• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God exist....

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think if people need to believe in God ( whatever ) then there is quite a lot of confirmation bias, people seeing what they want to see.

and I might ask....
Do you expect to see Something Greater than yourself?.... in that hour of your last breath....
or nothing

Deidre

Carlita, I had an experience last week, that caused me to return to the faith. (Christianity) Something I never thought I'd do.

I had truly fallen away from prayers, and identified as an atheist/agnostic for a while, but there was always something I was seeking. Or missing, maybe. Well, last week, I honestly felt like the holy spirit washed over me. It was like a physical feeling, and it's hard to explain. I imagine I sound insane lol but, it happened. I felt it. And since that day, I've accepted that Jesus is real, even. This doesn't mean we abandon logic, but faith is something different. It doesn't have to be logical, and this experience defies logic, to be honest. I'm finally at peace.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Carlita, I had an experience last week, that caused me to return to the faith. (Christianity) Something I never thought I'd do.

I had truly fallen away from prayers, and identified as an atheist/agnostic for a while, but there was always something I was seeking. Or missing, maybe. Well, last week, I honestly felt like the holy spirit washed over me. It was like a physical feeling, and it's hard to explain. I imagine I sound insane lol but, it happened. I felt it. And since that day, I've accepted that Jesus is real, even. This doesn't mean we abandon logic, but faith is something different. It doesn't have to be logical, and this experience defies logic, to be honest. I'm finally at peace.

What a wonderful and honest post you made.
It lifted my spirits.
I applaud you for your journey.

Baladas

An Págánach

I have had many similar experiences.
It was an experience like this that first made me a Christian.

I've come to different conclusions since, but I still have these experiences.
They are wonderful, and awe-inspiring aren't they?
I'm so happy you got to experience this! :)

Deidre

I have had many similar experiences.
It was an experience like this that first made me a Christian.

I've come to different conclusions since, but I still have these experiences.
They are wonderful, and awe-inspiring aren't they?
I'm so happy you got to experience this! :)
First, your signature is soooo beautiful! I want something like that. :)

And yes, the experience was amazing, so much so, it caused me to believe again. Granted, I had been up and down in my faith journey yearning for something I felt was missing, and that something being faith, but...this experience took me by surprise, and felt very real. I'd like to think it is what brought me back to Light.

Emi

Proud to be a Pustra!
Actually, I dont associate children like this. The younger they are, the more in tone with their true self. I find seeing children that way an insult to them and their innocent growth to learn by trial and error.

The question is, withkut refering to God as a figmant of our imagination, do you feel that the mind creates God (real lack of better words) so that our minds have purpose, meaning, safety, protection?

1. A child (rational and innocent) is in a terrible environment. Psychologically, her mind goes into safety mode by disassociating herself from the experience shes immediately in. This is normal. It is also a affect comming from her mind.

2. A lady who hears voices is clinicly sane. She is mentally and physically healthy "and" she hears voices. She is not crazy--MRI picked it up. It is her reality not what we consider sound when comparing it to the majority population. The origin of the voices are from her mind.

3. A man just came from war. He develops PTSD. He relives in his head his war experiences. They are real for him and not for others. They originate from the mind.

Question, purely theological.

Could believers in deities (Ill say God) be manestifations of the mind to

1. For safety. We do not want to feel alone. We find it hard to trust humans. We need someone greater we can trust while we are in a dangerous world of crime and suffering.

2. Sometimes when we need safety, our minds devop personas that will mirror other people to protect our trauma induced mind from shock. As a result of number one, the mind hears voices (say from "God") to bounce back comfort and solace. Strictly safety messures of the mind. No one is crazy.

3. We just came from a trauma situation. We didnt know who else to call on while in immediate danger. If we heard about God already, we may call on Him put of instinct. We replay this need for help everytime we come into trouble. God becomes our savior.

Can a healthy person develop the entity of God for the three and more reasons above into their reality (as the woman in the MRI) but not be a fact because God came from the mind not part from it?

although I understand where this is coming from--just like traumatic experiences, the belief in God has much much more involved than that. Just like trauma, a belief in God becomes a part of someone's life. Perhaps there are people that do relate to God for the three reasons you listed, but there are people that believe in God simply because there is no proof that it isn't true. Simply because when they read the Bible something resonated inside of them as though it is the answer they have been looking for--something that connected and intertwines so beautifully with his or her own beliefs that they felt renewed. I believe it is very easy for a healthy person to believe in God for a plethora of other reasons. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us:)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
although I understand where this is coming from--just like traumatic experiences, the belief in God has much much more involved than that. Just like trauma, a belief in God becomes a part of someone's life. Perhaps there are people that do relate to God for the three reasons you listed, but there are people that believe in God simply because there is no proof that it isn't true. Simply because when they read the Bible something resonated inside of them as though it is the answer they have been looking for--something that connected and intertwines so beautifully with his or her own beliefs that they felt renewed. I believe it is very easy for a healthy person to believe in God for a plethora of other reasons. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us:)
Twue. Twue (no mispelling ;)) I can see that. I had that when I came into Buddhism and live a "pagan" lifestyle within the gods depicted in the Buddbism I practice. Its extensive. What confuses people is that I came to this without having a "need" to. Most people I know fall into those categories I mentiones. They say without God, they would not be alive (say God saved them from a heart attack) things like that. For me, it is more, if I used God..God didnt and couldnt save my life. God IS life. The mystic Law. The Gohonzon. There is nothing separate from life itself supernatural and all. Full shabang.

Probably reason why I cant understand beliefs that separate God from "creation". Boggles me mind.

Facinating.

Nam.
:leafwind:

Emi

Proud to be a Pustra!
Twue. Twue (no mispelling ;)) I can see that. I had that when I came into Buddhism and live a "pagan" lifestyle within the gods depicted in the Buddbism I practice. Its extensive. What confuses people is that I came to this without having a "need" to. Most people I know fall into those categories I mentiones. They say without God, they would not be alive (say God saved them from a heart attack) things like that. For me, it is more, if I used God..God didnt and couldnt save my life. God IS life. The mystic Law. The Gohonzon. There is nothing separate from life itself supernatural and all. Full shabang.

Probably reason why I cant understand beliefs that separate God from "creation". Boggles me mind.

Facinating.

Nam.

haha actually your beliefs sound a lot like my own religion! I cannot understand God and creation either simply because I take the side of science on that aspect. I can understand why people would want to believe it though, as it implies we have a great deal of purpose :)
I'm glad you understand where I was coming from. The reason I am part of my current religion is because it suits me, so that's all I wanted to say. I also know people that chose their religion out of fear or the other reasons you mentioned :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
haha actually your beliefs sound a lot like my own religion! I cannot understand God and creation either simply because I take the side of science on that aspect. I can understand why people would want to believe it though, as it implies we have a great deal of purpose :)
I'm glad you understand where I was coming from. The reason I am part of my current religion is because it suits me, so that's all I wanted to say. I also know people that chose their religion out of fear or the other reasons you mentioned :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Im sorry. Im just reading this but congradulations. Every year I try to go to Easter Vigil to see people ask Jesus to be their Lord and Savior. Im sure they felt the same way you feel in your experience. I had a small percent of that and yes, words cant explain it. You traveled far in your faith (atheist? Muslim? Christian?) Gosh Im not that old on RF, am I? Anyway, reading the Bible helps a lot of folks. I hope you are getting your jump start from there while youre soaking up more experiencez in your oldanew faith.

Nam.

And a :hibiscus: for you.

Deidre

Im sorry. Im just reading this but congradulations. Every year I try to go to Easter Vigil to see people ask Jesus to be their Lord and Savior. Im sure they felt the same way you feel in your experience. I had a small percent of that and yes, words cant explain it. You traveled far in your faith (atheist? Muslim? Christian?) Gosh Im not that old on RF, am I? Anyway, reading the Bible helps a lot of folks. I hope you are getting your jump start from there while youre soaking up more experiencez in your oldanew faith.

Nam.

And a :hibiscus: for you.

haha yes, it's been a whirlwind of sorts, and then again...maybe it's what i needed to go through. and i came back to the place i left. but, not the same person i was back then. reading about Jesus is one thing, but experiencing the holy spirit is ...wow. words can't describe it. If the Holy Spirit isn't real, then not sure how to explain what I felt and still feel. maybe our experiences and spiritual feelings are just as valid as logic.

((hugs)) :sunflower:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
haha yes, it's been a whirlwind of sorts, and then again...maybe it's what i needed to go through. and i came back to the place i left. but, not the same person i was back then. reading about Jesus is one thing, but experiencing the holy spirit is ...wow. words can't describe it. If the Holy Spirit isn't real, then not sure how to explain what I felt and still feel. maybe our experiences and spiritual feelings are just as valid as logic.

((hugs)) :sunflower:

Lol. "May our experiences and spiritual feelings are just as valid as logic" niiice. I believe so. Theres no distinction between spiritual and not. Its all apart of life. All natural. When I took communion, I felt so at one with the Church. Baptism made me holy spirit dizzy, and confession/repentence saved my life. I fell in love with the practices but, christianity in general, not with the faith.

When I saw the Gohonzon (scroll depicting the one of the Buddhas important scriptures/sutras) and saw my true nature it, all the practices in the world couldnt detach me from actually "seeing" and experience my Buddha nature (closest I can compare is being born again but in this case there is no sin, you are always holy. EDIT: Its like seeing the bible sumarized on a scroll and everytime you see it, you see Christ. Communion)....and it just clicked. The two denomni I chanted with were politically opposed to each other. It put a damper on the religious aspect of the order...but its not like other religions where you kinda pick at things you dont like. This was more, I dont care if you flap your arms and pray and I stand on my head, we are all interconnected in the mystic Law.

I went to a pagan pride festival yesturday. That was a great feeling to be around people like me. Not the religion part but the earth centered part. I made new soon to be friends and by this Buddhist practice its like I can be friends with anyone.

Anyway, Im sure thats similar to how the holy spirit touches you and you are different around people. See things differently. Read the bible differently. Even your language changes to "christenglish" too.

Let it shine.

Nam.

Emi

Proud to be a Pustra!

In my view, Havism is the answer I've always been looking for. It is like a modern religion entering with a fresh slate. It promotes equality among all humans regardless of age, sex/gender, sexuality, race, beliefs, etc. although there isn't much focus on the divine, the deity involved is Samsus. It is believed he himself acted as the big bang and sacrificed himself to start the universe. It is believed that he exists through all of us and all living things. We are part of him just as he is part of us.
Havism focuses on giving back to the community, respecting our fellow lifeforms, and understanding humans opinions, expressions, and beliefs without acting hostile towards those unfamiliar or different. It isn't organized at all and the services mostly consist of us discussing our individual interpretations of the Book.

Arshi

Also, it is interesting to see that if the mind is challenged, it goes into defense mode. We do this in our respective faith.

The heart is not offensive or defesive. Our true nature lives outside of preferences the mind takes up religions included.

So does God exist in the mind? Not as a figmant of ones imagination but a coping technique explained above which, in themselves, are not dangerous or illogical?
Above things will happen, even if God is truly present.. We have to figure out something else to prove God is not there else by several signs in this world it proves there is someone who has Supreme power over humans life, Sun, moon, nature and its laws etc.
Peace be on you....In Holy Quran Prophets are human:
[18:111] Say, ‘I am only a man like yourselves; but I have received the revelation that your God is only One God. So let him who hopes to meet his Lord do good deeds, and let him join no one in the worship of his Lord.’

They are role model for people:

[60:5] "There is a good model for you in Abraham and those with him........................"