• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God Predetermine When We Will Die?

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Whose understanding of the Abrahamic ' God ' are very meager, etc., and what fear-mongering rituals ?
What did Jesus teach that is fear-mongering ?

1. Death and destruction is evil.
2. There is a definite structure of good and evil.
3. The evil aspects are independent of the supreme controller, ie. God.
4. Love and forgiveness must be given in all circumstances (Jesus)
5. Never speaks if what evil actually is.
6. Can't go further than the bible, Quran, etc.
7. What God actually is.

As a former Christian, I find more sense in a complete analysis of unbiased eastern philosophy.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
No .. actually it is not.

The word might be misleading .. while you cannot change what has been "predetermined", that does not mean that you are unable to make decisions ie. possess a free-will

Why? Almighty God is aware of the future .. in fact He does not exist in the universe as He created it. ie. He is responsible for space & time

Almighty God is not a person in a room with a clock on the wall :)
..so, it basically means God is aware of what we will choose. That does not mean that supplication to Him is futile .. you have no idea what your destiny is, do you? I certainly don't.
Don't forget, God is aware of our supplications before we make them :)
The above is often referred to as "limited free-will" and is not "predestination". See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will_in_theology

muhammad_isa

The above is often referred to as "limited free-will" and is not "predestination". See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will_in_theology
I am aware of the different beliefs of various Christian sects..

Perhaps we could compare it to the word "Christian" .. some people say that you have to believe in the trinity in order to be a Christian.
Clearly, this is not the case .. unless of course one denies Jehovah's witness and Unitarians, for example..
So .. if they are not Christians, what are they?

Same for "predestination" .. just because many Christians might define it literally as "God has planned your life" meaning that we do not actually make decisions (calvinism?), it does not make it so..

Kelly of the Phoenix

The bus driver has free will as do the passengers - time and unforeseen events happen to all of us - Ecclesiastes 9:11 B; Ecclesiastes 7:17
But from God's perspective, He saw it all coming.

Adam, nor the angels, were Never created to be immortal. Adam was offered everlasting life on Earth as long as he did Not break God's Law. Obedient angels everlasting life in heaven.
I'm confused. Sentence 1 contradicts Sentence 2. Plus, Sentence 2 is never noted, IIRC.

That fraction ( 1,000 years ) is all that is necessary to have Earth and its inhabitants come to live life on a beautiful paradisical Earth forever.
Why not one second? Why not a nanosecond? Why not fix the earth the FIRST time? Don't worry. Jesus is new to the forgiveness and mercy game. I'm sure he'll master it eventually....

At the end of that millennium-long day we will have the same one-on-one relationship with God that Adam originally had before he broke God's Law. ( No mediator needed )
If it's possible, it's possible, therefore we don't need one now. There is nothing stopping God from just forgiving the repentant and moving on with His day.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
1. Death and destruction is evil.
2. There is a definite structure of good and evil.
3. The evil aspects are independent of the supreme controller, ie. God.
4. Love and forgiveness must be given in all circumstances (Jesus)
5. Never speaks if what evil actually is.
6. Can't go further than the bible, Quran, etc.
7. What God actually is.
As a former Christian, I find more sense in a complete analysis of unbiased eastern philosophy.

Thank you for your reply.
'Former Christian' takes on different meanings to me.
I was in a so-called Christian denomination, but the more I read in Scripture the more I saw their ' church ' teachings were out of harmony with what the Bible really teaches.

1. death is an enemy to mankind - 1 Corinthians 15:26, however death will come to a final end - Revelation 21:4-5; Isaiah 25:8
But is all destruction evil ? If righteous Noah had Not been spared ( saved/rescued/delivered ) then No one righteous would have been left on Earth.
' Destruction ' is only for the unrepentant wicked - Psalms 92:7. God will only bring to ruin those ruining the Earth - Revelation 11:18 B.
2. Isn't there order ( structure ) in the universe, so why wouldn't good/evil also have structure. Who'd want the conscience of a serial killer ?
3. Is God the supreme controller or the supreme regulator. There is a BIG difference. We are to be regulated by Galatians 5:22-23 so as Not to harm others.
4. Where did Jesus teach forgiveness must be given in all circumstances. What did Jesus say at Matthew 12:32; Mark 3:29; Luke 6:44-45; Luke 12:10
Perhaps your church denomination taught you forgiveness under all situations or circumstances, but Jesus never taught such a thing.
5. starting with Genesis eating from the forbidden tree was sin and the evil was that breaking God's Law would end in ' death '. So, the evil/bad was: death for mankind.
6. Jesus went No further then Scripture as being 'religious truth' - John 17:17. The Bible claims to be God's inspired - 2 Timothy 3:16-17
7. The God of the Bible actually is: Creator, Heavenly Father (Life Giver) and LORD - Revelation 4:11

I am Not trying to say that you don't find more sense in eastern philosophy, but I am thinking what you have been taught about the Bible is Not really found in the Bible.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
But from God's perspective, He saw it all coming.
Why not one second? Why not a nanosecond? Why not fix the earth the FIRST time? Don't worry. Jesus is new to the forgiveness and mercy game. I'm sure he'll master it eventually....
If it's possible, it's possible, therefore we don't need one now. There is nothing stopping God from just forgiving the repentant and moving on with His day.

Yes there is something stoppping God, please remember God rested on the 7th day. God does Not interfere with our free-will choices.
Fixing the Earth the first time would Not have settled the issue who can rule better: God or man ?
If the days were cut short we would Not have the opportunity to be born and think who we would like as Sovereign over us.
The passing of time has allowed for our birth and the opportunity to gain ' everlasting life ' starting with Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth.
If we had never been born we would never have the opportunity for everlasting life - Acts of the Apostles 24:15
And for those of us still alive on Earth at the soon coming ' time of separation' on Earth - Matthew 25:31-33 - that means we can remain alive on Earth, and continue to live on Earth right into the start of Jesus' millennium-long day of governing over Earth when there will be healing for earth's nations- Revelation 22:2

Subhankar Zac

Thank you for your reply.
'Former Christian' takes on different meanings to me.
I was in a so-called Christian denomination, but the more I read in Scripture the more I saw their ' church ' teachings were out of harmony with what the Bible really teaches.

1. death is an enemy to mankind - 1 Corinthians 15:26, however death will come to a final end - Revelation 21:4-5; Isaiah 25:8
But is all destruction evil ? If righteous Noah had Not been spared ( saved/rescued/delivered ) then No one righteous would have been left on Earth.
' Destruction ' is only for the unrepentant wicked - Psalms 92:7. God will only bring to ruin those ruining the Earth - Revelation 11:18 B.
2. Isn't there order ( structure ) in the universe, so why wouldn't good/evil also have structure. Who'd want the conscience of a serial killer ?
3. Is God the supreme controller or the supreme regulator. There is a BIG difference. We are to be regulated by Galatians 5:22-23 so as Not to harm others.
4. Where did Jesus teach forgiveness must be given in all circumstances. What did Jesus say at Matthew 12:32; Mark 3:29; Luke 6:44-45; Luke 12:10
Perhaps your church denomination taught you forgiveness under all situations or circumstances, but Jesus never taught such a thing.
5. starting with Genesis eating from the forbidden tree was sin and the evil was that breaking God's Law would end in ' death '. So, the evil/bad was: death for mankind.
6. Jesus went No further then Scripture as being 'religious truth' - John 17:17. The Bible claims to be God's inspired - 2 Timothy 3:16-17
7. The God of the Bible actually is: Creator, Heavenly Father (Life Giver) and LORD - Revelation 4:11

I am Not trying to say that you don't find more sense in eastern philosophy, but I am thinking what you have been taught about the Bible is Not really found in the Bible.

The bible came to life around 33 AD.
Mahabharata came to life around 5000 years ago.
I think I'll stick to my faith but also good things do exists in both.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Yes there is something stoppping God, please remember God rested on the 7th day. God does Not interfere with our free-will choices.
He literally does it all the time. He only talks about free will when we do something He doesn't like. "If you're good, I made you that way. If you're bad ... it's your fault."

Fixing the Earth the first time would Not have settled the issue who can rule better: God or man ?
Yes it would have ... in God's favor, might I add.

If the days were cut short we would Not have the opportunity to be born and think who we would like as Sovereign over us.
Fruit flies live for, like, 24 hours or something AND THEY MANAGE TO LIVE A FULL LIFE (for them). Remember that it was after the flood God supposedly cut our hours, so to speak, to living just 120 years (even though He apparently forgets and some people live longer than that). Per your logic, He should not have artificially reduced our max lifespans, because apparently we need over 100 years to be born and decide on a Sovereign.

The passing of time has allowed for our birth and the opportunity to gain ' everlasting life ' starting with Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth.
Will there be absolutely no fetuses when Jesus shows back up? We'll all be of consenting legal age?

If we had never been born we would never have the opportunity for everlasting life - Acts of the Apostles 24:15
God made Adam out of dirt. Adam was not born. He had the opportunity for everlasting life at one point. So ... no ...

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The bible came to life around 33 AD.
Mahabharata came to life around 5000 years ago.
I think I'll stick to my faith but also good things do exists in both.

Just a side note: According to Scripture the writing of the Bible came to life when Moses started writing the Constitution of the Mosaic Law for ancient Israel. ( Long before 33 CE/AD )
Moses could have easily gotten information from Noah bringing writings through the Flood for the start of the old Hebrew Scripture writings.
Genesis 5 speaks of the ' book of generations ' from Adam. Note there is also mention of writings (scrolls) about generations at Genesis 2:4

Subhankar Zac

Just a side note: According to Scripture the writing of the Bible came to life when Moses started writing the Constitution of the Mosaic Law for ancient Israel. ( Long before 33 CE/AD )
Moses could have easily gotten information from Noah bringing writings through the Flood for the start of the old Hebrew Scripture writings.
Genesis 5 speaks of the ' book of generations ' from Adam. Note there is also mention of writings (scrolls) about generations at Genesis 2:4

And according to scriptures Ramayana occured over 864,000 years ago and Parasurama came a million years before that and 2 million years before that came Vamana and 4 million before that, Lord Narsimha.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
And according to scriptures Ramayana occured over 864,000 years ago and Parasurama came a million years before that and 2 million years before that came Vamana and 4 million before that, Lord Narsimha.

Did you forget to post where those scriptures are located ?