (Revelation 5:9,10) The vast majority of obedient mankind will live forever on earth. (Revelation 21:3,4) Thus, heaven is not our home. (Psalm 115:16)
"Heaven" in the eschatological sense (as opposed to the cosmological sense) is actually a state, not a place.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Most things about most religions don't make logical sense. They don't need to, as reason and logic aren't what compels people to hold religious beliefs in the first place.

Says the man who never felt the love of god. He is all loving and the provider for the universe and he judges you for everything you do.

ArtieE

Because I would be thinking of all the billions of people including possibly family, friends and workmates burning in Hell forever. How could I live happily knowing that? I have empathy.

Sea Monkey

Pickle Juicer!

This mostly. I do believe though that whatever a person believes is real and it matter's and it work's as long as it does not harm another.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Because I would be thinking of all the billions of people including possibly family, friends and workmates burning in Hell forever. How could I live happily knowing that? I have empathy.
They chose to be in Hell. Hell is likewise not a place, but a state of rejecting God's all-pervading Love and Presence. Their hatred of God is what makes His Love and Presence burning and torturous.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Is this a joke Sterling Archer? I thought you were a deist?

Considering your avatar of choice is Squidward I thought you would have known sarcasm when you see it :sarcastic. I am shamed of you.

I do not believe in love of god but reverence and fear in case you wish to know