• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does evolution have any affect on your spirituality?

arthra

Baha'i
Does evolution make any difference to you In your spirituality? Why or why not?

Baha'is accept that man has evolved:

"....as man in the womb of the mother passes from form to form, from shape to shape, changes and develops, and is still the human species from the beginning of the embryonic period -- in the same way man, from the beginning of his existence in 310 the matrix of the world, is also a distinct species, that is, man, and has gradually evolved from one form to another."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p. 309-310

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That's an interesting image. Where did that come from? It has to be from a long time back as it has worms, insects, and reptiles coming before fish. Early 1900's? But in general I see things this way somewhat. Which modern school of thought produced it? Theosophy?

It's from Meher Baba's book "God Speaks".

It can be noted that "worms etc" don't necessarily only mean land dwelling worms but a general class of organisms less evolved than fish (with gills), birds and the like. To me it represents the development of consciousness.

Last edited:

Evie

If it leaves you wallowing in denial, self-deceit, willful ignorance, and intellectual dishonesty, then I would say that it infact has a rather large impact upon you, spiritually.
In relation to the human body, parts of the eye for example, are dependent on one another in order for sight to exist., so each being necessary to another's existence, which came first?

Evie

I know I have stronger evidence supporting my acceptance of the science. It's not about opinions being equal here. They are not. It's a matter of the weight of evidence. But again, this is not a debate thread.

Why is this strange? Can't evolution be the way God creates? Why is that not possible?
There are many who think God did create all via evolution. Suppose we did know the absolute truth of how it all came about. Do you think it would make any difference? Would the knowledge act like a magic wand and cause mankind to be less corrupt? Personally i don't think so.

There are many who think God did create all via evolution. Suppose we did know the absolute truth of how it all came about. Do you think it would make any difference? Would the knowledge act like a magic wand and cause mankind to be less corrupt? Personally i don't think so.

The compulsion humans have to know 'why' derails them from the end result, which is the present moment.
The 'why' is of no consequence, whereas the 'is' is the thing that matters.
To live life, it must be lived, as opposed to analysed and questioned.
Many search for logic in existence, and you will clearly see that such people are the least content of anybody.
As Lao Tzu famously stated: The World is perfect.
And, of course, it is; humans being the only thing marring its perfection, in the eyes of those very humans that mar it.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure what you're saying here? To me science can help expose the wonders and marvels of this world. But it is the heart and soul of humans that see and respond with wonder and vision. It's not just head knowledge that opens someone to that. It's heart knowledge. So, no, just telling someone the facts isn't going to do that. Getting them to hear and see with the heart, the mind, and the soul together is what leads to living life better and more inclusive of others. When I hear someone in denial of facts, I hear someone afraid with the heart. And that's a spiritual problem.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
In relation to the human body, parts of the eye for example, are dependent on one another in order for sight to exist., so each being necessary to another's existence, which came first?

Well, perhaps a way to find out is to look at other animals and the fossil record. Many of the things that appear to be essential are actually not and the dependencies only came after all had evolved.

Evie

So
The compulsion humans have to know 'why' derails them from the end result, which is the present moment.
The 'why' is of no consequence, whereas the 'is' is the thing that matters.
To live life, it must be lived, as opposed to analysed and questioned.
Many search for logic in existence, and you will clearly see that such people are the least content of anybody.
As Lao Tzu famously stated: The World is perfect.
And, of course, it is; humans being the only thing marring its perfection, in the eyes of those very humans that mar it.
So true.

It takes a million million unsuspected qualities for a human to even recognize Truth when it materializes.
You have a lot going for you.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
*** STAFF REMINDER ***

Interfaith Discussion is not a debate area. Please refrain from debating in this thread as per Rule 10.

rusra02

Premium Member
I know I have stronger evidence supporting my acceptance of the science. It's not about opinions being equal here. They are not. It's a matter of the weight of evidence. But again, this is not a debate thread.

Why is this strange? Can't evolution be the way God creates? Why is that not possible?
I think it is more about the weight of authority, not evidence. I believe the evidence proves God did not use macro-evolution to create.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think it is more about the weight of authority, not evidence. I believe the evidence proves God did not use macro-evolution to create.
Again, not a debate thread. But just to share how I approach these matters, the weight of authority for science should be scientists, not God. Just like a heart surgeon is the one to go to for problems with the old ticker, rather than the pages of the book of Leviticus. God doesn't teach us about science. Scientists do. God has to do with the soul, and leaves the rest up to us to figure out.

I like that approach to God much better than fighting against knowledge. It makes me free to not confuse my spirit by denying my mind, "grieve not the holy spirit", sort of thing.