• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God Test Our Faith?

Ceridwen018

Because God already knows whether or not we will have faith/love Him. What is the point in erasing his own knowledge of the outcome, then testing us to see the outcome? It's makes no sense.
This is what I've been saying too. Why wouldn't god spare us the pain and frustration of these tests if he is able (and we've already agreed that he is able).

As far as the tests being pointless or not, let's hear your side directly, Bryan--what is the point?

Lightkeeper

Ceridwen018 said:
This is what I've been saying too. Why wouldn't god spare us the pain and frustration of these tests if he is able (and we've already agreed that he is able).

As far as the tests being pointless or not, let's hear your side directly, Bryan--what is the point?
Or, you could liken this to the parent/child relationship. A parent will allow a child to make mistakes, because their growth is much greater by trial and error than it is by the parent saying so. If the goal is higher conciousness we need to learn our own lessons. If God were testing us, it could be for growth. Maybe we are hung up on the "faith" interpretation. Maybe "faith" could be interpreted as growth or higher conciousness.

Yerda

Veteran Member
It seems God's infinite power is costly. The poor deity is so bored it entertains itself by harrassing us, and itself apparently. Think it'd get a pool table or a playstation...

Ceridwen018

Or, you could liken this to the parent/child relationship. A parent will allow a child to make mistakes, because their growth is much greater by trial and error than it is by the parent saying so. If the goal is higher conciousness we need to learn our own lessons. If God were testing us, it could be for growth. Maybe we are hung up on the "faith" interpretation. Maybe "faith" could be interpreted as growth or higher conciousness.
This is an interesting point, Lightkeeper, but the possibility of growth is a whole different idea. Bryan is proposing that god tests us to to test our love for him--the equivalent of a parent intentionally putting their child in a frustrating situation just to see if the child will still trust them afterwards. That doesn't sound like a very healthy relationship to me.

Think it'd get a pool table or a playstation...
What if the q-balls and little video game people were real and had feelings, but we didn't even know it? Whoa...

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
No, I don't believe "God" tests our "faith". What would be the point? It seems to me people use this to "God is testing me" to explain why bad things happen to them instead of looking within themselves or environment to find the answer, and sometimes bad things just happen.

Lightkeeper

Ceridwen018 said:
This is an interesting point, Lightkeeper, but the possibility of growth is a whole different idea. Bryan is proposing that god tests us to to test our love for him--the equivalent of a parent intentionally putting their child in a frustrating situation just to see if the child will still trust them afterwards. That doesn't sound like a very healthy relationship to me.
I think there is a misinterpretation of the intent. Instead of placing a selfish intention on God, think of greater love as growth or higher conciousness. I look deeper than the surface level interpretation.

Ronald

HaShem puts tests in front of you for you to test your faith, God already knows how you will respond. You don't. He foreknew.

Rex

Founder
Maize said:
No, I don't believe "God" tests our "faith". What would be the point? It seems to me people use this to "God is testing me" to explain why bad things happen to them instead of looking within themselves or environment to find the answer, and sometimes bad things just happen.
Check out my Satan post. It is known that God tests faith.

iwilliam

I agree with most of you. Why would a omnipotent,and omnipresent god have to test a mortal he created? POOR JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronald

Here is a test! Mitzvah, "when you go up(to the Temple). Do not go up empty handed."
What? What kind of test could this be? Hebrew Pilgrims knew and went up with things in their hand(s). Completing the Mitzvah/commandment. When the Messiah returns you will need to know!

dan

Ceridwen018 said:

What if the q-balls and little video game people were real and had feelings, but we didn't even know it? Whoa...

God knows if exactly how we're gonna respond. The tests are for our benefit, not His. If He weren't sure how we'd respond we'd all have failed years ago and would all be in Hell right now. He knows exactly where our limnits are and He continually pushes us to advance them.

Bryan X

iwilliam said:
I agree with most of you. Why would a omnipotent,and omnipresent god have to test a mortal he created? POOR JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor job?

Hey, only your opinion. No, I dare not change it.

Ok, so I think most of us agree that God does not test our faith to see how strong our faith is in Him. The second explanation I'm hearing is that God tests our faith as a means to an end-- the end being the growth of His creations.

There's a big problem with this proposed explanation--God could snap His fingers and we would all grow (reach a higher consciousness, and so forth). There is still no need for a test. I agree with what Maize said...the "God is testing us" argument is a vain attempt to avoid the fact that, well, sometimes bad things just happen.