• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does God require us to worship him?

Levite

Higher and Higher
Does he, or do we do it because we want to do it?

Well, Jews are obligated, because prayer is one of the commandments. We have traditionally believed that God does not want even non-Jews to worship false Gods, but we have never had universal agreement about whether non-Jews are actively required to worship God, or only to refrain from worshipping false gods.

Either way, it's none of our business: we believe that non-Jewish peoples have their own ways of dealing with God, which are for them, and are not for Jews; just as our ways are for us, and do not concern others.

davidthegreek

Well, Jews are obligated, because prayer is one of the commandments. We have traditionally believed that God does not want even non-Jews to worship false Gods, but we have never had universal agreement about whether non-Jews are actively required to worship God, or only to refrain from worshipping false gods.

Either way, it's none of our business: we believe that non-Jewish peoples have their own ways of dealing with God, which are for them, and are not for Jews; just as our ways are for us, and do not concern others.

We basically believe the same thing.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you

This is sort of a hard question from my standpoint. To me, god is a very hands-off sort of fella. I don't believe that god necessarily requires worship from us other than the fact that it seems to be something humans have enjoyed for thousands of years. From my perspective anything that humans have done for thousands of years must be intentional if there is a god who created us with purpose (as I believe there must be). So its kind of in a round about way that god desires worship from us.

Additionally, in light of the same belief (that the things we've done for thousands of years must be intentional) one could suggest that the mere fact that you are a human being acting as a human being does is a testament to god's ingenuity in and of itself which could be seen as a form of constant worship. That's a bit of a stretch, but worth mentioning I think.

Anyway, to answer your question I think it's a bit of both. We do desire to worship because its a sense of power (however realistic it is) that no one can take away from us. We appeal to something so mighty we can barely comprehend it. It's a free sense of power with no drawbacks. Alluring doesn't begin to describe it.

But I don't think that god really considers worship all that important. I don't think god considers us all that important, really. Not on the individual level anyway.

arthra

Baha'i

I believe in the Qur'án 11:61 there's a verse that goes like this:

'O my people,' said He, 'Worship God, ye have none other God beside Him....'

From the Baha'i Writings:

"Worship none but God, and, with radiant hearts, lift up your faces unto your Lord, the Lord of all names."

~ Baha'u'llah, The Proclamation of Baha'u'llah, p. 3

"Say: Take heed lest your devotions withhold you from Him Who is the object of all devotion, or your worship debar you from Him Who is the object of all worship. Rend asunder the veils of your idle fancies! This is your Lord, the Almighty, the All-Knowing, Who hath come to quicken the world and unite all who dwell on earth. Turn unto the Dayspring of Revelation, O people, and tarry not, be it for less than the twinkling of an eye."

~ Baha'u'llah, The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, p. 57

So in my view worship is a love affair... Love of God for humanity and love of humanity for God.

chinu

chinu
No, God doesn't require us to worship him, But.. we require to worship God.
Why do we require worship ?
For example: Suddenly somebody from our family is in CCU due to an accident, Now.. it doesn't make any difference that we believe in God or Not, Whims of prayer automatically start flowing out from our body just by hearing such news. :)

And if we require worship, than definatly we require SOMETHING to worship, and if that SOMETHING doesn't compleate our needs, than we require SOMETHING else bigger than that "To tell all this" or "To worship". But.. we need worship. :)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
God worshiping, the way it commonly is at least modernly, is just ***-kissing ingrates who want something more than the big guy gave them...

Jlbevin

How could you know God and not worship him? That's impossible. Praising him and the gift he gave me for it ,which Iwill not reveal,was so good it passed all expectations, not that I wanted anything, it was a surprize.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
How could you know God and not worship him? That's impossible. Praising him and the gift he gave me for it ,which Iwill not reveal,was so good it passed all expectations, not that I wanted anything, it was a surprize.
Assuming your concept of God.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

So, in this instance, you do not understand how you, personally, could not worship God. Which is fine, since it is your God. However, another's God may not need worship even for bestowing gifts upon them. That is what is great about God; full customization.

Not really, Satanists for instance might believe in the Bible yet worship Satan, for instance.
But yes, generally if someone believes in God why wouldn't they worship Him

peace

I think you are confusing Satanism and Devil Worshiping specifically, but that is for another time. I think that you, like most, fall into the dangerous assumption that when someone believes in God they believe in the same God you do. This is not possible, as no two minds are alike. Now, within certain religions, sure an idea of God is swallowed by an entire congregation, but this is simply a hive mind vs an individual mind (and you can look at the two under the same microscope).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Sri Krishna does not require worship, but it certainly helps! :)

"Fix your mind on Me alone; let your reason penetrate into Me; without doubt you will then abide in Me alone for ever more". - Bhagavad Gita 12.8

"Let your mind be engrossed in Me. Offer worship to Me. Be resigned to Me. Beloved as you are of me, I pledge in truth you shall come to Me alone." - Bhagavad Gita 18.65

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I think you are confusing Satanism and Devil Worshiping specifically, but that is for another time. I think that you, like most, fall into the dangerous assumption that when someone believes in God they believe in the same God you do. This is not possible, as no two minds are alike. Now, within certain religions, sure an idea of God is swallowed by an entire congregation, but this is simply a hive mind vs an individual mind (and you can look at the two under the same microscope).

Uh, that's why I referenced the Bible. So, the reference is from there.
You sure said a lot without saying anything

Bahá'u'lláh, the Founder of the Bahá'í Faith, declares that the purpose of life for an individual is "to know and to worship God." The question, of course, is: how can we worship something we cannot know? How do we know God? Who and what is God?
Bahá'u'lláh explains that God is unknowable but that we can get an idea of the essence of God through the attributes He possesses and manifests on this plane of existence. The Prophets of God are manifestations of God's many attributes. They manifest beauty, truth, steadfastness, faithfulness, wisdom, and so on. These attributes radiate from God and reflect as sunlight on the human temple. God Himself is unknowable, but He has made His attributes known.
When 'Abdu'l-Bahá says that good issues from God, therefore, He refers to God's attributes which all of us can practice in our personal and social relationships. When He says that bad (or evil) comes from the lower nature, He means that it originates in our neglect to practice the attributes of God in our lives: we refuse to be spiritual!
Next, what is worship? Webster's defines it as reverence, extreme devotion or intense love or admiration of any kind. In order to have deep and everlasting meaning in one's life, one must have reverence, intense love and admiration for these virtues that emanate from God. After all, virtues are everlasting whereas passions die with the body.
Our purpose, then, should be to acquire these divine virtues and make them a part of our lives. If such a purpose is translated into determination, we will become the means whereby these virtues can shine through us. In brief, knowing our purpose in life will likewise give meaning to our lives. But infusing life with such spiritual meaning does not stop at the individual level. There is a higher purpose to the individual life. Bahá'u'lláh says:
All men have been created to carry forward an ever-advancing civilization... To act like the beasts of the field is unworthy of man. Those virtues that befit his dignity are forbearance, mercy, compassion and loving-kindness towards all the peoples and kindreds of the earth.
(Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh, CIX, p. 214-215)
So, developing virtues not only brings abundant meaning in your life and provides a valuable purpose, it also contributes to the betterment of humankind.
Indeed, these are noble purposes.

davidthegreek

Sri Krishna does not require worship, but it certainly helps! :)

"Fix your mind on Me alone; let your reason penetrate into Me; without doubt you will then abide in Me alone for ever more". - Bhagavad Gita 12.8

"Let your mind be engrossed in Me. Offer worship to Me. Be resigned to Me. Beloved as you are of me, I pledge in truth you shall come to Me alone." - Bhagavad Gita 18.65

I wonder if that is how Christ feels also.