• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God Test Our Faith?

Lightkeeper

This is a continuation from the topic started in the God Centerred thread. Does God test our faith and if so what would be the purpose?

Bryan X

Thanks for creating this thread.

This is my response to Mr. Spinkles from the other thread:

Mr_Spinkles said:
I fail to see the purpose of any test, considering an omnipotent being would know the results ahead of time.

Yes, God's powerful enough to know the end results. He also has the power to prevent Himself from knowing it.

Your observation is correct if you fail to see the purpose of God to test your faith since He knows the outcome. That's the thing, He doesn't want to know the outcome. It would be useless for Him to test you if He already knows what will happen. He tests your faith to see if you really love Him enough no matter what the price. If He puts you in these types of positions, and eventually you end up blaming Him, then you lack faith in Him. Be strong in the faith and acknowledge the fact that He's testing you, and that no matter what comes your way, you will first help yourself so that He can help you.

Maybe I can go on with this, but I'll stop right now(kinda tired).

Bryan X said:
Yes, God's powerful enough to know the end results. He also has the power to prevent Himself from knowing it.
Why would He want to do that? Seems pretty pointless.

It would be useless for Him to test you if He already knows what will happen.
Similarly, it would be useless for Him to erase his own knowledge of what will happen, then test us to see what will happen.

That's the thing, He doesn't want to know the outcome.
Of course He wants to know the outcome, otherwise what is the point of the test? You even said yourself:
He tests your faith to see if you really love Him enough no matter what the price.
You appear to be contradicting yourself here.

If He puts you in these types of positions, and eventually you end up blaming Him, then you lack faith in Him. Be strong in the faith and acknowledge the fact that He's testing you, and that no matter what comes your way, you will first help yourself so that He can help you.
Regardless of whether God is testing someone or not, we should try to keep a positive outlook and help ourselves.

Drewstom

Bryan if why would god want to test us if he did not want to know the outcome like you said? Wouldn't that be pointless?

Ceridwen018

LOL, whether or not god knows the outcome or covers his eyes, the testing in itself is pointless! What are we training for anyhow, the Seraphim Olympics?

He tests your faith to see if you really love Him enough no matter what the price. If He puts you in these types of positions, and eventually you end up blaming Him, then you lack faith in Him
Um, yeah! If my mother set me up for failure all the time, just to see if I would still love her when it was all over, I would lose a heck of a lot of faith and trust in her. What does god expect us to do?

It seems kind of sadistic that god would put us through these 'tests' when he could already know the outcome. If he wants to know how much someone loves him, why doesn't he just look, instead of refuse to look and test, as you suggest?

Bryan X

Similarly, it would be useless for Him to erase his own knowledge of what will happen, then test us to see what will happen.

Why would it be useless?

Of course He wants to know the outcome, otherwise what is the point of the test? You even said yourself:

You word against mine. He wants to find out how strong you are in the faith. But you're right, there IS no point to test you if He already knows the outcome. Therefore, He keeps Himself from knowing the result so He can test you.

You appear to be contradicting yourself here.

Heheheheh

Regardless of whether God is testing someone or not, we should try to keep a positive outlook and help ourselves.

That's true. Unfortunately, there are some people who don't even bother to help themselves. They think that if they can just pray and depend on God for needful things, it will just come to them without that person lifting a finger to help themselves.

Drewstom

I kinda just covered what you said in the thread I started in the non moderated debate if you want to look at it.

Bryan X

Ceridwen018 said:
What are we training for anyhow, the Seraphim Olympics?

Very funny...

It seems kind of sadistic that god would put us through these 'tests' when he could already know the outcome. If he wants to know how much someone loves him, why doesn't he just look, instead of refuse to look and test, as you suggest?

Why doesn't He just look? Oh boy, if it was only that easy. Of course to God it is that easy. I can already see that happening...God looking through each person...

"Ok, you love me......Next! Yup, you love me too....Next in line! Hmmm, doesn't look like this person loves me at all that much. But who cares? NEXT!"

And so on and so forth. LoL!

Ceridwen018

"Ok, you love me......Next! Yup, you love me too....Next in line! Hmmm, doesn't look like this person loves me at all that much. But who cares? NEXT!"
Well why not? The outcome is the same, we're all just spared a whole lot of frustration and tears.

Drewstom

Bryan X said:

And so on and so forth. LoL!

You laughed out loud at that? I'm still pondering on how thats funny... or why you would even add that to your argument it totally goes against what youve been saying this entire time

Bryan X

Ceridwen018 said:
Well why not? The outcome is the same, we're all just spared a whole lot of frustration and tears.

That could possibly be your answer to anything.

Why can't God, with a snap of a finger, just end all the disasters in this world? Why can't He just end the wars in a heartbeat and make everyone at peace? Why can't He solve our problems for us?

*shrugs shoulders*

Well, why not? Afterall, He's God and He's powerful. If you were God, would you end all the disasters, end the world wars, and solve everyone's problems for them? If your answer is yes, then you must have the most easiest and boring job in the world.

Bryan X

Drewstom said:
You laughed out loud at that? I'm still pondering on how thats funny... or why you would even add that to your argument it totally goes against what youve been saying this entire time

It doesn't go against of what I've been saying. It was sarcasm. Familiar to ya'?

Why would it be useless?
Because God already knows whether or not we will have faith/love Him. What is the point in erasing his own knowledge of the outcome, then testing us to see the outcome? It's makes no sense.

You seem to be saying:
1) God wants to know how strong we are in our faith
2) God already does (did) know how strong we are in our faith
3) A test is pointless, since God already knows how strong we are in our faith

This is where the argument should stop. But you go on to say:

4) So God erases His own knowledge of our faith, thereby making a test necessary to acheive #1.

It's that fourth point that doesn't make sense....the argument should stop at #3.

Ceridwen018

Well, why not? Afterall, He's God and He's powerful. If you were God, would you end all the disasters, end the world wars, and solve everyone's problems for them? If your answer is yes, then you must have the most easiest and boring job in the world.
Oh so is that it then? God enjoys watching us squirm? We're just the ultimate reality TV show? If I were god, I would certainly end all suffering and evil. Personally, those kinds of things aren't entertaining for me. If I got bored I'd just whip myself up a deck of cards, or a fellow god who looks like Heath Ledger ;)

Bryan X

Mr_Spinkles said:
Because God already knows whether or not we will have faith/love Him. What is the point in erasing his own knowledge of the outcome, then testing us to see the outcome? It's makes no sense.

And round and round we go...

You seem to be saying:
1) God wants to know how strong we are in our faith

Yes.

2) God already does (did) know how strong we are in our faith

Did I say that in any of my posts, or maybe that's just how it seems TO YOU?

3) A test is pointless, since God already knows how strong we are in our faith

Again, did I say that in any of my posts(that a test is pointless?), or maybe that's just how it seems TO YOU?

This is where the argument should stop.

If we can't have a friendly discussion, then yes, this is where it should stop.

4) So God erases His own knowledge of our faith, thereby making a test necessary to acheive #1.

PREVENT! PREVENT! Not erase. If you use the word 'erase', that means He won't know the outcome and His knowledge of it doesn't exist anymore. However, His knowledge of knowing the outcome IS STILL THERE, it still exists, the only difference now is He's just keeping Himself from knowing it.

Erase? Jeez, no wonder why you're confused.

Drewstom

Enough with the quoting and finding flaws in what each other says we should tell each other what we think on the topic not what we find wrong with the others persons comment. ( I know I was using alot of quotes also I just want it to stop)

Bryan-- in one of your posts, you did say that God knows the outcome of any test, and you also said that knowledge of the outcome of a test renders the test pointless. But you said that God "hides" the outcome from Himself to necessitate a test....why?

We can have a friendly discussion Bryan. I hope I wasn't being unfriendly. :)

Vassara020

why does god even need to know we love him??? For what perpose.
what happens if no one loves him? what then, does he cry his all might self to sleep..... does he even need to sleep??? i wonder...

all this make no sence to me...

Vassara020

PREVENT! PREVENT! Not erase. If you use the word 'erase', that means He won't know the outcome and His knowledge of it doesn't exist anymore. However, His knowledge of knowing the outcome IS STILL THERE, it still exists, the only difference now is He's just keeping Himself from knowing it.

You would have to know what was going to happen or at lest have an idea to prevent it.....