• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God Evolve?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Is God, in your view, an unchanging, static being? Or does God evolve as the universe, spirituality and religion evolve?

This article suggests that God is not static and is an evolving being.

Does God Evolve? - Theosophical Society in America

Thoughts and comments?
Brahman does not evolve, by definition. Evolution is strictly the domain of Prakriti which in its temporal flow, projects multiple aspects of unchanging and infinite Brahman in the finite dimensions of shape-form-actions.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Is God, in your view, an unchanging, static being? Or does God evolve as the universe, spirituality and religion evolve?
Having witnessed a perspective of God on a rainbow cloud Throne, and then as a evolving CPU in my NDE... This question is something still fascinated with.
  • The CPU processed, and knows the whole of history; thus it appears to be an evolving database.
  • The CPU having seen the end of time, is already more advanced than our levels of logic, and computing.
  • The CPU having already encompassed all that information, doesn't really need to learn it therefore, and it is our naive mind still working in a linear thought pattern.
  • Thus the CPU is already at a state of infinity, and it is waiting to see if some of us will catch on.
The article went into an idea that the Avatars messages evolved; whereas think it is more that different forms of religiousness have evolved over time.

The message from Krishna, Lao Tzu, Yeshua, Buddha, can all be read as talking about a virtual reality universe, with God being a form of CPU manifesting reality.

Personally question if it is more about us advancing enough, to understand what was in the text in the first place.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The religions of the world are primitive because at the time of their founding god was in his larval stage, and the reason that miracles, divine intervention, etc. ceased is because god spun a cocoon entered his pupal stage. ;)

DennisTate

Thoughts and comments?

That is an exceptionally good question.......
I am convinced that the most ancient Intelligence in the universe / Multiverse is
always learning and getting better and better at creating.......
and sharing life.

www.CarbonBias.blogspot.ca/

The Fundamental Force

"The prevalent and prevailing consensus points to four fundamental forces —
electromagnetism, gravitation, as well as strong and weak nuclear forces — but I
aver that there is only one force: energetic matter. The energetic matter
creates wave formations are expressed exclusively by the two principle behaviors
(forces) of pushing and pulling." (Dr. Chaim Tejman)

Wave Theory and Gender: Why Sex

"Pulling and gravitation, which resemble basic feminine traits, are the dominant properties of the magnetic loop. Consequently, magnetic loops have a capacity for storing energy and act to maintain the structural integrity of the entire wave formation. The electronic/energetic loop consists of expanding properties that disperse energetic matter that “disappears” into space. This is synonymous with masculine characteristics." (Dr. Chaim Tejman)

idav

Being
Premium Member
Yes and no. When arguing omniscience, God might know the end but he still would have to will himself there. So in a sense god would be fully evolved before taking a single step, but only in mind, then a potential is even possible for there to be move. The article mentions philosopher Hegel that argues everything has already happened. That would only be mind and potential. Everything has an immense potential energy in it. Gods possibilities would be like that but limitless.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Thoughts and comments?
Coming from my Advaita position (which is consistent with Theosophy):

My answer would be 'No' to God evolving. God/Brahman is the changeless base of our ever changing reality. It is just man's religious and spiritual understanding that does the evolving.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Coming from my Advaita position (which is consistent with Theosophy):

My answer would be 'No' to God evolving. God/Brahman is the changeless base of our ever changing reality. It is just man's religious and spiritual understanding that does the evolving.

By ever-changing reality, I'm guessing you are referring to temporal or perceived reality. In your view, is Absolute Reality changeless and static?

Jeremiah Ames

In some religions God evidently evolves, since their leadership comes up with revelations from God that change the past.
I’m not buying it though.

George-ananda

Premium Member
By ever-changing reality, I'm guessing you are referring to temporal or perceived reality.
Yes, reality as perceived through finite forms (like us).
In your view, is Absolute Reality changeless and static?
Yes, Absolute Reality is infinite consciousness. God/Brahman must experience through finite forms to experience the illusion of change ('Maya', illusion, in Advaita thought).

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
God/Brahman must experience through finite forms to experience the illusion of change ('Maya', illusion, in Advaita thought).

If God/Brahman is experiencing, isn't It then perceiving, learning and growing, and thereby evolving?

George-ananda

Premium Member
If God/Brahman is experiencing, isn't It then perceiving, learning and growing, and thereby evolving?
Good question. The ultimate experience of these finite forms is that it is all One infinite unchanging Cosmic Consciousness at play.

The universe is then seen as God/Brahman separating Himself from Himself and returning Himself to Himself. Why? A play/drama of the creative aspect of God/Brahman.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Any entity that does not change and grow is unworthy of being called a god, and isn't suited for the job.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Christian orthodoxy demands that God is eternally perfect so evolution (if such a thing makes sense for an atemloral entity) is out of question.

Any entity that does not change and grow is unworthy of being called a god, and isn't suited for the job.

Two conflicting views.

If we are talking about the Christian god, which is said to be perfect, then Apologes has to be correct. Consider a perfect circle. Change any aspect of its contour, and it ceases to be a perfect circle.

But in traditions that allow a god to be less than perfect, there is room for evolution.

Since I'm an atheist, the question isn't really too relevant. Something has to exist to evolve.

What is relevant is how the concept of God in Western culture has evolved. First, he was the angry, jealous, judgmental, vengeful, genocidal god of the Old testament, then the gentle god of the New Testament, and now we see this god evolving further, as when we are often told that His hell is just a metaphor for separation. He would never be that mean.

Attn Mods: Any chance of getting an "interesting" judgit added? Or an "agree" icon? Sometimes like, informative, creative, useful, etc. aren't quite right.

George-ananda

Premium Member
A second way to answer your question.

When you are infinite wisdom, there is no capacity for growth and learning. To experience learning and growth He must incarnate finite forms with limited knowing. Hence, the universe and us.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
When you are infinite wisdom, there is no capacity for growth and learning. To experience learning and growth He must incarnate finite forms with limited knowing.

In Advaita view, aren't these two statements contradictory? If the forms of finite wisdom are the same as Brahman, how can Brahman be infinite wisdom?