• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God have a creator?

no-body

Apparently you can believe that God is eternal and always here but bring up why the universe can't and... hey look over there a puppy!

Civil Shephard

The Universe created god.

In my mind I've felt an answer to this question early on.

"for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls...."
- Jesus Christ, Matthew 11:28b

Since in my view the God Jesus and Moses describe has shown a very humble and decidedly varied personality in the many documents that make up the Holy Bible I have decided to accept that the revelations of each bible book writer has greater and lesser degrees of relation and understanding of the nature of the Creator of this Universe.

Run on sentences aside... my personal theory and not revelation is that God was not created but rather is original the realization of being. I believe that

I AM

is the name our Creator gave Moses because that best describes that original realization of being. However I think it a bit absurd that I find myself believing my own theory.

In my theory before the universe there was a void of nothingness... I used to think of this void of nothingness as infinite and eternal but since it is quite literally nothing then there is no point of reference for time or space. Neither is it dark and cold since light and heat are not ... well you get the picture.

So... the void of nothingness shook with the realization of being and said simply "I AM". From there points became lines became plains became became circles became spheres of thought and a dance of awareness and eons of pure basic thoughts of being slowly formed the most basic of being into an infinite and eternal universe that has vowed never to return to the void of nothingness.

Fariy Tales and Science Fictions and a young atheist turns toward God looking for the answers... Who am I?

I AM... that um... I AM.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Sapient entities create "gods", in my opinion.

The Supreme, though? I don't think the Supreme has any creator. However, I don't believe the Supreme is any kind of humanoid entity like the one described in some religious texts, nor do I believe it is influenced by time, space, or properties.

If the Supreme had a creator, who created that? And that? And that. Ad nauseam. Perhaps the Supreme was created by another supreme from another universe that this one originated from, perhaps not. Perhaps the Supreme does not exist, perhaps it does. Who can really say?

I can't make any definite statements or anything, just offer a quick opinion.

Sapient entities create "gods", in my opinion.

The Supreme, though? I don't think the Supreme has any creator. However, I don't believe the Supreme is any kind of humanoid entity like the one described in some religious texts, nor do I believe it is influenced by time, space, or properties.

If the Supreme had a creator, who created that? And that? And that. Ad nauseam. Perhaps the Supreme was created by another supreme from another universe that this one originated from, perhaps not. Perhaps the Supreme does not exist, perhaps it does. Who can really say?

I can't make any definite statements or anything, just offer a quick opinion.

Who can really say? The Holy Bible which IS the Word of God says it all. The God of the Holy Bible never reveals Himself to those who want to find fault with Him. Why should He? Nobody will reveal where he/she hides his/her gold to a person who is known to be a thief. But he/she will reveal the hiding place to a trusted friend!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
nonbeliever_92 said:
Does God have a creator?
I have no problem with you not believing in invisible things, nonbeliever_92. I think the secret of understanding why we seem to exist lies in the nature of numbers, and the origin of God has to do with that as well. In our lives we observe causation. Things are caused by other things, and things have a beginning. Naturally we wonder how the beginning could have a beginning, and we wonder what causes the causes? I think modern Physics and Math and a little guesswork proposes a possible solution.

A study of Physics and Astronomy in particular reveals (I am told) that Time is really just a perception of ours. For me that indicates every thing we know is not truly changing and is actually static, just like the number line. If you look at the number line, its numbers appear to change as your eyes travel along it, yet it is nothing but one added to one continuously. Like us, it is not truly moving, and the only thing unique about any number is its distance from an origin. Despite this the number line contains infinite variation, not in activity but in the relationships that it can represent. These relationships cannot change but can represent infinite varieties that we perceive as change and infinitely complex structures as well. As an example I direct you to fractal geometry.

We are like that number line, static, so perhaps every thing we think of as activity really is not. Perhaps what we consider existence is not but is really a huge fractal representation of the number set, displayed by no one but simply part of number itself? If that is so our awareness of ourselves at this time, this moment, exists eternally as part of the number set completely uncreated. So then our lives and deaths are eternal unchangeable figurines in numerical permanency in the set of all numbers that can be added. This is a bit like Platonism but rather than requiring an ideal version for everything, it posits that we are what we are without any ghosts. It makes no assumptions about afterlives but supposes that nothing in our past can be changed.

So, how would this relate to 'God'? God, if a being, would also be part of the eternal number set, an unchanging thing that existed as a more complex but similar thing to living creatures, much as trees are to sticks and as branches are to stems. Therefore God would have no beginning, nor us except in our own perception.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Who can really say? The Holy Bible which IS the Word of God says it all. The God of the Holy Bible never reveals Himself to those who want to find fault with Him. Why should He? Nobody will reveal where he/she hides his/her gold to a person who is known to be a thief. But he/she will reveal the hiding place to a trusted friend!
The Bible comes from people. Nothing is hidden regarding that. It's obvious.

amorphous_constellation

I think maybe God was the first being the universe created after the big bang, the universe having a will to create a controller for itself, but perhaps he denies that he had a cause, and for all his power is just as perplexed by the situation as the rest of us.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You mean like his drift to materialism? None of his philosophy does a whole lot for me, and I'm not much on pure materialism anyhow....
Thought this would likely be the case, so thanks for clarifying. Now, again just for curiosity's sake and for clarification, do you call pantheism or panentheism "materialism"?

roger1440

I do stuff
Where does God come from?
The way you ask the question is a sort of circular reasoning or circular logic. The answer must point back to the question, otherwise it’s impossible to answer. Unless the answerer agrees that God came from somewhere, then the question cannot be answered. Example: If I would ask someone, “How stupid are you?” the answerer must admit he or she is stupid or the question cannot be answered.