• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Freewill Exist in the Bible?

Kelly of the Phoenix

Here is a hypothetical situation where a Christian may recant and fall away from their faith in order to buy food for their family:

A grandparent can't bear to see his grandchild starve to death, so he may buckle under the pressure, renounce Christianity, worship the Anti-Christ and take the mark, just to get baby formula, for example.

This is why Jesus said many Christians will fall away from the faith during the 42-month period of the Anti-Christ's reign.
Or maybe I left Christianity precisely to remain loyal to God.

InChrist

Free4ever
I see people claim freewill is implied by the bible or that freewill is a theological necessity but is it really?

Of course I see the concept of choice in the Bible but the ability to choose doesn't not by itself freewill.
When we make a choice, are we not compelled by external factors into the choice me made?

For example, I made a choice not to have a belief about God, but there existed many external factors which caused me to make this choice.

Is it possible to show conclusively that freewill is a biblical concept?
I think the concept of free will is presented throughout the scriptures. One important point to consider is that the scriptures state, “God is Love”. The Bible reveals that God created human beings to be in an eternal, loving relationship with Him. Since there can be no real love without real choice, I believe God considers freewill vital and Jesus said...

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are ”not willing” to come to Me that you may have life.
John 5:39-40

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Adam and Eve chose to eat the fruit, even though God had told them that they should not. It was their own choice, no one else did it for them.

That assumes that Eve had the wherewithall to reject the snake and Adam had the wherewithall to reject Eve.
Perhaps they didn't and did not have the ability to choose otherwise.