• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God need gender?

Tumah

Veteran Member
My point was that that is the reason people think God as a male.
Oh. I thought you were arguing that G-d is male because of the masculine grammatical constructs attributed to Him. My argument was that Jews don't think G-d is male. Since you quoted me, I thought you were arguing with me.

Jedster

Oh. I thought you were arguing that G-d is male because of the masculine grammatical constructs attributed to Him. My argument was that Jews don't think G-d is male. Since you quoted me, I thought you were arguing with me.
LOL...I just went through a similar misunderstanding with a Muslim. He thought I was arguing, when I wasn't.

Skwim

Veteran Member
In the Bible god is invariably referred to as "he," "him," and "his," all masculine pronouns. Then we have the labels "god the father," and "god the son." More masculine designations. No inkling whatsoever that god may be female or even genderless, and a whole lot of indications that he is a male.

810ca239263dbfe3ff8182494cd8c986.jpg

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
In the Bible god is invariably referred to as "he," "him," and "his," all masculine pronouns. Then we have the labels "god the father," and "god the son." More masculine designations. No inkling whatsoever that god may be female or even genderless, and a whole lot of indications that he is a male.

God is also personified throughout the wisdom literature as Lady Wisdom, invariably with female pronouns and metaphors.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No, God does not have a gender. I'm unsure if our souls/Spirits do.
Well I was never confused on the issue.. considering A female father is farfetched. .

And freaky..
That's rather offensive to trans people, the intersex and single parents, among others.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

LOL, that image is so funny and cute.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Eve was made from Adams rib. So, technically, she is not 'different from Adam , but merely a version of ''humanity''. God is male, but there is no reason for people to get all upset, because Eve was made from a male, hence female is not 'essentially' different from the first human creation.

Oldsoul

No, God does not have a gender. I'm unsure if our souls/Spirits do.

That's rather offensive to trans people, the intersex and single parents, among others.
Ahh.. no..
You are amplifying my comment to be considered as discriminatory. .

You saw a set of conflicting gender ferrerences and automatically labelled them Transphobic..

Skwim

Veteran Member
Eve was made from Adams rib. So, technically, she is not 'different from Adam , but merely a version of ''humanity''. God is male, but there is no reason for people to get all upset, because Eve was made from a male, hence female is not 'essentially' different from the first human creation.
Maybe I've been out of the loop, but I haven't seen anyone getting upset about the character of Eve.

Tumah

Veteran Member

I can't speak for the Christian NT. But in the Hebrew there are no gender-neutral nouns, pronouns, or adjectives. In general, a mixed group of masculine and feminine nouns, will still be referred to collectively using masculine grammatical constructs. So, its a bit harder to say that G-d is meant to be understood as being male, rather than that masculine pronouns were used in describing Him, because you have to choose one, and masculine is the default. Actually, the name YHWH using the most commonly ascribed vowel points, is a feminine name (it ends with a kamatz-heh)

Skwim

Veteran Member
I can't speak for the Christian NT. But in the Hebrew there are no gender-neutral nouns, pronouns, or adjectives. In general, a mixed group of masculine and feminine nouns, will still be referred to collectively using masculine grammatical constructs. So, its a bit harder to say that G-d is meant to be understood as being male, rather than that masculine pronouns were used in describing Him, because you have to choose one, and masculine is the default. Actually, the name YHWH using the most commonly ascribed vowel points, is a feminine name (it ends with a kamatz-heh)
Very interesting. Thank you.

Brian Schuh

There is a verse in Isaiah where he refers to God as a Mother. And Jesus quoted the Tanakh when he referred to himself as a mother hen who wanted to gather the children of Israel under her wings, but you were not willing.

Rabbi Harold Kushner in one of his books mentioned an ancient pagan myth about an ancient group of people who were hermaphadites. A hermaphadite is a person fully equipped with both male and female body parts. Then Kushner points out that Eve was not taken from a rib, that the Hebrew word really means side. So Adam before he was split up into a male person and a female person, was closer to a hermaphadite, and he was created in the image of God. One of my friends asked me, "Are you saying God is a hermaphadite?" I'm like yeah. God is fully male and also fully female. And so was Adam, until God separated the male and female aspects of Adam into two persons. And then he married them, saying the two could not be complete without the other.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Does God "need" a gender (in order to be God)? No. Does He have one? I believe He does. I believe our "Father" in Heaven is a male, as all fathers are.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Gender is for beings that are not god and have no other means of creation. A creator of a universe shouldn't need a gender to do so.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
The traditional Abrahamic god is regarded as male though many Christian theologians seem to regard Him as both and neither. Many Pagans believe in a male God and female Goddess as a great cosmic duality (however the role of the God has diminished over time).

My question is does the concept of a genderless god exist in any tradition? And if it did, would our language need to impose gender on it, since in English personhood is always gendered?

Yes.

As a deist, I do not apply human traits to God. Although habit may have me refer to God as He, I also refer to God as It, because I view God as genderless.