• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God break his vows?

Tumah

Veteran Member
The fellow's name is Asher Meza and this is what he claims about himself and his organization. This is condensed from his website - http://www.bejewish.org

"Rabbi Asher Meza received Rabbinical ordination at Yeshivat Nachlei Emunah under Rabbi Yitzchok Kolakowski.....

Our Goals:

*) Build Schools worldwide where our systematic Torah theology is taught.

*) Open rehabilitation centers worldwide where our systematic Torah theology is taught.

Why?

Because the proper keeping of the Judaic law code is this world’s only hope for survival.
Although it is true that remnants of this code permeate much of the monotheistic world today, yet still the world fails to progress ethically. This is due to equally widespread misunderstanding and misapplication of the Judaic code of law.....

Our systematic theological methodology:

Jewish practice and doctrinal theology stem solely from:
The Written Torah (5 books of Moses)
The Oral Torah: The Rulings of the Great Court (as codified in the Mishneh Torah of Rambam)

All other works including the books of the prophets and the writings (biblical and contemporary) exist only to reinforce the Written and Oral Torah. (No doctrine should be formulated from other books, nor do other books have the authority to alter or negate laws or theological concepts that appear in either the Written and Oral Torah.)

Restrictions within both the Written and Oral Law:

Written

All Doctrinal beliefs stem ONLY from the simple ethically contextual understanding found within the pages of Torah.
All practical instructional beliefs stem ONLY from the literal laws commanded in these books.

Oral

Concepts conveyed within the Oral Torah source texts that do not concern practical implementation of a law have the status of commentary when determining instructional doctrine.

What works do we consider doctrinally relevant:

The Tanach (The Torah, Prophets and the writings) (Completely Online)

The Rambam’s Sefer of Mitzvot (the Enumeration of the 613 commandments found in the Torah) (Completely Online)

The Rambam’s Mishneh Torah (the Codification of the Decrees of the Sanhedrin and the Oral Law as found in the Talmud) (Completely Online)
That's very nice, but a quick google shows that the "yeshivah" calls itself a "mosad" and not a yeshivah. He started his website in 2010, which would mean the rabbi he claimed to have received smicha from was about 24 years old at the time. Googling them both shows that at least one if not both of them are quite confused. I recant on questioning his Jewishness, but not on his status as a rabbi. Certainly not an orthodox rabbi.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
But everything God does is moral so if he did end up lying then lying in various circumstances would be a moral action. God can do anything since anything he does automatically becomes a moral action. The point could be made that our parents can drink alcohol, but prevent their children from drinking. Parents drinking alcohol is immoral but children drinking alcohol is. So God is like the parents in this case. He could justify it and rationalize it however with respect to anything he did.

Well, the problem with it is that it explains everything God does, ergo nothing. It does not even explain what morality is. For if God decides today that raping little children is a good idea, does raping little children become suddenly moral?

We can of course define morality by what God does or wishes, but that would be an unnecessary and void definition, without any meaning. It would reduce the claim "god is always moral" to the claim "god does always what he does", which is tautological and useless. Basically.

Ciao

- viole

Hawkins

If God creates an "everlasting covenant" and some people come along later and say, 'oh no... God has nullified it'...

Who do you believe?

That depends on what scope the covenant is applied. It is said that "if you failed to obey the law, you will be cut off from your people (the Jews)". That is, you are only subject to such a covenant when you have the will to abide by the law specified in the covenant. It is still an everlasting covenant for the Jews though (as long as they choose to abide by the 613 commandments).

To put it another way, the covenant is still there but few humans choose to be under such a covenant.

In terms of Law and covenant, the Jews are actually gentiles after being "cut off from their people". That gives room for yet another everlasting covenant covering the scope of all the gentiles.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That depends on what scope the covenant is applied. It is said that "if you failed to obey the law, you will be cut off from your people (the Jews)". That is, you are only subject to such a covenant when you have the will to abide by the law specified in the covenant. It is still an everlasting covenant for the Jews though (as long as they choose to abide by the 613 commandments).

To put it another way, the covenant is still there but few humans choose to be under such a covenant.

In terms of Law and covenant, the Jews are actually gentiles after being "cut off from their people". That gives room for yet another everlasting covenant covering the scope of all the gentiles.
Since when is stereotyping any people morally acceptable? Do you honestly think all Jews, then and now, we/are all the same? Why would God stereotype all Jews and then punish them all? Doesn't that sorta send up a red flag?

Hawkins

Since when is stereotyping any people morally acceptable? Do you honestly think all Jews, then and now, we/are all the same? Why would God stereotype all Jews and then punish them all? Doesn't that sorta send up a red flag?

Since when I said God punished anyone. It's all about how humans in different period of time being saved.

If you are not qualified by a said standard, you are blocked from entering Heaven. Since when I said that the Jews are discriminated? The Jews are actually given the advantage over the gentiles as once upon a time the whole Israel was called to be His witnesses.

Oculus

J A F O
Does God break his vows?
What vows? All he's delivered is the contradictory policy of the Bible, "do as I say, not as I do".

"God" is a selfish peckerwood with a proven track record of being a complete turd to his creatures.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Since when I said God punished anyone. It's all about how humans in different period of time being saved.

If you are not qualified by a said standard, you are blocked from entering Heaven. Since when I said that the Jews are discriminated? The Jews are actually given the advantage over the gentiles as once upon a time the whole Israel was called to be His witnesses.
Jesus said to "judge ye not...", so maybe come back and tell us when you're going to actually start believing in Jesus, OK? In order to have your belief above, you have to have God stereotyping Jews and punishing the entire group as if all were guilty, and I tend to believe that's not too ethical for either God or you to do.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Exodus 16:32

And Moses saith, `This [is] the thing which Yahovah hath commanded: Fill the omer with it, for a charge for your generations, so that they see the bread which I have caused you to eat in the wilderness, in My bringing you out from the land of Egypt.'

Good question, @Shem Ben Noah.

Anybody seen that missing omer?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Or, from a Buddhist perspective, a possibility is that a limited, mind-changing deva delusionally and/or maliciously believes and teaches that he's "almighty god".
I'm not sure if this is meant seriously or jokingly. It's hard to tell without knowing people and hearing inflection.

buddhist

I'm not sure if this is meant seriously or jokingly. It's hard to tell without knowing people and hearing inflection.
It was meant to be serious.

As you probably know, in early Buddhism, the devas are essentially "more powerful" humans. And, like humans, we tend to change our minds, and we suffer from delusion or malice and sometimes grandeur.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
It was meant to be serious.

As you probably know, in early Buddhism, the devas are essentially "more powerful" humans. And, like humans, we tend to change our minds, and we suffer from delusion or malice and sometimes grandeur.
That is a little concerning as anything can be trickery. Perhaps that is why Buddha and eastern masters will say don't take our word for it. experiment and find out yourself. But then maybe even I am being tricked by a deva. I guess for me the best policy is to judge by the fruit produced,

buddhist

That is a little concerning as anything can be trickery. Perhaps that is why Buddha and eastern masters will say don't take our word for it. experiment and find out yourself. But then maybe even I am being tricked by a deva. I guess for me the best policy is to judge by the fruit produced,
Indeed.

Surely you've heard of the early Buddhist sutta which recounts the delusion of Brahma?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.

Red flag? People actually pay attention to those?