• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God play favorites?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Does God play favorites? When you consider the Hebrew faith, it seems that the Hebrew people were favored by the creator God.

When I was a Christian, I felt that God favored me. My life would be filled with coincidences that would teach me things. Was I lucky or was I favored? I chose to believe I was favored.

My life is still filled with coincidences, and I can’t help but wonder if there is a higher power trying to tell me something.

If God is real, well, obviously He favors some, right? Some people are in war torn environments, while I am sitting on a comfy couch in America. Does suffering in the world show that God indeed does have favorites?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
People favor people, God does not. Some people are inclined to favor Jesus, Moses, Abraham, Muhammad or anyone in-between. People don't join religion because of God, they join a religion for the support of their religious communities. God is there to just be the example people strive for. For some people, God is represented in a person, but it is not God that judges those people but those people who favor that person or people instead.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Does God play favorites? When you consider the Hebrew faith, it seems that the Hebrew people were favored by the creator God.

When I was a Christian, I felt that God favored me. My life would be filled with coincidences that would teach me things. Was I lucky or was I favored? I chose to believe I was favored.

My life is still filled with coincidences, and I can’t help but wonder if there is a higher power trying to tell me something.

If God is real, well, obviously He favors some, right? Some people are in war torn environments, while I am sitting on a comfy couch in America. Does suffering in the world show that God indeed does have favorites?
Regardless of the reason why, when you believe the universe, fate, or God is working with you, and you continue to hold onto that faith in all circumstances, then it is apparently true.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

No, I don't believe He plays favorites.

Jesus suffered and died... was He favored? Within the parameters of His declared will, He has no favorites. The tipping point is mankind IMV.

Acts 10:34-36 Peter fairly exploded with his good news: “It’s God’s own truth, nothing could be plainer: God plays no favorites! It makes no difference who you are or where you’re from—if you want God and are ready to do as he says, the door is open. The Message he sent to the children of Israel—that through Jesus Christ everything is being put together again—well, he’s doing it everywhere, among everyone.

Romans 2:11 For there is no partiality with God.

Gal 2:6 But from those who were of considerable repute (what they were makes no difference to me; God shows no favoritism)—well, those who were of repute contributed nothing to me.

Debt 1O:17 For the Lord your God is the God of gods and the Lord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God, who does not show partiality, nor take a bribe.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

If you think of God as a "person", that can tend to lead to that conclusion. For an analogy, think of the sun. The sun shines on one and all equally. Sometimes clouds cover the sun but the sun still shines. This analogy can be taken too far, but I think it's helpful.

That's a different matter. What does your heart tell you?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I believe that the favored ones of God are those people who recognize the Messenger of God in the age in which He appears. As such, the Jews were the favored ones because they recognized Moses in His Day and the Christians were the favored ones because they recognized Jesus in His Day. I believe that the Baha'is are now the favored ones since they have recognized Baha'u'llah in His Day.

“Blessed art thou, O My name, inasmuch as thou hast entered Mine Ark, and art speeding, through the power of My sovereign and most exalted might, on the ocean of grandeur, and art numbered with My favored ones whose names the Finger of God hath inscribed. Thou hast quaffed the cup which is life indeed from the hands of this Youth, around Whom revolve the Manifestations of the All-Glorious, and the brightness of Whose presence they Who are the Day Springs of Mercy extol in the day time and in the night season.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 302

Heyo

Veteran Member
Does God play favorites?
The idea that it could be so has given us supremacists and dominionists. And yes, the Bible says that YHVH favours the Israelites. Jesus favoured them also initially but later changed his mind.
This kind of favouritism is one of the most immoral ideas perpetuated by Judaism and Christianity. It was used to justify monarchy and slavery and every instance when groups where excluded.

Does God play favorites? When you consider the Hebrew faith, it seems that the Hebrew people were favored by the creator God....

I don't think so. Anyone can become righteous and get all the benefits God gives. If person doesn't want to be righteous and doesn't want to be on God's side, it is his choice, and I don't think God should be blamed for that.