• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does fasting boost your immune system?

Milton Platt

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no issue with people fasting if they think it has some sort of benefit. But as to the article, I saw no link to a paper that has actually done a controlled study to confirm this particular benefit. seems to be purely anecdotal.
Follow the links in posts 27 and 28.

The article in the OP is kind of bloated and some of the pertinent info is easy to miss.

Last edited:

Milton Platt

Follow the links in posts 27 and 28.

The article in the OP is kind of bloated and some of the pertinent info is easy to miss.

Cool. I did not see those links, as I did not have time to read the entire thread. It remains to be seen how rebuilding a weak immune system due to chemotherapy relates to starting with a normal immune system which does not recognize a virus due to the fact that it has only recently been introduced into the human population. they are two different things.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Cool. I did not see those links, as I did not have time to read the entire thread. It remains to be seen how rebuilding a weak immune system due to chemotherapy relates to starting with a normal immune system which does not recognize a virus due to the fact that it has only recently been introduced into the human population. they are two different things.
Still, a brand new immune system couldn't hurt.

(And actually, the way you say it it sounds like at least 3 different things :D )

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I wasn't talking about you. This is why I don't usually respond to your posts: more times than not, you seem to completely misinterpret what I write. Sometimes in the most bizarre and baffling ways.

No.

You still don't get it, but that's OK. :)

How about we leave it at that?

Yeah...... OK.
I suppose I do find your posts to be aggressive and snappy, and dismissive, like above.

.See ya later............... :)

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
I've been fasting periodically for most of my life, and I'm a firm believer in its health benefits.

Today, I found this:

Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds - Flowin

In India, women perform a fast on Karva Chauth day for the good health of the husband. My wife, unfortunately, developed severe gastritis on one occasion and doctor proscribed fasting for her. But that is a special case.

Fasting is a recommended method for getting rid of bodily toxins. It is the first line of treatment in Ayurveda. Medicines come second.

I was detected as a diabetic in 2012. Since then after every 6 months, my medicine dose has doubled. In 2019 I became alarmed when doctors talked of retinopathy and other problems. Very few doctors, however, tell you that the easier way is total/partial abstinence from starch, sugar, fructose, processed food, and replacing some of that with virgin oils and daily exercise. By following that route I could bring my diabetes on track again. I am on a path of medicine reduction now. Additionally, the process has improved the lipid profile and BP too. These lifestyle diseases develop over 10-15 years. Those who maintain light food intake and cleanse their systems periodically do not cross over to critical states when the only way out is to take chemicals as medicines.

And there are abundant scientific pieces of evidence. But as there is always a conflict with the established processed food industry such reports get dumped. There is evidence that people on calorie-restricted diet (CR) age more slowly than those in the control group.

The Science Behind Fasting Diets
8 Health Benefits of Fasting, Backed by Science
Intermittent fasting: Surprising update - Harvard Health Blog
Top 5 intermittent fasting benefits ranked

However, I must note, that as per Ayurveda one approach does not suit all.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It is my understanding that the three things required to maintain our immune system (after what our genes have given us) is a good diet, regular exercise and sufficient sleep.