• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God FORGET???

Genna

I don't want some to feel as if I am attacking Christianity, I am here to learn religion. According to the immutable nature of God, He is OMNISCIENT and thus knows all things, this is a nature of God which cannot be altered in any way according to many Christians. For example "all things are possible with God," however God's immutable nature says that He CANNOT LIE, therefore lying is IMPOSSIBLE for God because of His immutable nature. Since Omniscience is one of Gods immutable attiributes, can someone please explain how the God of Christianity FORGETS?

Hebrews 8:12 - For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Hebrews 10:17 - And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Jeremiah 31:34 - And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Psalms 103:12 - As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Micah 7:19: “He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.”

hmmm...

Genna

writer said:
How many Gods do you have, genna?
In any case: He forgets cuz it's propitiated.
Like He says

You have missed my point, if God is all-knowing all the time, how can he forget? If I am aware of my sins and he is not, that would imply that I know something he doesn't, how then is he all-knowing? I don't know if the God of Christianity is the true God! You may believe that the God of Christianity is the true God, but to assume that would be bias, since Muslims believe that their God is the true God. Now please answer my question.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Genna said:
You have missed my point, if God is all-knowing all the time, how can he forget? If I am aware of my sins and he is not, that would imply that I know something he doesn't, how then is he all-knowing? I don't know if the God of Christianity is the true God! You may believe that the God of Christianity is the true God, but to assume that would be bias, since Muslims believe that their God is the true God. Now please answer my question.

Why would you assume it's a literal forgetting? You never had someone apologize to you and you replied "forget it"? Did you mean it literally?

As for the passage in Hebrews, it might be useful to find someone here who can read it in the original Greek. Some things are lost in translation.

Genna

Booko said:
Why would you assume it's a literal forgetting? You never had someone apologize to you and you replied "forget it"? Did you mean it literally?

As for the passage in Hebrews, it might be useful to find someone here who can read it in the original Greek. Some things are lost in translation.

Why would I assume its literal forgetting? because 9 out of 10 christians including LDS said so.

PetShopBoy88

Genna said:
I don't want some to feel as if I am attacking Christianity, I am here to learn religion. According to the immutable nature of God, He is OMNISCIENT and thus knows all things, this is a nature of God which cannot be altered in any way according to many Christians. For example "all things are possible with God," however God's immutable nature says that He CANNOT LIE, therefore lying is IMPOSSIBLE for God because of His immutable nature. Since Omniscience is one of Gods immutable attiributes, can someone please explain how the God of Christianity FORGETS?

Hebrews 8:12 - For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Hebrews 10:17 - And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Jeremiah 31:34 - And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Psalms 103:12 - As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Micah 7:19: “He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.”

hmmm...
I read this "not remembering" as an active thing, rather than a passive thing. If you forget something, that is passive. You can't will yourself to forget. When it says "remember their sin no more" I read it as "he doesn't recall their sin anymore to the forefront of his mind" or something along those lines. While he could still recall the circumstances of the sin if he wanted to, their repentance makes it sufficient that he won't.

Genna

PetShopBoy88 said:
I read this "not remembering" as an active thing, rather than a passive thing. If you forget something, that is passive. You can't will yourself to forget. When it says "remember their sin no more" I read it as "he doesn't recall their sin anymore to the forefront of his mind" or something along those lines. While he could still recall the circumstances of the sin if he wanted to, their repentance makes it sufficient that he won't.

I see what you are saying PetShopBoy88, that answer makes more sense than God actually being absentminded. Thank you!

writer

No offence.

if God is all-knowing all the time, how can he forget?
Like He says: based on His propitiation, His redemption

If I am aware of my sins and he is not, that would imply that I know something he doesn't, how then is he all-knowing?
What sins?
That may be because you haven't received His Son, who Is His proptiation (1 Jn 2:2)

I don't know if the God of Christianity is the true God! You may believe that the God of Christianity is the true God, but to assume that would be bias, since Muslims believe that their God is the true God. Now please answer my question.
I did, the first time. Maybe I should ask you to please slow down, and/or read it.
In any case, God isn't the "God of Christianity." He's the God who became human. Jesus Christ (Jn 20:28). And thus also the God of Jesus Christ.
The 3-1.
In other words, please speak for yourself (if you want) when accusing others of assumptions. I've no choice but to believe: i met Him.
Thanks

Super Universe

Defender of God
Where does this omniscient stuff come from? We get so distracted about the technical things, things we won't understand for another thousand years.

Anyway, God created the universe, so naturally He knows a lot about it. He also created each of our souls, which is sentient energy that joins with biologic species in order to have a life experience that it otherwise could not. Through the soul God experiences everything that we experience, so in effect He knows everything we know.

Never put the bible before God. It has been changed and alterred too many times. It's also in human words, the writing is a style that we don't use anymore. When was the last time you said, "Thou shalt not put your feet on my couch!"

When the bible says "I will remember no more" it means that God will act as if you never sinned. You are forgiven.

Genna

writer said:
No offence.

if God is all-knowing all the time, how can he forget?
Like He says: based on His propitiation, His redemption

If I am aware of my sins and he is not, that would imply that I know something he doesn't, how then is he all-knowing?
What sins?
That may be because you haven't received His Son, who Is His proptiation (1 Jn 2:2)

I don't know if the God of Christianity is the true God! You may believe that the God of Christianity is the true God, but to assume that would be bias, since Muslims believe that their God is the true God. Now please answer my question.
I did, the first time. Maybe I should ask you to please slow down, and/or read it.
In any case, God isn't the "God of Christianity." He's the God who became human. Jesus Christ (Jn 20:28). And thus also the God of Jesus Christ.
The 3-1.
In other words, please speak for yourself (if you want) when accusing others of assumptions. I've no choice but to believe: i met Him.
Thanks

Ok, lets not get excited now LOL!!! No matter how many semantical gymnastics you use, propitation doesn't refute How an all Knowing God can forget. And what do you mean that you met God???

Genna

Super Universe said:
Where does this omniscient stuff come from? We get so distracted about the technical things, things we won't understand for another thousand years.

Anyway, God created the universe, so naturally He knows a lot about it. He also created each of our souls, which is sentient energy that joins with biologic species in order to have a life experience that it otherwise could not. Through the soul God experiences everything that we experience, so in effect He knows everything we know.

Never put the bible before God. It has been changed and alterred too many times. It's also in human words, the writing is a style that we don't use anymore. When was the last time you said, "Thou shalt not put your feet on my couch!"

When the bible says "I will remember no more" it means that God will act as if you never sinned. You are forgiven.

"writer" seems to be the only one who does not agree with this....

writer

12 Ok, lets not get excited now LOL!!!
Why not, genna? God boring?

No matter how many semantical gymnastics you use, propitation doesn't refute How an all Knowing God can forget.
No matter how many deceits, self-deceits, or confusions you use (i guess we could use your phrase "semantical gymnastics;" propitiation, His own Son's human blood, does pay for sins. Is how All-knowing God forgets

And what do you mean that you met God???
I mean i met Him.
Thanks

writer

11 the bible...It has been changed and alterred too many times.
Then mebbe u could name once

It's also in human words,
What book's not?

the writing is a style that we don't use anymore.
?

When was the last time you said, "Thou shalt not put your feet on my couch!"
In 1611? Was this comment meant to suggest that the Bible's not the Bible unless written in Shakespeare's English?

Actually: it means what it says.
Why can't God forget (sins)?
Not cuz omniscient dear genna suggests He can't

Genna

writer said:
Ok, lets not get excited now LOL!!!
Why not, genna? God's boring?

No matter how many semantical gymnastics you use, propitation doesn't refute How an all Knowing God can forget.
No matter how many deceits, self-deceits, or confusions you use (i guess we could use your phrase "semantical gymnastics;" propitiation, His own Son's human blood, does pay for sins. Is how All-knowing God forgets.
Hallelujah

And what do you mean that you met God???
I mean i met Him.
Thanks

Another strawman! I am not the one who is confussed here, this is a simple question of logic. Where is the whipping smiley when you need one?

Genna

writer said:
Actually, it means what it says.
Why can't God forget (sins)?
Because omniscient genna suggests He can't?

Because God is Omniscient and this is a immutable quality of His, and your personal attacks are annoying me. I will report you to the moderator.

writer

18 Because God is Omniscient and this is a immutable quality of His, and your personal attacks are annoying me. I will report you to the moderator.
Personal attacks?
A question?
I won't report yours, genna. Though I don't doubt you'll do what you can to quash disagreement w/ u.
Go for it

17 Another strawman! I am not the one who is confussed here,
Neither are you "attacking" here

this is a simple question of logic. Where is the whipping smiley when you need one?
Was also a simply logic question: Why can't God forget sins He's paid for?
Cause sin's greater than God?
Or censorship's greater than free speech?

Genna

writer said:
Because God is Omniscient and this is a immutable quality of His, and your personal attacks are annoying me. I will report you to the moderator.
Personal attacks?
A question?
I won't report yours, genna. Though I don't doubt you'll do what you can to quash disagreement w/ u.
Go for it

Another strawman! I am not the one who is confussed here,
Neither are you "attacking" here.

this is a simple question of logic. Where is the whipping smiley when you need one?
There was also a simply logic question? Why cannot God forget sins He's paid for?
Cause sin's greater than God?
Or because censorship's greater than free speech?

Because God does not CHANGE! And Since Omniscience is a quality of Him that does not change, thats why! You are molding God into your own image.