• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God require a creator?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Does God require a creator?.

If God does not require a creator, then does that logically imply that the universe does not either? Something can come out of nothing.

If one assumes that something can't come out of nothing, and this is a reasoning for their belief in God, then don't they have to question where God came from?

"God exists outside of time"
Time is relative... right? In the original Planet of the Apes (spoiler alert) them astronauts time traveled due to their speed and time's relativity, right? So, if time isn't concrete and static throughout the universe, I guess it's reasonable to assume a deity could be outside of time.

"God exists outside of existence." maybe?

I dunno

muhammad_isa

If God does not require a creator, then does that logically imply that the universe does not either? Something can come out of nothing.
Huh?
If the universe is eternal, it didn't come from nothing..
..but the universe has evolved, and is NOT eternal.

If one assumes that something can't come out of nothing, and this is a reasoning for their belief in God, then don't they have to question where God came from?
It is not a matter of "came from" .. it just "is".
Meaning that it is the ultimate reality .. always was, and always will be.
G-d is not a person.

Time belongs to G-d, as do we.

Time is relative... right?
Right .. the physical measurement of time is related to space.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Time is relative... right? In the original Planet of the Apes (spoiler alert) them astronauts time traveled due to their speed and time's relativity, right? So, if time isn't concrete and static throughout the universe, I guess it's reasonable to assume a deity could be outside of time.

No, that doesn't follow.

What the heck is "outside of existence" supposed to mean?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
What the heck is "outside of existence" supposed to mean?
I dunno really but like I've heard things like that said here and there I can't give you an exact quotation but like for example "The laws of physics does not apply to God because he exists outside the laws of physics" is one thing I remember being said here.

This then allows their god to do impossible things.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I dunno really but like I've heard things like that said here and there I can't give you an exact quotation but like for example "The laws of physics does not apply to God because he exists outside the laws of physics" is one thing I remember being said here.

This then allows their god to do impossible things.

Yeah... there are lots of things you can find here that make make no sense.

The laws of physics are descriptive, not prescriptive; they just describe what happens. The only way for something to be "outside of the laws of physics" is to not exist in reality.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Why is that? What's difficult about it?
Well, if God exists outside of existence - wait let's stop there!

Oh great, more semantics...

What is existence?

If God exists outside of existence, then where does God reside? Doesn't he by definition have to exist in existence?

The only solution I think to this problem is to say that there are multiple existences. One where God is in, and one where man is in. But then is God existing in our temporal world too? Depends who you ask I guess.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Yeah... there are lots of things you can find here that make make no sense.

The laws of physics are descriptive, not prescriptive; they just describe what happens. The only way for something to be "outside of the laws of physics" is to not exist in reality.

That's not true. I'm outside the laws of Canada. You're outside the laws of America. You lack vision.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

What is existence?

If God exists outside of existence, then where does God reside? Doesn't he by definition have to exist in existence?

The only solution I think to this problem is to say that there are multiple existences. One where God is in, and one where man is in. But then is God existing in our temporal world too? Depends who you ask I guess.
Sure. That's exactly it. God has its existence, we have an existence. Ours is limited to "creation", God is not limited by this. It all seems super easy to me.

It's not about proving this is true. It's simply about understanding the concept.

Again, that's easy. God is creating like an author writing a book. The timeline is different for us, God can come and go within the story, but we remain in the story. The laws of physics exist in the story, but God is not limited by these laws God can follow them, or not. God can write miracles into the story, or not.

What gets interesting is ... we have no idea how many stories God is writing, or has written.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

I dunno

The idea of "existing outside of time" is an oxymoron.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Huh?
If the universe is eternal, it didn't come from nothing..
..but the universe has evolved, and is NOT eternal.

That doesn't follow.
Why wouldn't an eternal thing be able to evolve?

It is not a matter of "came from" .. it just "is".

Why couldn't the universe "just be"?

Meaning that it is the ultimate reality .. always was, and always will be.
G-d is not a person.

But god is a thing, right?
The alternative is that god is nothing.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

What is existence?

To "exist outside of existence" is synonymous to "not existing".

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Sure. That's exactly it. God has its existence, we have an existence. Ours is limited to "creation", God is not limited by this. It all seems super easy to me.

It's not about proving this is true. It's simply about understanding the concept.

Again, that's easy. God is creating like an author writing a book. The timeline is different for us, God can come and go within the story, but we remain in the story. The laws of physics exist in the story, but God is not limited by these laws God can follow them, or not. God can write miracles into the story, or not.

What gets interesting is ... we have no idea how many stories God is writing, or has written.
Yeah. And an undetectable dragon lives in my garage. This dragon isn't limited by the laws of physics. It's all super easy to me.
It's not about proving it is true. It's simply about understanding the conctept.

Again, that's easy. The undetectable dragon lives in my garage and regularly plays poker with extra-dimensional undetectable pixies.

Jedster

I dunno

You may find this Hindu creation hymn useful. The writer also questions God.

"In the beginning there was neither existence nor non-existence; there was no atmosphere, no sky, and no realm beyond the sky. What power was there? Where was that power? Who was that power? Was it finite or infinite?

There was neither death nor immortality. There was nothing to distinguish night from day. There was no wind or breath. God alone breathed by his own energy. Other than God there was nothing.

In the beginning darkness was swathed in darkness. All was liquid and formless. God was clothed in emptiness.

Then fire arose within God; and in the fire arose love. This was the seed of the soul. Sages have found this seed within their hearts; they have discovered that it is the bond between existence and non-existence.

Who really knows what happened? Who can describe it? How were things produced? Where was creation born? When the universe was created, the one became many. Who knows how this occurred?

Did creation happen at God’s command, or did it happen without his command? He looks down upon creation from the highest heaven. Only he knows the answer - or perhaps he does not know." (Rig Veda 10:129.1–7)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I dunno
I suppose this goes back to how one defines "God."

In Hinduism, specifically in Advaita philosophy, "God" has qualities. This is Saguna Brahman. Saguna Brahman appears pragmatic reality (vyavaharika), which is subject to time, space, and causation, as is the universe (or multiverse, for that matter).

However, Brahman exists without qualities in Absolute Reality. This is Nirguna Brahman. Nirguana Brahman is eternal, immutable, and exists beyond time, space, and causation. "God" and the universe are vyavaharika and appear in Nirguna Brahman as a result of time/space/causation (Maya).

So to answer the question in this context, yes, God requires a creator, and God's "creator" is Maya.