• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God truly hear our prayers?

When I pray these days, I feel like I'm speaking to thin air and I wonder what the use of it all is. If God is there, why would he care about what's going on in my life? I'm insignificant when it comes to everything that's going on in the world. If I prayed or not, I feel like it wouldn't matter because no one is listening anyways. So what's the point?

I don't know guys, this just seems silly and pointless to me. Any thoughts on the matter? Or do you have a story of when you've ever had any prayers answered?

Sincerely,
Struggling

InChrist

Free4ever
I believe God cares and hears prayers. Even when It may not seem so according to my feelings I remember to walk by faith, not by sight. I guess I have had enough experience with God's faithfulness that I know He is always listening and no detail is too insignificant.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
When I pray these days, I feel like I'm speaking to thin air and I wonder what the use of it all is. If God is there, why would he care about what's going on in my life? I'm insignificant when it comes to everything that's going on in the world. If I prayed or not, I feel like it wouldn't matter because no one is listening anyways. So what's the point?

I don't know guys, this just seems silly and pointless to me. Any thoughts on the matter? Or do you have a story of when you've ever had any prayers answered?

Sincerely,
Struggling

I recommend meditation for relaxation.

Aside from that I have three different ideas for you to ponder if you feel inclined to do so;

1) If you prayer for something to happen and it does sometime in the future, does that mean that your prayer caused it to happen or that it happened after you prayed for it?

2) If a deity exists that is all knowing, all powerful, and all good, then why would you pray? It would know the perfect plan for all of existence so why would it change that plan for something that you suggested?

3) If no deities exist, then would you expect to see any different results? Would not some prayers seem to be answered while many do not?

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you did and I am always here if you want any support.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
God hears prayers we don't even say if we have the right approach to him. Paul wrote in Romans 8:26....

"...for the problem is that we do not know what we should pray for as we need to, but the spirit itself pleads for us with unuttered groanings."

If we search for God with the right spirit or attitude, we can approach him very intimately. But when we pray, we should address God by the name he revealed in the scriptures. (YHWH Yahweh or Jehovah) The OT writers used God's name freely and with great reverence. God's name was use 780 times just in the Psalms alone.

Ask Jehovah to guide you to his truth....he will do so but please remember that the truth is like buried treasure...it requires effort to dig for it. God is not far away from any of us. (Acts 17:24-27)

Ask questions and evaluate the answers. There is only one truth, not many versions of it. Just as Jesus said, his true disciples would be hated by the world, not admired by it. (John 15:18-21) Get to know the one who sent Jesus...it means your life. (John 17:3)

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
God hears prayers we don't even say if we have the right approach to him. Paul wrote in Romans 8:26....

"...for the problem is that we do not know what we should pray for as we need to, but the spirit itself pleads for us with unuttered groanings."

If we search for God with the right spirit or attitude, we can approach him very intimately. But when we pray, we should address God by the name he revealed in the scriptures. (YHWH Yahweh or Jehovah) The OT writers used God's name freely and with great reverence. God's name was use 780 times just in the Psalms alone.

Ask Jehovah to guide you to his truth....he will do so but please remember that the truth is like buried treasure...it requires effort to dig for it. God is not far away from any of us. (Acts 17:24-27)

Ask questions and evaluate the answers. There is only one truth, not many versions of it. Just as Jesus said, his true disciples would be hated by the world, not admired by it. (John 15:18-21) Get to know the one who sent Jesus...it means your life. (John 17:3)

Why did you omit Elohim?

Why would he care what name you called him with?

Why would he adjust his perfect plans on the input of mortals?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
2) If a deity exists that is all knowing, all powerful, and all good, then why would you pray? It would know the perfect plan for all of existence so why would it change that plan for something that you suggested?

This is a good point. I think of times when someone might pray for rain, but then I wonder, wouldn't an all-knowing deity already be aware of the need for rain in a given area?

Or like when someone has a friend or loved one who is dying and they pray for some divine intervention. God would presumably already know their thoughts and feelings on the matter, even if they didn't actually say it in prayer.

I've heard some thoughts on the matter in that prayer is not necessarily to ask for anything, except for forgiveness...and our daily bread, I suppose. I once prayed for freshly baked cinnamon rolls, but I had to go to the bakery to get them. God doesn't deliver.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I pray to hear my inner voice alone. I have no responses to any of those prayers. so I think what would be in line with the truth that deserves answering. And I am still as honest as honest can be about it and still no answers.

so I look within to create my reality. And than I get tired of my own voice and try to make someone else's day better.

So than I wonder if there is divineness out there perhaps they are not able to change or influence circumstances and all they are able to do is impart lessons to me. Than it's up to me to learn and apply those lessons. so than I buy a notebook and start writing down what i've learned . than I take the good from the junk and start working on that.

And lo and behold it works a higher truth is guiding me all the way. all it takes is humility and willfulness and an honest heart and doors open within me and situations become better because I apply truths that I know I learned and are trustworthy and in line with truth.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Sincerely,
Struggling
I had the same type of issue for the longest time during my transition from my COF to complacency.

Eventually, you will need to come to terms concerning the reality between God and prayer to which perhaps, having a conversation with yourself will yield far better results.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Why did you omit Elohim?

The Hebrew word ʼelo·himʹ (meaning "gods") appears to be from a root meaning “be strong.” Like "theos" in Greek, it means "a strong mighty one". It is not a title exclusive to Jehovah.

ʼElo·himʹ is the plural of ʼelohʹah (god). Sometimes this plural refers to a number of gods (Genesis 31:30, 32; 35:2), but more often it is used as a plural of majesty, dignity, or excellence.

ʼElo·himʹ is used in the Scriptures with reference to Jehovah himself, to angels, to idol gods (singular and plural), and to men.

Like "Adonai" (LORD) ʼElo·himʹ is not his personal name.

Why would he care what name you called him with?

Jehovah revealed his name to Moses....
Exodus 3:13-15:
"But Moses said to the true God: “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your forefathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What should I say to them?” 14 So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.” And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’” 15 Then God said once more to Moses:
“This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation."

God's name YHWH literally means “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.” wrongly translated "I Am" in many Bibles. It was not a statement of his being but a name that declared his intentions....to do whatever he needed to do to keep his purpose on track. He can 'be' or 'become' whatever he needs to be.

Why would he adjust his perfect plans on the input of mortals?

God's perfect plans were always in the best interests of humankind...if only they had not abused their free will and derailed that purpose temporarily for themselves. If they had remained obedient (as they should have) they would still be alive today with all their offspring enjoying the paradise conditions God told them to spread all over the earth. It was never God's intention for humans to live anywhere but on earth. With disobedience came sin and death and a need to redeem Adam's children, sold into slavery through no fault on their part. God ransomed them out of that situation and paid for Adam's sin with the life of his most trusted son.

Being 'created in God's image and likeness', humans could exercise their free will in all things. But they had to learn to use it wisely, not selfishly. From that rough start in Eden, God has been teaching humans what results when they ignore his commands and decide for themselves what is good and what is bad. Now that precedents have been set by allowing humans to explore the full range of consequences, rebellion will never again interfere with his purpose for the earth and indeed for the whole universe. He did not create all this for nothing.

Aiviu

Sincerely,
Struggling

Does your life make you feel beloved? Or are you waiting in modest hope to get a response from your faith? Dont you ask whether God is listening to your prayer, but whether you should continue to believe?

You speak to God as with your own heart. Only from your heart you feel beloved. Inside there is heaven. From being in the depths of your heart you feel alive (beloved) and in heaven lives God.

The heart triggers things whose scope we can not guess because it is in the future of what we are going to do. This heart will call our minds to recognize it. And even if we sin we just tried to recall ourselves. But no blind person were ever able to see.

Heartful thoughts can not act in reality if they are imagined. We are just doubting them. Who is going to do things, if he already knows that he will be disappointed? What have we made forgotten within our doubts?

kind regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Sincerely,
Struggling

To tell you honestly, my prayers aren't answered because I asked of them. They are answered because prayer gets me in the mindset to observe.

For example, if I prayed for my grandmother who was sick (before she passed) to not have cancer, I can pray all I want but what I literally do won't make the cancer go away. Instead, it's a reflective gesture to center yourself and feel gratitude for the person I care for. So, when I see the cancer is in remission, it's not the answer to my prayer but how prayer made me see what was going to happen anyway without my input.

It's a way to notice things that you pray for. Make connections. Just in many people's cases, when they see a connection, they immediately attribute it to god but when it's bad, they attribute it to satan. I find that unhealthy.

Have you every made your prayers physical? Do something like light a candle or if you like, I don't know, music, play something on behalf of the person you're praying for or to?

Maybe actually acting a prayer lets you be aware of the connections you have with the "answers." If you're looking for direct answers, there are none. From my experience and observation, it is all synchronicity. I never heard a believer that has his prayers answered without them connecting the dots of already given knowledge of the situation.

I think you're making prayer more than what it cracks out to be. It's a grounding communication tool and you can pray differently for different reasons. Just with god, it's more about observation and how you attribute the things you see to god or something else.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
One thing that may be worth examining, @SearchingForGod , is what you believe about prayer. Your own expectations about what prayer is set the tone for your experiences and your interpretations of those experiences. It'd be worth doing the same thing for your understanding of the term "god(s)" for the same reason. It sounds like you follow a theology that presumes the thing called "god" cares about humans or listens to humans or watches out for them. And that the thing called "prayer" is a way of speaking to this caring god. If those convictions are strong, you won't feel the activity as you do it now is pointless. If you have doubts, you may run into trouble having that paradigm work for you.

There are other paradigms to operate by. @Carlita gave a great example of one - a system where prayer is not about you, it is about the thing you pray to (essentially a form of worship or expressing gratitude by paying attention). In many religious traditions, humans frankly are insignificant compared to the gods/universe. That experience of being humbled - letting go of egoism - and realizing how trivial your problems are can be alleviating too. You go "here I am, in this awesome big wide world whining about this thing instead of going out there and giving thanks for something greater than myself? What on earth am I wasting my time doing?!" :D

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
God's perfect plans were always in the best interests of humankind...if only they had not abused their free will and derailed that purpose temporarily for themselves. If they had remained obedient (as they should have) they would still be alive today with all their offspring enjoying the paradise conditions God told them to spread all over the earth. It was never God's intention for humans to live anywhere but on earth. With disobedience came sin and death and a need to redeem Adam's children, sold into slavery through no fault on their part. God ransomed them out of that situation and paid for Adam's sin with the life of his most trusted son.

Being 'created in God's image and likeness', humans could exercise their free will in all things. But they had to learn to use it wisely, not selfishly. From that rough start in Eden, God has been teaching humans what results when they ignore his commands and decide for themselves what is good and what is bad. Now that precedents have been set by allowing humans to explore the full range of consequences, rebellion will never again interfere with his purpose for the earth and indeed for the whole universe. He did not create all this for nothing.

How was humankind's disobedience not part of his plan?

He would know the future.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Sincerely,
Struggling

It does not seem pointless. It is pointless.

My suggestion is to pray to something you know to exist. Your kitchen, for instance. Or, if you want to be more specific, I propose the fridge. My favorite life giver.

You will be surprised of the comparable prayers-answers ratio.

At least nobody can accuse you to pray to imaginary things, while getting the same exact return.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:
"Does God truly hear our prayers?"

Does a tree listen to you pray? A mountain? A bear? A snowflake?
Does a galaxy hang on your every word?
Do any of them answer you?

You're barking up the wrong tree.

True prayer is simply awareness of Truth. There's nothing you need, but you don't know that yet.
Instead of asking, be grateful. Instead of searching, appreciate.
By removing your own self-importance, you become what you sought.

Akivah

Prayers aren't answered with a thunderclap and lightning bolt. When directing our prayers to G-d, we only speak to thin air as G-d has no physical form. G-d cares about all of His creations. He proved His care by providing the Torah to us at Mount Sinai. He proved His care by creating the universe for us. G-d certainly doesn't need anything, He created everything for our benefit and gave us His teaching about how to best live our life.

To pray to G-d doesn't require anything specific. You could direct your thoughts to G-d as well. G-d has answered many of my prayers. However, I never pray for physical things. I pray for understanding of events in my life and I pray for strength to overcome obstacles.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My favorite kind of prayer is when my heart opens as a flower opens to the sun. When that happens the God that is within me and the God that is outside of me join.

When I pray in words for another, very often it's this round that speaks to me:

May the long time sunshine call you
all love surround you
and the pure light within you
guide your way on.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
How was humankind's disobedience not part of his plan?

He would know the future.

God can choose to know whatever he likes. But let me ask you this: "if you were a master locksmith and you made a key that could unlock every lock in existence, would you have to unlock every lock just because you could? "

God allows humans to exercise their own free will. He did not pre-determine the outcome of the the scenario in Eden, but allowed the humans and the devil to make their own choices.

There were a few different outcomes that could have equally played out.

1) The woman could have rebuffed the devil's offer citing God's command and obeying it, despite the temptation that was offered. There is one rebel.

2) The woman may have eaten the fruit, but her offer to her husband could have been refused because the man was better educated and have chosen loyalty to his God, rather than to his wife. There are two rebels.

3) The devil tempts the woman who in turn leads the man into sin. There are three rebels.

Number 3 is the worst case scenario, but was used then to implement an object lesson for the whole human race, as well as a good test for God's angelic sons. All have free will and all will be separated into two groups at the end of the lesson.

Jesus mentions the fate of the devil along with all who fail the test of loyalty....
Matthew 25:31, 41:
When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit down on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will put the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left......
Then he will say to those on his left: ‘Go away from me, you who have been cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the Devil and his angels."

So the writing has been on the wall since the beginning. Unless you understand what life in this world is all about, you can miss the lesson completely and see God as some kind of failure for not preventing the trauma and tragedy that has resulted from the bad choices made in Eden. This was all planned so that it will set precedents for all eternity to come......rebellion will never again be permitted to disrupt God's eternal purpose.
Any who abuse free will in the future will be dealt with swiftly.

Don't forget that time is only relevant to those who have a limited supply of it. God has no such restriction, so he can allow as much time as is necessary to set those precedents. All humanity then receives the same test, with the same choices. Angels too will have made their decision to either serve their God faithfully or join the devil in opposing him. There are only two camps.....those who are for God and those who are against him.....we are free to choose the camp.

arthra

Baha'i
Sincerely,
Struggling

Of course Searching... I believe it can depend on your prayers themselves...

As a Baha'i I pray daily.. I don't ask for things as such... I pray to be nearer to God and to live a life according to His Laws for this day. When I receive blessings I am thankful... When I encounter adversities I pray for confirmation that ultimately truth and justice will prevail... not just in my view but in conformity with the Divine Order of things.

God in my belief is very near to us... The Qur'an has a verse that says God is closer to us than our jugular vein:

16. It was We who created man and We know what dark suggestions his soul makes to him: for We are nearer to him than (his) jugular vein.

(The Qur'an (Yusuf Ali tr), Surah 50)

God is immanent..

58. O SON OF MAN!
The temple of being is My throne; cleanse it of all things, that there I may be established and there I may abide.

59. O SON OF BEING!
Thy heart is My home; sanctify it for My descent. Thy spirit is My place of revelation; cleanse it for My manifestation.

60. O SON OF MAN!
Put thy hand into My bosom, that I may rise above thee, radiant and resplendent.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
God can choose to know whatever he likes. But let me ask you this: "if you were a master locksmith and you made a key that could unlock every lock in existence, would you have to unlock every lock just because you could? "

God allows humans to exercise their own free will. He did not pre-determine the outcome of the the scenario in Eden, but allowed the humans and the devil to make their own choices.

There were a few different outcomes that could have equally played out.

1) The woman could have rebuffed the devil's offer citing God's command and obeying it, despite the temptation that was offered. There is one rebel.

2) The woman may have eaten the fruit, but her offer to her husband could have been refused because the man was better educated and have chosen loyalty to his God, rather than to his wife. There are two rebels.

3) The devil tempts the woman who in turn leads the man into sin. There are three rebels.

Number 3 is the worst case scenario, but was used then to implement an object lesson for the whole human race, as well as a good test for God's angelic sons. All have free will and all will be separated into two groups at the end of the lesson.

Jesus mentions the fate of the devil along with all who fail the test of loyalty....
Matthew 25:31, 41:
When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit down on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will put the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left......
Then he will say to those on his left: ‘Go away from me, you who have been cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the Devil and his angels."

So the writing has been on the wall since the beginning. Unless you understand what life in this world is all about, you can miss the lesson completely and see God as some kind of failure for not preventing the trauma and tragedy that has resulted from the bad choices made in Eden. This was all planned so that it will set precedents for all eternity to come......rebellion will never again be permitted to disrupt God's eternal purpose.
Any who abuse free will in the future will be dealt with swiftly.

Don't forget that time is only relevant to those who have a limited supply of it. God has no such restriction, so he can allow as much time as is necessary to set those precedents. All humanity then receives the same test, with the same choices. Angels too will have made their decision to either serve their God faithfully or join the devil in opposing him. There are only two camps.....those who are for God and those who are against him.....we are free to choose the camp.

If god exists and is all-powerful and all-knowing.

Then he could see the future, including what actions people will take.

Since our thoughts and by extension our actions come from our own personalities which come from genetics and environment, both of which god would be responsible for, god chose what outcome your life will have.

The only way around this is to say that god cannot see the future, in which case he is not all-powerful or all-knowing. Or by saying that god is not all-good.

Either one contradicts scripture.