• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God Test Our Faith?

How could I not start with my belief in God?
hehe, easy-- go back in time, and be raised in ancient Greek society. Then you wouldn't have something deep inside of you that tells you God exists, you would have something deep inside you telling you that Zeus and Poseidon and all the other Greek gods and godesses exist. And you know, I think that 'something' would be society. Society is always bossing us around before we have a chance to think for ourselves.

The reason I like to discuss the existence of God and other philosophical and scientific concepts is because if I am honestly seeking the truth, I don't want to 'overlook' anything. If I'm wrong, I'd like someone to show me the light. If there are flaws in my way of thinking, I want people to point them out to me, pronto! My questioning nature leads me even to questioning myself...but I can't objectively question myself--I need you people to do it for me. :)

The same goes for God testing our faith...if God does test our faith, I would sure like to know about it...in the same token, if God does not test our faith, I want to know that also. Logic and questioning are the only options, I think.

Ceridwen018

Because despite everything my logic and intellect tells me, there is something deep inside of me that tells me that God exists.
There is someone in a mental institution right now, who, despite everything his logic and intellect may tell him, knows deep down that he is Abraham Lincoln. Now, I'm not saying that you belong in a mental instituion by any means--it's just something to think about. Our emotions are highly subjective and lie to us often.

Melody

<<Our emotions are highly subjective and lie to us often.>>

Logic and intellect can mislead you as well.

Melody

Lightkeeper

Because despite everything my logic and intellect tells me, there is something deep inside of me that tells me that God exists.
Ceridwen018 said:
There is someone in a mental institution right now, who, despite everything his logic and intellect may tell him, knows deep down that he is Abraham Lincoln. Now, I'm not saying that you belong in a mental instituion by any means--it's just something to think about. Our emotions are highly subjective and lie to us often.
This seems a bit rough to me and it does suggest that someone who believes in God belongs in a mental institution. It is also borderline proselytizing, because of asking her to think about your way of thinking.

Many scientists believe in a higher power. Does that mean they are too emotional to make discoveries, they belong in an institution and we shouldn't listen to anything they have to say? Should we stop listening to Hawkings? I would think a good scientist would stay open to possibilities in order to make new discoveries. Set beliefs would get them nowhere. Many religions teach us the Divine is within us and this could be what she is finding when she talks about "deep inside." Eighty-six percent of the world's population believes in a higher power. That would suggest a norm.

Ceridwen018

I understand what you're saying, Lightkeeper, and yes, perhaps it was a poor analogy. I acknowledge that there are plenty of religious scientists, but the fact remains that the ones which are respected are held in such esteem because they put science first and religion second, aka, there aren't very many highly resepected creationists inside the scientific community.

All I'm saying is that in my opinion, believing in something just because it's what you feel to be right, especially if logical reasoning is telling you otherwise, is not particularly good and should require deeper personal evaluation. You mentioned 86%--just because it's what everyone else thinks isn't any better a reason to believe.

Ronald

Ceri, Mon Cheri;
Lets see if you can understand what I say.
I said before on this thread HaShem does not test ones faith. And since you have no faith how could he or anybody test nothing?
Okay! I have no idea if you have been called by HaShem, if you are not called you will never understand. Mt.22:14 "Many are called and few are chosen." Please note many are called, not all are called and many are chosen. That by simple deduction leaves some who are not called. Right?
Let's assume for this thread you were called. If you are called you can deny your calling and stay far from it or you can do nothing.
You said you would need a good shake as in your sig. Well, read Numbers 22, then as you read to Nu.22:31. I know you don't ride a donkey so the illistration given wouldn't be appropo, but one day you are driving down the road and your car screeches to a halt, you are baffled, you try to proceed and your cars front brakes wont release, you gun your engine and spin your wheels, but yet you do not move. Three times you are denied, you get out and kick the door in. Your car said "Am I not your car in which you have driven ever since you 've had me? was I ever accustomed to do this to you?" You answer "No!" Then the Lord opened Balaams eyes and he saw the Angel of the Lord standing in the Way. To condense this a little, the angel threated your life and to leave unharmed your car. Balaam saw the light and repented.
If and when this kind of event plays out in Ceri's life, then like me and Balaam you too will have the oportunity to repent. Testing your faith. No! Maybe tempering it, strenghtening it. Peter was not tested when he walked on water, but doubt caused him to sink. "Oh, you of little faith."

Ronald-- So why doesn't God simply perform this miracle for Ceridwen? Is it because he doesn't want her to be saved and repent, or because He doesn't exist?

Ronald

Mr_Spinkles said:
Ronald-- So why doesn't God simply perform this miracle for Ceridwen? Is it because he doesn't want her to be saved and repent, or because He doesn't exist?

Sprinkles, you forgot to read the first of it!
Just, Maybe, Ceridwen has not been called!
In your Theology Classes, was there a discussion of HaShem wasting time on the utterly lost? The Seed of Satan?
I assure you, IF you, Ceri and Pah have a calling, each of you will get a wake up call to where you will know it is from the one you doubt or know doesn't exist!
Otherwise 40 - 50 years from now, You, Sprinkles will be here poking fun at us dumb-donkeys, who believe in the unseen Creator. Shalom [;)]

In other words, God doesn't want Ceridwen to be saved and repent....He hasn't chosen her. But why? Is it more difficult for God to perform a miracle for Ceridwen than to perform one for someone else (and for that matter, can anything be more difficult for God since he is all powerful)?

I think both the theists and the atheists take part in their fair share of fun-poking. :)

Ronald

Mr_Spinkles said:
In other words, God doesn't want Ceridwen to be saved and repent....He hasn't chosen her. But why? Is it more difficult for God to perform a miracle for Ceridwen than to perform one for someone else (and for that matter, can anything be more difficult for God since he is all powerful)?

I think both the theists and the atheists take part in their fair share of fun-poking. :)

Sprinkles, you have a Christian Soul, you twist every thing I write to your point of view. God has done it all, already! Time will tell if Ceridwen is called or not. It would be no problem for God to cause Ceridwen to repent and turn and worship him, same for you, should someone beg him to do that and he changed his mind, but that has already been done if it's going to be done,Circlular reasoning again, in which you detest. For God to do something he swore not to do would make him "No God". But he is God and does just what the Word of God says he will do.
Yep, I think I poke you often. LOL Hope you take no offence? [;)]