• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does enlightenment require study?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
It might just be a difference of definitions, but do you believe enlightenment as you define it to require reading, or study, or even learning? Why or why not?

And for that matter, how are you defining enlightenment?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I'll answer the first question now, and save the second for later. I think study helping in enlightenment depends not only on the person, but on the circumstances. Let me explain. Sometimes, I think I've had little enlightenment experiences simply by studying and reading Buddhist scriptures and commentaries, Zen poems, and the like. But there's been other times, when I've felt like doing that has actually hindered any enlightenment experience I may have had.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Enlightenment is the ability to see things as they are imo. To be able to see everything as it really is requires much study. But to see any particular situation as it really is does not require any study or even reading. I think even a baby can experience enlightenment.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Nope. No study or learning at all. Enlightenment defined comes in cans with a pull tab.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
It might just be a difference of definitions, but do you believe enlightenment as you define it to require reading, or study, or even learning? Why or why not?

I think only one in a million (i.e. Buddha) can sit by himself under a tree and figure it out himself. The rest of us need to use the collective human wisdom of thousands of years to reach enlightenment.

Understanding that all is One.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
So, in short, everyone agrees that enlightenment does not require study to attain knowledge. Thought as much.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In the sense of my own path, "enlightenment" would be learning a Mystery. Mysteries are mystical religious truths that are fundamentally experiential, usually spontaneous, and cannot be taught. So no, in that sense, learning a mystery definitely does not require the sort of book-learning the OP is probably referencing. In fact, I would say that the over-analytical (logical/rational) mindset encouraged by book-learning gets in the way of experiencing Mysteries more often than it doesn't. The arts, which encourage an emotional, ecstatic, or intuitive mindset facilitate experiencing Mysteries far better. But there are times where book learning elicits emotional ecstasy, and in that cause, it can be a gate to the Mysteries. You've got to be a real nerd for that to work, though. Arts work more universally.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
So, in short, everyone agrees that enlightenment does not require study to attain knowledge. Thought as much.

That's the jist of it. Study, more times than not, is actually a hindrance to our enlightenment, because the experience of enlightenment is so individual, that we can't really expect ours to be the same as someone else's. To use the Zen saying, they're just fingers pointing at the moon, but we have to find the way to the moon ourselves once we know where it is.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Or as I explained to another:

Yamaoka Tesshu, as a young student of Zen, visited one master after another. He called upon Dokuon of Shokoku.

Desiring to show his attainment, he said: “The mind, Buddha, and sentient beings, after all, do not exist. The true nature of phenomena is emptiness. There is no realization, no delusion, no sage, no mediocrity. There is no giving and nothing to be received.”

Dokuon, who was smoking quietly, said nothing. Suddenly he whacked Yamaoka with his bamboo pipe. This made the youth quite angry.

“If nothing exists,” inquired Dokuon, “where did this anger come from?”

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That's the jist of it. Study, more times than not, is actually a hindrance to our enlightenment, because the experience of enlightenment is so individual, that we can't really expect ours to be the same as someone else's. To use the Zen saying, they're just fingers pointing at the moon, but we have to find the way to the moon ourselves once we know where it is.
The moment during studying. :0)

apophenia

I think only one in a million (i.e. Buddha) can sit by himself under a tree and figure it out himself. The rest of us need to use the collective human wisdom of thousands of years to reach enlightenment.

Even Gautama spent years studying with the rishis etc. He may have gone beyond what they taught, but he nevertheless went through a long period of study and reflection, and following the path of others.

Actually, according to abhidharma, everything is sequences of one and zero at about 17 trillion per second. ;)

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

What do you believe makes the Buddha intrinsically different from yourself?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Not needed, but a boost.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

It requires only learning. Life experience will inevitably lead to enlightenment, or as we Hindus call it, Realisation.
Reading and studying, spiritual practice etc are all extremely helpful but even if all this was absent, everyone would eventually become enlightened. It may just take longer.

atanu

Premium Member
Study and deep reflection prepare the mind for withdrawal of senses from their external objects, concentration of the mind, and steadfast meditation.

Perfect meditation and abidance extinguishes the mind but ironically that is the highest state of knowledge.