• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God forgive soldiers?

waitasec

Veteran Member
I bet that mice would completely disagree with you.

i think mice are not aware of intent...
sort of how normal humans accept the indifference of an earthquake...

survival is a part of nature for them...
what do you think?

or have i derailed...:eek:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I'm Sikh, not Christian--I was playing devils advocate from the christian bibles point of view. Not all concepts of God are in the Christian ideal, broaden your search.
Honestly, it does not matter in the least little bit what religious group makes such claims about their deity.
I have absolutely no use for any hypocrite deity.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Circle of life. At least the cats don't kill out of ego and sadistic evil habits.
Spoken like someone who has never seen how a cat "plays" with the mouse for hours before the mouse actually dies.

However, since you are apparently going to ignore the fact that good and evil are nothing more than personal subjective preferences, I doubt our conversation will be very productive.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
i think mice are not aware of intent...
sort of how normal humans accept the indifference of an earthquake...

survival is a part of nature for them...
what do you think?

or have i derailed...:eek:
The point is that the terms 'good' and 'evil' are pretty much worthless outside of the choir.

Which basically means that any "argument" based upon "good" or "evil" intentions is completely worthless outside said choir.
Then when you add "sanctioned by god" to the mix, you have pretty much turned the conversation into nothing more than a "my god has a bigger penis than your god" argument.

Last edited by a moderator:

waitasec

Veteran Member
The point is that the terms 'good' and 'evil' are pretty much worthless outside of the choir.

Which basically means that any "argument" based upon "good" or "evil" intentions is completely worthless outside said choir.
Then when you add "sanctioned by god" to the mix, you have pretty much turned the conversation into nothing more than a "my god has a bigger penis than your god" argument.

i fully agree with that...
however i would add that when you mix in ones "perfect interpretation" of the same god (the big 3 for example)that is when one shows off the size of their penis ultimately...

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
His actions? He didnt do anything. Hitler was just a guy who talked a lot. Last I checked, we have freedom of speech.

Anyways, if you claim he killed 6 million people, please provide the evidence for this extraordinary claim!

hitler was giving the orders, that makes him the instigator of all the crimes his soldiers committed

they are all guilty, hilter for directing the killing and the soldiers for committing the killing

averageJOE

zombie
I agree -- and I'm a left-leaning, Kum-by-ya, vegan pacifist. I have no problem with violence to prevent harm or greater violence.
My problem with the military, though, is that they routinely inflict violence upon ordinary people who have done them no harm, women and children, people who are no threat to them.

A police officer will not shoot at a felon if there's a risk of hitting an innocent. A soldier will.
You no idea what the current rules of engagment are for combat. I am a Military Police soldier myself. We follow the same rules on a battlefield that a cop would on the street. We go through the same law enforcement training as cops. We helped peopled while we were in Iraq and never hurt anyone, even when they tried to blow up or squad, twice.

Last edited:

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
If God talks to people, why won't he talk to me? Tell him to meet me at Starbucks tomorrow at 5, I will buy.

He does talk to people. When you listen to your heart or pray he silently speaks to you. You can actually get a verbal response if you call to him faithfully and persistently.

dust1n

Zindīq
I disagree.
A soldier makes up his own mind whether to kill or not to kill.
To blame a politician who is hundreds, if not thousands, of miles away is nothing more tan allowing the soldier to shrug off responsibility for his actions.

I wouldn't necessarily think so. The individual is responsible, but the politicians are just as responsible. An assassin is responsible for killing someone, but so is the man who paid him.

Last edited:

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
I find it funny that I get indicted on misinterpreting something that was mistranslated into English, the text in the original Hebrew most clearly translates to "Do no murder" and not "You shall not" anything.

EDIT: Or do those who indict claim that the current scripture was an original work of the scribes who were employed by the English King James? In that case, I'm going to call plagiarism.

Last edited:

Luminous

non-existential luminary
I find it funny that I get indicted on misinterpreting something that was mistranslated into English, the text in the original Hebrew most clearly translates to "Do no murder" and not "You shall not" anything.

EDIT: Or do those who indict claim that the current scripture was an original work of the scribes who were employed by the English King James? In that case, I'm going to call plagiarism.
Where is this "original Hebrew text"? and what is the phrase for "do no murder" as opposed to "don't kill" in this original Hebrew.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Where is this "original Hebrew text"? and what is the phrase for "do no murder" as opposed to "don't kill" in this original Hebrew.
A copy of this text is in any Synagogue you wish to visit, in its original form. As far as the phrasing, buy a damn dictionary.