• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does everyone have their price?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
While I was reading the thread about the woman who was the key figure in the Roe v. Wade case make a death bed confession that her switch to being anti-abortion was all an act (The woman behind 'Roe vs. Wade' didn't change her mind on abortion. She was paid), I was thinking of how much money one might pay for such a thing and the oft-used notion that "everyone has their price."

What she did clearly seems unethical and immoral, although my question is more along the lines of how much people might compromise their ethics and morals for the sake of money - and how much money would it take?

If you're an atheist and someone offered you a billion dollars to publicly proclaim yourself as a Christian, would you do it? (I can't imagine anyone offering that much money, but I'm sure it would tempt a lot of people.)

If you're a Democrat, would you switch to Republican if offered enough money?

Would it make any difference if it was something that didn't affect one personally or something they had no real position on, but took a position because they were paid to? It wouldn't be reversing a previous position.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
While I was reading the thread about the woman who was the key figure in the Roe v. Wade case make a death bed confession that her switch to being anti-abortion was all an act (The woman behind 'Roe vs. Wade' didn't change her mind on abortion. She was paid), I was thinking of how much money one might pay for such a thing and the oft-used notion that "everyone has their price."

What she did clearly seems unethical and immoral, although my question is more along the lines of how much people might compromise their ethics and morals for the sake of money - and how much money would it take?

If you're an atheist and someone offered you a billion dollars to publicly proclaim yourself as a Christian, would you do it? (I can't imagine anyone offering that much money, but I'm sure it would tempt a lot of people.)

Would it make any difference if it was something that didn't affect one personally or something they had no real position on, but took a position because they were paid to? It wouldn't be reversing a previous position.

Money can actually change a person's mind. I don't believe she just did it for the money. I believe that the money literally changed her mind. Seriously. I am not joking.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't think everyone has their price, particularly if said price is solely around money.

Having said that, for a billion bucks I'm Christian.

Rational Agnostic

Would I lie about my political/religious views for a billion dollars? HELL yes!!:D

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If you have core values, you won't sell them for a price. If you lack core values, the sky's the limit, then.

I wouldn't sell my core values.
But I could start an e-shop for the non-core ones. 10% discount if you purchase both a hair colour change and a minor voting tweak at the next local election before next Sunday.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, it's a matter of character.

Drawing a line around 'core values' is interesting, though.
We can all nod along with this conceptually then realise the dude next to us has what we would consider completely twisted core values.

(Sidenote : twisted values are any values different to mine...ahem...)

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have jokingly set my minimum price for divesting myself of my values at $542 million dollars. I am pretty sure my values will remain with me. But much like cheating spouses it is as much about opportunity as inclination. I have never been in a position to test them for cash.

If anyone has the research budget to test whether I would take the money, I would willingly subject myself to the experiment.

Disclaimer: I am not saying I am worth it, but that is my price.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

No, i would not change my mind for money.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
No but I would change my money for my mind though, Ha, ha,ha

I'm sellin'

exchemist

Veteran Member

Not in money, no. Once they have enough to get by, a lot of people don't want more of it particularly.

If the "price" were to include things other than money, that might be a harder question.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

No...

how much was she paid?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

A billion dollars? You must be joking - a billion quid and I'm yours. :oops:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

First, i think it a matter personal values, some things I find obnoxious, lying is one of them. Add to that, we have enough money so i doubt that the spendy stuff would change my mind.

Though i can see how many people would be tempted to sell their values for the right price.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I've quit jobs for reasons of conscience twice.

The first time, I waited until I lined up another job.

The second time, I had just sold my house and had enough money in the bank to live on until I found another job.

Both times, if there was more financial risk, I probably would have been more reluctant to follow my conscience.