• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does fantasy offend Wiccans or Pagans/Heathens?

RavenRose

If you follow any pagan religion :

Do shows/cartoon/anime depicting "witches" with fantasy magical powers offend you?

A good example would be Witch Hunter Robin in which Robin follows 'The Craft' and can create fire.

Maybe you remember the movie 'The Craft', which depicted the four girls as witches.

I understand there are MANY different pagan beliefs, so many that I do not know half of them. That many people follow a code causing no harm. Without getting to technical, please consider the question.

They may show people a false image of many people's beliefs that don't reflect anything in reality, and just cause intolerance.

ErikaLee

Doesn't offend me, really.

The only issue I have with the movie "The Craft" is that it really wasn't factually correct as far as Paganism/Witchcraft is concerned, and maybe that was the point. The God they mentioned wasn't a "real" God as far as I know, and I don't believe they put a Goddess in there at all.

If you want a movie that seems more realistic as far as Paganism/Witchcraft is concerned you should watch "Practical Magic"... that is more realistic as far as I'm concerned.

EL

Runt

I know I read fantasy all the time and am not offended. There is, after all, a reason it is called "fantasy". It is not real...

Even the "wicked witch" images in the media don't bug me. They may sometimes taint the image of my religion in non-pagan eyes, but they cannot taint the individual pagan or our view of ourselves, and people who believe that what they see on tv is true are probably too dumb to understand real paganism and witchcraft anyway.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I love reading fantasy, it is sometimes more "real" to me than other works of fiction, if that makes sense. Non-factual portrayals do not offend me, maybe annoy me a little sometimes just because I like things presented correctly, but I'm hardly offended. Just as others beliefs about God and themselves have no concern over my beliefs, I don't allow their impressions of my ideas have any influence on me.