• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God need excuses?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I have been told by certain atheists that God needs excuses. Assuming that God exists, would God need excuses for what theists say that God does or doesn’t do?

Please select A or B and explain why you think that God would need excuses or not need any excuses.

A. God needs excuses for what theists say that God does or doesn’t do.

B. God does not need any excuses for what theists say that God does or doesn’t do.

Thanks, Trailblazer. :)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
However, if a theist says things about their God, which granted, may look good to them, but not to the other person.... then yeah, they might need some excuses for their God if they wish to convince the other person?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I have been told by certain atheists that God needs excuses. Assuming that God exists, would God need excuses for what theists say that God does or doesn’t do?

Please select A or B and explain why you think that God would need excuses or not need any excuses.

B. God does not need any excuses for what theists say that God does or doesn’t do.

B.
He's the supreme being. How can there be any higher authority with knowledge of what he should or shouldn't do?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Can you explain why God needs excuses if He really did cause plagues?

Because God lost his temper, showing He isn't perfect. And He chose a small group of followers and exacted revenge on many that weren't them, showing that He's partial. And with all the resources at his disposal, He could have chose a better way to get Egypt not to treat the people as slaves, like sending a manifestation.

What it comes down to, is that I see there as being a PR problem, which isn't good for convincing others of different understandings of God's greatness.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
To clarify, what some atheists say is that I am making excuses for God, but is that not the same thing as them saying that God needs excuses?
Wait...
So what you said was said is not what was actually said?
And then you attempt to excuse what you said was said not being what was said by claiming what was said is the same as what you said was said?

I mean if I am making excuses for God, then God must need ti be excused for something, right?
Yes.
But then, it is on you as for the why you feel god needs excuses.
Not on the one pointing out you are making excuses.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Because God lost his temper, showing He isn't perfect. And He chose a small group of followers and exacted revenge on many that weren't them, showing that He's partial. And with all the resources at his disposal, He could have chose a better way to get Egypt not to treat the people as slaves, like sending a manifestation.

What it comes down to, is that I see there as being a PR problem, which isn't good for convincing others of different understandings of God's greatness.
I figured we'd get to this.:rolleyes:
I do not believe all the anthropomorphisms that are attributed to God in the Bible but those have been a primary source of non-belief and I can understand why, if people actually believe them.
When you turn God into a man God is not God anymore.

God did choose the best way to get Egypt not to treat the people as slaves, He sent Moses!

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Yes he does, and many of them, because we are in a world not meant to be, it's been error handling after error handling, and if people follow the Messengers, everything would be fine. No diseases, no sicknesses, no earthquakes, nothing, everything would be fine.

When the world comes to the final king on earth, the Mahdi, it will know all this suffering was always avoidable.

For example, miracles, they are meant to be in the open and at the hand of the guiding king of our time, in public.

But it's not, and so needs elaborate excuses. And history needs to be studied to show why miracles are not in public right now and Quranic explanation as well in my view.

Jeremiah Ames

B.

Because the Divine Design operates through Divine Providence automatically.

kind of like gravity does not need an excuse to operate

imo

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Assuming a god exists i would really love to hear his excuses for genocide, child murder, childhood leukemia, etc. So i choose C, a god would need excuses for what said god had done.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes he does, and many of them, because we are in a world not meant to be, it's been error handling after error handling, and if people follow the Messengers, everything would be fine. No diseases, no sicknesses, no earthquakes, nothing, everything would be fine.
So how is it God's fault of people do not follow the Messengers?
When the world comes to the final king on earth, the Mahdi, it will know all this suffering was always avoidable.
I believe that the Mahdi has already come, but that is not what this thread is about. The suffering will never end unless people recognize and follow the latest Messenger who God has sent, and it is not God's fault if people choose to reject Him.

It was not avoidable because God cannot send Messengers until the time is right, and only God knows when that time is because only God is all-knowing.
For example, miracles, they are meant to be in the open and at the hand of the guiding king of our time, in public.

But it's not, and so needs elaborate excuses. And history needs to be studied to show why miracles are not in public right now and Quranic explanation as well in my view.
So you believe that Messengers should perform miracles in public so people will believe in them? Even if thye did that, how many people would that convince? It would only convince the people who witnessed the miracles.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Assuming a god exists i would really love to hear his excuses for genocide, child murder, childhood leukemia, etc. So i choose C, a god would need excuses for what said god had done.
Can you explain why God would need excuses for those things?
If God did not do them why would God need to be excused for them?