• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God really exist?

Ran

I just wondering what do you tihink about it.If you believe in God can you prove that God does exist and if you don't believe in God, can you prove that God does'nt exist? Thanks :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I just wondering what do you think about it.If you believe in God can you prove that God does exist and if you don't believe in God, can you prove that God doesn't exist? Thanks :)

Maybe move this to religious debates? Just for technicality reasons even though I don't think you wanted to debate.

Last edited:

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Yes, for me an impersonal universal consciousness that is unchanging, unborn and indestructible under whom energy works creating the cosmos, planets, mountains n rivers, life, etc. This energy though is dynamic and changes and evolves with time giving new shapes to the cosmos.
And this universal consciousness lives everywhere within all living beings as the soul or ATMAN.
And with each age, this impersonal consciousness and Energy manifests in material forms as Krishna and his avatars and Durga and her avatars.

And proving that God doesn't exists is like trying to prove that aliens do not live at the center of the earth.
We are all gods. Every single living being in the cosmos.
Abd it can not be felt by the 5 senses. One has to go deep within to look for that source.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I just wondering what do you tihink about it.If you believe in God can you prove that God does exist and if you don't believe in God, can you prove that God does'nt exist? Thanks :)

I believe god is life; and, we are all a part of life (are life). So, proving it exist is like proving that I am typing on this computer right now. It's like DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles in VA) asking me for three or four proof of my name so they can confirm I exist even though they are looking straight at me and listening to my claim. Though they need written proof because they don't believe I know I exist.

That's how I see god/life. I don't know how you can prove an entity exists. I believe in spirits/souls of the deceased because I've seen them and experienced them. God entity, I haven't so I don't know how else you can prove it.

However, if you want to talk about evidence and support our claims, we have to go to religious debates. (My last post in this thread)

arthra

Baha'i

Ran,

Thanks for your post... of course this an inter-faith board and "debate" as such is well not allowed here but I think we are encouraged to compare if you will how we respond to these questions.

I was a history major in my undergraduate days and for me history has a message... so I was impressed with cases where there were unusual cases of influence in what I would term God in history. The Bible and the Qur'an are full of stories about this and I was impressed for instance with the history of how a relative unknown could have such influence in history and have impact on so many lives even to this day.

Take the example of Jesus... Was He born as a powerful ruler or greatly respected scholar or philosopher? No. His origins were humble. Consider the impact on Western civilization.

Gautama the Buddha: While He was born into royalty He renounced it all and consider the impact of His teachings. He influenced the whole of India and China.

An illiterate Muhammad herded sheep and camels and guided caravans... What was His impact on world history?

Cordoba

Yes, I do believe God exists.

In my humble point of view, it is a logical conclusion based on common sense:

All this amazing wonderful universe could not have come into existence with such precision and such unified laws on its own.

It needs a Designer, an intelligent and mighty Eternal Creator to bring it into existence

Peace and wishing you a good day

Meander_Z

I can prove the existence of God with the cunning use of a dictionary. God exists. If we can define it, it has meaning, even if that meaning is abstract, the concept at least exists. The real question therefore becomes, is God purely a human invention, existing only within the individual or collective human mind, or does God have some manifest existence beyond the internal subjective beliefs/imaginings of people? I could take up either side of that debate, but I think the ultimate answer really depends on ones particular definition of God, and I'm implying the need for a definition that goes a bit further than our dear google dictionary is capable of providing. I believe in God as a manifest phenomenon, but I believe that the manifest God is matter, pattern, consciousness, not a human-like authority figure. I believe that all anthropomorphic interpretations of God is dependent upon human minds, and human consciousness, this God form does not predate humanity but rather rises up from humanity, and changes over time to reflect the shifting beliefs of the species. This of course I cannot prove according to any rational material formula, but it's the most elegant solution I've managed to envision so far, and it's led me to some very interesting hypotheses about the nature of reality, so I'll continue to run with it for now.

rusra02

Premium Member
Antony Flew, once an atheist, changed his mind after studying DNA. I think the more we learn about the intelligence displayed in how living creatures are made, the more we realize a supremely intelligent Creator is responsible. Jehovah points to his ability to foretell the future and bring it about as proof of his Godship: "Remember the former things of long ago, That I am God, and there is no other. I am God, and there is no one like me. From the beginning I foretell the outcome, And from long ago the things that have not yet been done. I say, ‘My decision will stand, And I will do whatever I please." (Isaiah 46:9,10) This convinced me Jehovah is the true God.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
welcome aboard.....
don't mind the leaks.....we all have buckets....

and yeah I have a line of thought to offer....it has to do with science....
however
there will not be proof
no photo, no fingerprint, no equation and no repeatable experiment

yeah I know.....doesn't sound scientific

but science would insist
substance at rest will remain at rest....until 'something moves it'

Spirit first

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

Good question!

I'd say it's a matter of probability, most people of faith acknowledge faith, that it can't be proven.

If a gambler plays 5 royal flushes in a row, I can't prove it wasn't luck, but there are obviously far less improbable explanations.

So too with the universe, except 5 royal flushes would be selling it a little short!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
if you find a coin on your table.....someone left it there
if the coin is spinning.....He's close by

a whole lot of spin in this universe

BenTheBeliever

Yes I believe in God. I believe we can try to prove he exist but there will be some people who will never understand or believe he is real no matter how much proof you show them

Meander_Z

Antony Flew, once an atheist, changed his mind after studying DNA. I think the more we learn about the intelligence displayed in how living creatures are made, the more we realize a supremely intelligent Creator is responsible. Jehovah points to his ability to foretell the future and bring it about as proof of his Godship: "Remember the former things of long ago, That I am God, and there is no other. I am God, and there is no one like me. From the beginning I foretell the outcome, And from long ago the things that have not yet been done. I say, ‘My decision will stand, And I will do whatever I please." (Isaiah 46:9,10) This convinced me Jehovah is the true God.

Your statement reminds me of a somewhat recent revelation of mine that what I think of when I use the phrase "intelligent design" may be very different than what other people think of as "intelligent design". I freely use the term intelligent when describing the complex patterning inherent to matter that seems suggestive to me of some form of creative consciousness. I don't necessarily think of this intelligence as having anything in common with cerebral human thought processes.

To clarify my meaning, I give this example... DNA and the female body possess the intelligence necessary to create and nurture a unique human life, this intelligence is embedded in the DNA, embedded in the human body. It doesn't imply that the DNA or the body is thinking; planning a plan and executing that plan in a systematic way.

Give the same task to the most brilliant thinkers on the planet, "Create and nurture a unique human life," then they say, "No problem. Give me some sperm, an egg, and a woman's body." If you tell them you want them to complete this task using only their cerebral intelligence and as much basic carbon as they want, they will be unable to make any headway... the task would take... I don't know... would you give it thousands of years? millions? billions even? About as much time as it takes for these molecules to sort themselves into complex proteins through the intervention of heat and probability?

My point is that an intelligent creator may possess cerebral intelligence, but it is embedded intelligence that best explains reality as we know it. God has to be infinitely smarter than a human. God must be at least as smart as DNA, which has a far greater intelligence than the human it has made. DNA knows how to build human brains. Human brains are only just starting to understand the complexity of DNA in the most simple organisms, ones that don't have brains. An intelligent creator then should not be defined as requiring a human like intelligence... which I suppose brings us full circle around to atheism... except that creation, procreation, evolution, and consciousness all still imply to me an elegance that goes beyond the random and into the profound.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
First I think the really hard question is to define God. Before we can argue for existence we need a definition. Here's Webster's:

Full Definition of god

1. 1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: asa : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe

As an Advaita pantheist I would go with 'No' by that definition; however in colloquial speech I would answer 'Yes' to the question if phrased as Yes/No only question as 'No' gives an even more incorrect impression of my beliefs. English was developed in primarily a monotheistic world and doesn't have commonly used words for all belief types. I believe in 'Brahman' which is not a concept commonly understood in the English speaking world.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
" GOD "
That's who is worshipped by the believers, in Him.
~
" LIFE "
That's the stuff that gives us life, no worship needed !
~
Make your choices, while you still can.
~
'mud