• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God use a channel ?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Hi,
It's true that Jehovah used humans to reveal and to lead his people in the past.
But isn't it also true that Jesus now is our only leader and teacher ?

Matthew describes a type or class of people that would "feed" not "lead" since Christians would have only one leader Christ.
Any assumed leadership was to be exclusively by example not by making of policies and rules.

Thus this food would not be something of their own making and invention but would be something that Christ had already prepared.
Hebrews 13:17

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I appriciate that you are careful not to commit blasphemy, but is being concerned about things that He reveals to us in his word not something God would want us to do ?
Yes, being concerned about these things is very good, and it's even better to actually follow God, IMHO, than just being concerned

BUT

NOT commit blasphemy is also nr. 1 on God's "to do list" for us

So, I decided to follow both (2 birds with 1 stone principle). But you or others are free to follow 1 of course (1 is better than 0).

Blasphemy is so easy to avoid, I discovered...just follow God's Great Commandments (have priorities straight). Hence for me there is no problem to do both simultaneously

I don't get it, that so many violate Blasphemy and even try to argue that it's okay saying:
"it's okay because the Bible says..."
or
"I believe God wants me to do this"

BUT

All are free to choose, so I don't judge them, that's their relationship with God. None of my business.
(I don't get in between God and the other)

AND

God is very well capable of leading all His children in the way He chooses. All people are unique, and God knows best how to deal with each individual. I need all my energy to follow God on the Path He gave me, no time to worry about the Path of others

ALSO

Sometimes someone who is totally against God, can become a Saint over night, while others, who think they follow God, might take decades or never get there at all.

Knowing this fact, how could I judge others who follow a different path than the path that I follow?

I stick to the simple rules God gave. These rules come first, and all other rules other people "think" we should follow, I ONLY apply IF, AND ONLY IF, they do NOT violate the Great Commandments.

One can only follow God, IMHO, IF one has their priorities right. They were named Great Commandments for a reason

Colt

Hi,

Some religion claim that God uses their leaders as a channel by which information is passed on from Him to these men/women (for instance JW's).

My question is, is that a scriptural teaching ?
I am aware that in the past God (Jehovah) used prophets to instruct people of his will and convey his thoughts, but does he still do that today, or on the other hand is (for Christians) Jesus Christ our only teacher ?

Your comments are appriciated.
Yes but that channel isn’t a part of basic cable. It requires an upgrade $29.95 a month.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I disagree. Christ commissioned his apostles specifically. It was they and their successors who spoke on God’s behalf.
I don't disagree with what you said at all. As I said, the Holy Spirit is in all people. Each person has a specific purpose and the Apostles were the foundation for what we believe. But as Corinthians says, everyone can prophecy.and move in the gifts of the Spirit.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I'm not sure why I should believe that.
Is Christ less powerful in heaven than on earth and somehow not capable of managing his affair from that position ?

Certainly God used men and women in the past to convey his message and direct his people through prophets and leaders such as Moses, Joshua, David etc...
However if that were the case today should we not be able to point to specific texts explaining this hearthly leadership structure ?
Don't the scriptures point exclusively to one leader, Christ ?

I thought He did:

Ephesians 4:10-12
English Standard Version

10 He who descended is the one who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.)11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,

I know there are still evangelists, pastors and teachers and have no reason to believe that there aren't apostles (though not in the sense of the original apostles) and prophets.

Clara Tea

Hi,

Some religion claim that God uses their leaders as a channel by which information is passed on from Him to these men/women (for instance JW's).

I am aware that in the past God (Jehovah) used prophets to instruct people of his will and convey his thoughts, but does he still do that today, or on the other hand is (for Christians) Jesus Christ our only teacher ?

God channels information to psychics in emergencies.

For example, Revelation was designed to give us hundreds of years of preparation for Satanic demons. Even when the time came (when war was declared in Iraq), people ignored God's warnings not to attack Iraq, so God channeled info to His prophets to affirm that Revelation was correct.

You can predict when these emergencies occur.

The sun is as hot as hell. That is because it is hell. But there are times, when gravitational stresses are strongest, when the forces that bind the sun are weakest, and the strongest demons of hell are able to escape.

The ancient Egyptians realized this. This is why, in their Coptic calendar, the last time that all 9 planets aligned (exerting the greatest force on the sun) was in the year 666 by the Coptic calendar. As I recall, in our calendar, that was the year 1748.

Recently, 8 of the 9 planets aligned, during the administration of W. Bush. This is how he was able to get the beast inside of him (the beast was predicted by Revelation to attack Iraq, in defiance of God's order not to).

Jesus has not been our only teacher. The old testament taught us (as did old testament figures, like Moses). Remember the ten commandments? Those are from the old testament.

We can learn from civilizations around the world. For example, the Mayan calendar (written on the outside of a pyramid) said that the world would end very soon, when a dragon destroys it. The Mayan calendar is identical to the previous civilization of the area (Olmec).

Some fear that they might get a false prophet. For example, Jeb Bush said that he talked with God and was assured that during his term as governor of Florida, no hurricane would hit. When a hurricane did hit, Jeb Bush said that it was God's way of destroying the trailer trash. False prophets and false leaders could mislead us and corrupt us. For example following President W. Bush to war with Iraq was wrong. God said "thou shalt not kill," and that meant that wars are wrong.

Neuropteron

God channels information to psychics in emergencies.

Jesus has not been our only teacher. The old testament taught us (as did old testament figures, like Moses). Remember the ten commandments? Those are from the old testament.

Hi,

Yes it's true, Psychics do make that claim, but how do I know it's true. Although Psychics are right at times, they also are often wrong.

We might want to keep in mind that Jehovah didn't use psychics to convey his word to us but prophets. The identifying mark of a true prophet is, that what he foretells alway comes to be.

Certainly in the past God used a number of his servants to teach his people, but Christ claims that he is "now" the only path leading to God.

I think this is worth investigating.

Neuropteron

Yes, being concerned about these things is very good, and it's even better to actually follow God, IMHO, than just being concerned

BUT

NOT commit blasphemy is also nr. 1 on God's "to do list" for us

So, I decided to follow both (2 birds with 1 stone principle). But you or others are free to follow 1 of course (1 is better than 0).

Blasphemy is so easy to avoid, I discovered...just follow God's Great Commandments (have priorities straight). Hence for me there is no problem to do both simultaneously

I don't get it, that so many violate Blasphemy and even try to argue that it's okay saying:
"it's okay because the Bible says..."
or
"I believe God wants me to do this"

BUT

All are free to choose, so I don't judge them, that's their relationship with God. None of my business.
(I don't get in between God and the other)

AND

God is very well capable of leading all His children in the way He chooses. All people are unique, and God knows best how to deal with each individual. I need all my energy to follow God on the Path He gave me, no time to worry about the Path of others

ALSO

Sometimes someone who is totally against God, can become a Saint over night, while others, who think they follow God, might take decades or never get there at all.

Knowing this fact, how could I judge others who follow a different path than the path that I follow?

I stick to the simple rules God gave. These rules come first, and all other rules other people "think" we should follow, I ONLY apply IF, AND ONLY IF, they do NOT violate the Great Commandments.

One can only follow God, IMHO, IF one has their priorities right. They were named Great Commandments for a reason

Hi,
Thank you for your thoughts, much appreciated.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I don't disagree with what you said at all. As I said, the Holy Spirit is in all people. Each person has a specific purpose and the Apostles were the foundation for what we believe. But as Corinthians says, everyone can prophecy.and move in the gifts of the Spirit.
Only if one is called to that specific ministry. And the call is discerned, in part, by the church — not solely the individual.

stvdv

God will never tell people what to do or what to choose either directly or through another person.
I would say "never say never" esp. when talking about "what God would (not) do" esp. at any given time, as you made a very general claim about God

I rather refrain from making any claim about God period.

stvdv

I would question anyone who tells you God is telling you what to do.
I would say "Sounds Great, and I am ready to listen and am eagerly waiting for God's advice"

I do question people who claim:
"I know what God would (not) do"
I rather leave that kind of stuff to God
God alone knows best about God, IMHO

Or do you really think @Bird123 knows best too what God would do?

stvdv

In reality, they do not speak for God. They speak for themselves.
Maybe true, maybe not. I rather leave to God what God could, would or should do

I do believe that God can do anything

Hence I rather think it"s wiser to refrain myself from "pinning God down" by claiming to know things about God, like you claimed

I do believe that God will not let Himself be restricted by claims made by @Bird123

stvdv

Hi,

Does God use a channel ?

My Master told us "God can speak directly to you, don't trust others (mediums) who tell you that God told them to tell you this or that"

I like that. The best, for me, is to have God tell me what I need to know for myself

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Hi,

G-d can be televised on every channel on the dial, but it does no good if everyone has turned off their TV.

Bree

[QUOTE="Bree, post: 7525023, member: 70021

However, with Jesus being in heaven, it means there must be someone physical on earth in order for his direction to come thru.

I'm not sure why I should believe that.
Is Christ less powerful in heaven than on earth and somehow not capable of managing his affair from that position ?

Certainly God used men and women in the past to convey his message and direct his people through prophets and leaders such as Moses, Joshua, David etc...
However if that were the case today should we not be able to point to specific texts explaining this hearthly leadership structure ?
Don't the scriptures point exclusively to one leader, Christ ?[/QUOTE]

the christian congregation is his channel. But sadly the waters have been muddied and there are now literally thousands of christian denominations. So which one is Christ using? How would you determine which one?

I personally have just a few questions i ask about a particular denomination and if they tick a box, i know i can discount them as being the Channel.

Bree

Hi,

Why "must" there be someone (on earth) for his direction to come through.
Is Jesus not more powerful now being in heaven?
We already have all the direction we need in the Bible (2Tim 3), We don't need policies and rules from imperfect men, the only thing we need is to be made aware of Jesus's teachings from the scriptures.
In that way "the task" of working out who to follow is resolved.

By doing God's revealed will, we receive the blessing and the strenght to endure in faith.

Nowhere in the scriptures can I find any need to be gover'ned by men instead of exclusively following Christ.

Well the Israelites were organised for worship. And the christian congregation had a method for worship too...they also had rules to follow and they had standards to uphold.

For that reason, a christian needs some guidance and those who were set to take the lead by Jesus were instructed at Matthew 28:19 "go and make disciples...teaching them to observe all the things i have commanded you" so the channel should be organsied and solely purposed for the role Jesus appointed them to. And Jesus concluded by saying "and look, I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things"

This means that there is a channel who is being used by Jesus to instruct mankind on how to serve God and how to meet those standards and how to worship.... and that chennel will continue until the 'conclusion of the system'

Also as further evidence, Jesus prophecy about the 'last days' says at Matthew 24:14 'this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited world and then the end will come"
So in our time, there will be a group preaching the '
good news' in all the world before the end comes. this means they must be organised and well supported if they are going to be preaching in all the world. This scriptural evidence points to a channel who is very busy in this work.