• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God get bored or lonely?

Tumah

Veteran Member
If God has no emotions, no desires, then It is no different than a computer.

A computer is not self aware, intelligent or have its own will.

Your words not mine. Our being created in God's image is not referring to a physical anthropomorphic image, but a fully self-aware spiritual image.
Your words, not mine. The image of G-d that we are created in, is not physical, nor is it any more self aware than a glove.

Repox

Truth Seeker
Think about it. God exists "in the beginning" all by Itself. What does God do to relieve the boredom, create a universe? It's pretty and all but it isn't engaging and God has no one to share it with. So (and all that follows happens in the blink of an eye) God considers creating angels, but knows instantly that they'd be nothing but divine sock-puppets, which would be extensions of It's own intellect, even if there were trillions of them. God could make Itself into a He and create a goddess for a spouse, or vice vesa, or both, or alternate. But that would be nothing more than a glorified sock puppet. God could bestow his goddess with free will, but that means she could lie to him if she chose and he'd never be the wiser if she was any good at it--which, being a goddess, she would be.

So, what could God do, what COULD GOD DO? How could God create creatures with free will to do as they please as if God didn't exist--a way of pre-testing companions in order to weed out evil or mindless yes-men, so that God could then experience delight, sorrow, euphoria and all the passions possible with existence?

Well? Either God couldn't figure it out, or It did. Assuming the latter (I mean here we are), what could God do?[/QUOTE).

Much has been assumed about God and the universe. What I know is God didn't create the universe to relieve boredom. Everything was going well in heaven until one angel, Satan, pretending to be God, attacked the other angels. After Satan's continuing attacks, God was fed up and decided to eliminate him (it) from heaven. God created the universe as a prison for Satan. I know most people think God created the universe for humans, but he created it as a prison for Satan. For whatever reason, God created paradise on earth about 65 million years ago during the dinosaur era. God and his angels were in the world enjoying all the creatures, the whole earth was paradise. Like heaven, God made paradise eternal. Every living thing on earth became immortal as they enjoyed God's presence on earth. Then, Satan came in from the abyss (universe) and attacked God and the other angels. Subsequently, paradise fell, the whole world became subject to laws of evolution. Thereafter, humans evolved to dominate earth with their "civilizations." When humans took over earth with advanced cultures God decided to intervene. Unfortunately for humankind, God's plan for a holy order on earth didn't work out. His chosen people didn't obey His commandments. Now, we live in the aftermath of a failed holy order plan.

God doesn't require the universe for diversion or entertainment. The universe is a dark dangerous place suitable to be Satan's prison. God requires no material diversion or activity to keep him occupied and content. God is happy with His angels in a nonmaterial supernatural world with glittering sparks of holy light surrounded by beautify angels.

A Vestigial Mote

In any case, it was for his benefit rather than that of any of his creations.

I feel this would have to be true. Case in point: we don't get to "choose" to be born and live as humans.

If God did it all "for us", then, before we're born, we'd have to be sitting somewhere hoping that God "helps us out" with the task of being born as a human being - and His actions would be Him obliging us. Also, we'd have to assume it is beneficial for us to be here on Earth, rather than wherever He was keeping us before that.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
A computer is not self aware, intelligent or have its own will.

Your words, not mine. The image of G-d that we are created in, is not physical, nor is it any more self aware than a glove.

Much has been assumed about God and the universe. What I know is God didn't create the universe to relieve boredom.

God told you that Hissef didde.

Everything was going well in heaven until one angel, Satan, pretending to be God, attacked the other angels.

There you go with the sock puppets again. You saying God made a mistake not seeing Satan would do evil crap, or that It new and did it anyway?

After Satan's continuing attacks, God was fed up and decided to eliminate him (it) from heaven.

I don't believe the war in heaven is over yet, according to Revelation.

God created the universe as a prison for Satan. I know most people think God created the universe for humans, but he created it as a prison for Satan. For whatever reason, God created paradise on earth about 65 million years ago during the dinosaur era. God and his angels were in the world enjoying all the creatures, the whole earth was paradise. Like heaven, God made paradise eternal. Every living thing on earth became immortal as they enjoyed God's presence on earth. Then, Satan came in from the abyss (universe) and attacked God and the other angels. Subsequently, paradise fell, the whole world became subject to laws of evolution. Thereafter, humans evolved to dominate earth with their "civilizations." When humans took over earth with advanced cultures God decided to intervene. Unfortunately for humankind, God's plan for a holy order on earth didn't work out. His chosen people didn't obey His commandments. Now, we live in the aftermath of a failed holy order plan.

I think you've gone completely off script. That's the problem with divine revelations, people can make up whatever they want and call it scripture or God's Word.

God doesn't require the universe for diversion or entertainment. The universe is a dark dangerous place suitable to be Satan's prison. God requires no material diversion or activity to keep him occupied and content. God is happy with His angels in a nonmaterial supernatural world with glittering sparks of holy light surrounded by beautify angels.

Sounds perfectly phony and dull, sitting around in all the sparkly, talking to the sock puppets God's got It's hands up the butts of.

Perhaps a god is bored and is day dreaming about what a universe like ours would be like if he created one, but from our perspective in the day dream "we" think its real.

You're side-stepping the issue. I'm perfectly willing to stipulate that the difference God making it or God thinking about making it would be of no consequence. But that doesn't affect how seriously we take our lives or the choices we make. Either way we still don't even know if God exists.

Repox

Truth Seeker

God told you that Hissef didde.

There you go with the sock puppets again. You saying God made a mistake not seeing Satan would do evil crap, or that It new and did it anyway?

I don't believe the war in heaven is over yet, according to Revelation.

I think you've gone completely off script. That's the problem with divine revelations, people can make up whatever they want and call it scripture or God's Word.

Sounds perfectly phony and dull, sitting around in all the sparkly, talking to the sock puppets God's got It's hands up the butts of.

You're side-stepping the issue. I'm perfectly willing to stipulate that the difference God making it or God thinking about making it would be of no consequence. But that doesn't affect how seriously we take our lives or the choices we make. Either way we still don't even know if God exists.
Okay, then. You tell me how you know what God does and does not do, and why God would be bored? Why would you propose such a thing when you know very little about God?

Hammer

Think about it. God exists "in the beginning" all by Itself. What does God do to relieve the boredom, create a universe? It's pretty and all but it isn't engaging and God has no one to share it with. So (and all that follows happens in the blink of an eye) God considers creating angels, but knows instantly that they'd be nothing but divine sock-puppets, which would be extensions of It's own intellect, even if there were trillions of them. God could make Itself into a He and create a goddess for a spouse, or vice vesa, or both, or alternate. But that would be nothing more than a glorified sock puppet. God could bestow his goddess with free will, but that means she could lie to him if she chose and he'd never be the wiser if she was any good at it--which, being a goddess, she would be.

So, what could God do, what COULD GOD DO? How could God create creatures with free will to do as they please as if God didn't exist--a way of pre-testing companions in order to weed out evil or mindless yes-men, so that God could then experience delight, sorrow, euphoria and all the passions possible with existence?

Well? Either God couldn't figure it out, or It did. Assuming the latter (I mean here we are), what could God do?

Hammer

GOD does not get bored because boredom is a negative imperfect feeling and is only experienced in sinful fallen human beings. He is perfectly and sinless and therefore had and has it all figured out.

Milton Platt

Well? Either God couldn't figure it out, or It did. Assuming the latter (I mean here we are), what could God do?

It all depends upon which god you are conjuring up and then which version of that god.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Okay, then. You tell me how you know what God does and does not do, and why God would be bored? Why would you propose such a thing when you know very little about God?

What I'm putting forth is based on 2 assumptions: that God exists, and that we exist in God's (self-aware) image--though God is Truth while we will lie. This is a test, with all self-aware humans inherently having the ability to know good from evil. Since God supposedly created us, we can by extension presume to know why God created us. To stroke God's vanity is an absurd conclusion, vanity being a self-deception.

GOD does not get bored because boredom is a negative imperfect feeling and is only experienced in sinful fallen human beings. He is perfectly and sinless and therefore had and has it all figured out.

It's more like God knew It would get bored if It didn't take preemptive action, which It did, and thus did not actually get bored. Voila, you're right.

It all depends upon which god you are conjuring up and then which version of that god.

Your question is bypassed when we say Truth is God, so God is whatever that Truth is. God being apparently hidden, if It exists, it's our compulsion to study and pursue the Truth, wherever that takes us. We cannot presume to know where that Truth will take us before we get there.

I've never met this god, its never shown itself or talked to me. Defeats the purpose of creating us for engaging company don't you think? Also, most of the god concepts I'm familiar with generally involve them bossing us around and expecting us to be obedient or else, like they are more interested in being sucked up to then anything else.

Repox

Truth Seeker
What I'm putting forth is based on 2 assumptions: that God exists, and that we exist in God's (self-aware) image--though God is Truth while we will lie. This is a test, with all self-aware humans inherently having the ability to know good from evil. Since God supposedly created us, we can by extension presume to know why God created us. To stroke God's vanity is an absurd conclusion, vanity being a self-deception.

It's more like God knew It would get bored if It didn't take preemptive action, which It did, and thus did not actually get bored. Voila, you're right.

Your question is bypassed when we say Truth is God, so God is whatever that Truth is. God being apparently hidden, if It exists, it's our compulsion to study and pursue the Truth, wherever that takes us. We cannot presume to know where that Truth will take us before we get there.
Your only have ideas about God, mostly theory. What does God look like? If you are knowledgeable about God, you should know.

Last edited:

Daisies4me

(quote)

Septuagint Bible w/ Apocrypha

Numbers 23:19 (LXX) God is not as man to waver, nor as the son of man to be threatened; shall he say and not perform? shall he speak and not keep ?

Milton Platt

Truth is truth.......redefining the word truth gets you nowhere. If that is the entire sum of what your god is, then he is nothing more than a concept.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
I've never met this god, its never shown itself or talked to me. Defeats the purpose of creating us for engaging company don't you think? Also, most of the god concepts I'm familiar with generally involve them bossing us around and expecting us to be obedient or else, like they are more interested in being sucked up to then anything else.

Most of the god concepts eh. Is this a decision by committee? As Gandhi said, Truth is a majority of One.

Your only have ideas about God, mostly theory. What does God look like? If you are knowledgeable about God, you should know.

God's appearance is at the bottom of the list of God's important aspects. How well God, if It exists, fits with Truth is critical.

Truth is truth.......redefining the word truth gets you nowhere. If that is the entire sum of what your god is, then he is nothing more than a concept.

That's essentially my point. We as a species haven't sat down and determined how to study Truth. Clerics and politicians are too busy obscuring it, and too many of their useful idiots keep supporting them.

Milton Platt

Most of the god concepts eh. Is this a decision by committee? As Gandhi said, Truth is a majority of One.

God's appearance is at the bottom of the list of God's important aspects. How well God, if It exists, fits with Truth is critical.

That's essentially my point. We as a species haven't sat down and determined how to study Truth. Clerics and politicians are too busy obscuring it, and too many of their useful idiots keep supporting them.
We have a demonstrably good process for finding what is true. It is called the scientific method. It is reliable and time tested. Is it absolutely perfect? No....but it beats guessing or faith or making things up by a country mile.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
We have a demonstrably good process for finding what is true. It is called the scientific method. It is reliable and time tested. Is it absolutely perfect? No....but it beats guessing or faith or making things up by a country mile.

There is much more to Truth and how we pursue it than science uncovering objective knowledge. Global warming has taught us better than any other area, that scientists and academic institutions aren't above corruption.