• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does early religious indoctrination affect people for a lifetime?

Onyx

Premium Member
Though people often change their religion or reject the concept altogether on a conscious level, is it really possible to become entirely free of doctrine you were exposed to (or forced to accept) in early childhood? And if that is your desire, what steps might you take to free yourself from any feelings of obligation to earlier religious influences?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Though people often change their religion or reject the concept altogether on a conscious level, is it really possible to become entirely free of doctrine you were exposed to (or forced to accept) in early childhood? And if that is your desire, what steps might you take to free yourself from any feelings of obligation to earlier religious influences?

This is my little bit from the short time I was "indoctrinated." I grew up with no religion. 2013-2015ish I was confirmed and practiced as Roman Catholic. For example, with the Eucharist Catholic believe it is literally the blood and body of christ. I went to Church everyday of the week and Sunday. Had one everyday of the week except sunday unless it were holidays. I have seizures. Wine and seizures don't mix.

Then I said to someone, "you know, I wasn't thinking I was drinking real wine at Communion since Catholics believe it's the blood and body of christ."

That changed my thinking of people who are indoctrinated into this belief. Probably my first thing is to educate yourself. If it's christianity, read the bible. I honestly believe Catholicism is the closest to the bible and christianity one can get; but, then, it also made me re-evaluate what I value and what I do not.

List your values or what you know is important in your life aside from religion. If someone told you (or even god) told you to get rid of this value, how would you feel? What's in your gut? If you're feeling something uncomfortable, I'd rethink if X is the best for you (you meaning anyone in general).

Another thing in addition to educating oneself and self-reflection, if it's Catholicism, go to Mass a couple of times and participate in it from a different perspective. Yes, Catholics can say the Eucharist is Jesus blood/body all day long but at the end of the day, they are eating bread and drinking alcohol. Maybe finding a different way of seeing the "indoctrinated faith" in a positive manner, will help soothe the guilt when you say "Hey, I like this and it's not for me."

My Parish (and friends) visit me three times a year. Christmas, Easter, and Pentecost to say hello, give me rosaries, a picture of jesus and mary, and a small chat. A lot of times if you're part of the Legion of Mary or was part of a Catholic group or something, they make friendly check-ups on ya. JW did it yesterday, I believe. I was friends with a a couple before they went out of town.

Honestly tell them, "hey, I understand what you believe and I just [in my words] not feelin' it." Or sometimes I'd just say "I remember when I did practice, I understand what you mean... " and maybe offer what you believe to (setting appropriate).

I like my baptismal pictures, crucifix I got when I was confirmed, baptism certificate, and the rosery my best friend gave to me as well as the Church bible I got during confirmation. Outside of that, I donated the rest of my bibles. I put the other five roseries away (I'd probably donate them since I don't throw away religious relics). The jesus/mary picture I'd probably throw away. Basically, you are empting your space and external area out so they you can replace it with what you value rather than what you are told to value.

On the flip side,

You can keep a lot of things taught from your previous faith. Rituals aren't bad if you're doing it from the heart. I mean, sometimes I would do the sign of the cross to remember my baptismal vows because they are vows regardless of where you go. You literally vowed yourself to be a part of the body/people of believers. So, if your last faith had vows-buddhist, muslim, whatever, you can still honors those.

But unless you want to completely forget about your former faith, I think it's healthy to separate yourself from the practice and beliefs but don't isolate yourself so much as making them the enemy.

This is for anyone if it doesn't apply to you too.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Not entirely, no. You can take the boy from the country but you can't take the country from the boy. In my Hindu sampradaya, we have born Hindus, converts, and adoptives (from no religion). From my personal observations, the converts have the toughest time of the 3 going with the flow. The born Hindus have it easier, although if they convert from a different sect it can be noticeable. Often unaware of it (sometimes adamantly in deniall as well) , a keen observer can see it in the converts.

Termed the subconscious mind, it is difficult to reprogram, and will 'return to old comfort zones' quite easily.

Bird123

A person is supposed to become more than the sum of their teachings. It is bad when they are teaching people to merely accept and never question.

People choose a set of desires in life, then proceed to bring that to reality. Religion places God in a nice little box. Hey, accept the program, get it out of the way so one can work at creating what they really want.

How much does truth really matter to people? Let's make everything feel good instead. Let's get this world the way I want.

Religion can make people feel good. One can be better than others. One can be special in the eyes of God. One can claim wisdom having memorized God's holy book. Hey, let's not forget Heaven for all my troubles. What is there not to like?

The world is not in a vacuum. When one leaves reality, there is usually someone who will interact with you to get you to think. Perhaps that is why so many get angry when their beliefs are challenged. It has always been easier to accept rather than make an effort to Discover the Real Truth.

I asked a World War 2 veteran how could anyone follow Hitler. His answer was that if you tell someone something long enough they will believe it to be true even if it is not true. Programming is real. I have seen Sunday school classes with people huddled together reciting,reciting,reciting.

I think Real Truth should be simply Understood rather than memorized or drilled into people.

It comes down to whether one really seeks truth and I have found few who really do. With the programming factor, one must constantly question everything. As I see it, one must question even long held beliefs and the things we now consider facts. At one time, it was a fact that the smallest particle of an element was an atom. The constant questioning proved that not to be true.

The search for the Real Truth is a never ending process. I have found that the Real Truth seems to always add up completely. If what you believe does not add up completely, then it's time to question even more.

On a path to Discovery, the knowledge and truth one acquires changes the picture. Only true knowledge will allow one to give up the programming and beliefs drilled into us from childhood. Seems for many it takes a lifetime to move forward even the smallest. On the other hand, one can cross the world even taking baby steps. I guess the important thing is to always move forward.

As I see it, those who struggle so hard to create the world they want, will discover in time that true reality was better all along.

As I see it, it is a good idea to talk with the oldest of people. You might be surprised what you might learn.

As I see it, it is a good idea to talk with the very youngest of people. You might be surprised that they know God the best, for they have just left God's arms.

As I see it, it is a good idea to talk with those different from ourselves. God gave everyone a different view to guaranty mankind a larger view than any one person could have. A larger view always brings more knowledge of some kind.

Finally, as I see it, there is so much knowledge to be discovered out there that God could never want people confined in a mere Box of Beliefs.

This brings us back full circle. A person is supposed to become more than the sum of their teachings. THINKING IS REQUIRED.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Understand the actual nature of indoctrination. See it for what it is.

It's not a natural disposition, just programmable. It can be completely disregarded and dropped.

lostwanderingsoul

Why do you think the church wants to baptize babies when they are just a few weeks old? Everyone baptized in the Bible was an adult and knew what they were doing. The church knows that if they grab children before they know what is going on, there is a better chance that they will stay with the church as adults.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not in my case. I remained a Hindu but turned a strong atheist.
I remained a Hindu because the philosophy answered all my questions.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Probably did a bit when I was younger, but I admit mostly it was because it made me feel naughty in the blasphemous way. Regardless, it has no relevance in a real sense in my life now. As far as other people, some people are just whacked and nothing is going to fix them - they're going to blame everything else for their problems but the real problem is themselves. If they were more adaptable, more forgiving, less self-centered, or smarter they'd have already addressed these sticking points and moved on long ago.

syo

is it really possible to become entirely free of doctrine you were exposed to (or forced to accept) in early childhood? And if that is your desire, what steps might you take to free yourself from any feelings of obligation to earlier religious influences?
it's very difficult to overcome any doctrine that is connected with fear. if you want to overcome such a doctrine, you must overcome it's fear.

VioletVortex

Yes. For example, almost all people in Western society will find themselves saying "Oh god" at some point, regardless of their religious beliefs.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Depends on the person. Depends on the indoctrination. Also, it probably will have some effect for a lifetime. However, what that effect is probably varies quite a bit from person to person.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Kids soak everything up so indoctrination is more likely at a younger age.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
it's very difficult to overcome any doctrine that is connected with fear. if you want to overcome such a doctrine, you must overcome it's fear.
Yep. There's a big difference between founded fear based of real world experiences, and unfounded fear that simply dosent exist, but plays out in the mind as a founded fear would.

The mind itself is far easily a person's worse enemy in playing out unfounded fears that have no basis in reality except solely within a person's mind.

Being we are so programmable by others,. It's not any surprise people react as they do without ever considering the basis by which a particular fear is founded.

Reactions: syo

Hawkins

No, a live example is that people indoctrinated by their education to believe that "we should believe something only when it is evidenced to us". However, among the 100% humans who know for a fact that black hole exists, 99.99% of them don't have the evidence. They believe others (say, the scientists as direct eyewitnesses) have the evidence. More often, people rely on trusting the direct eyewitnesses with faith to approach a truth. They are indoctrinated to believe otherwise though.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Possible? Of course. I'd consider myself one of them. That said, there are lots of moving parts to consider when assessing how simple or difficult that is.

The first set of parts relate to how you were exposed to that tradition. For how many years (excluding age 0-4) was there an attempt to raise you in that tradition? During those years, how frequently were you exposed to that tradition? During that exposure, were you really immersed in what you were doing and did you enjoy it? Put another way, did you embrace and fully live that tradition?

The second set of parts relates to other interests in your life which you consider(ed) unrelated to religion. What other components of life captured your attention? How present were they in your life? Did you immerse in
those things and fully embrace them? And were these things more or less present and immersive than what you consider(ed) your religion to be?

The third set of parts relates to the overall cultural environment. What are the dominant religious and theological paradigms in the culture you are most routinely exposed to? Whether you were raised in that or not, that exposure is going to have an impact. That impact is also difficult to escape short of moving to another country or carefully controlling your exposure.

The fourth set of parts relates to your character. Do you have a strong interest in philosophy and asking deep questions? Is introspection routine for you, and are you mindful of your own biases? Are you curious and inquisitive about the world around you? Does critical thinking come naturally to you?

In essence, what you need to be able to do is paradigm shift. More specifically, you need to be able to be the architect of your own house. This takes a level of mindfulness and focus that not everybody has, and it is made more or less challenging by the environmental factors noted above. It's a process of deliberate deprogramming and substitution. You have to recognize what your current paradigm is, and also learn to spot the paradigms in others. And often, you have to face the realities of being a cultural minority and the challenges that has. It is a process that can take time.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
is it really possible to become entirely free of doctrine you were exposed to

I think it is extremely difficult for many people, especially things that were ingrained as habits. For example, I rejected Christian theology, soteriology, and the Christian God long ago, but even as a Hindu I still find myself saying "Jesus Christ!" as an expletive, even though he means nothing to me. I might as well say "Joseph Stalin!". I shouldn't be using expletives at all, but it's a bad habit I learned over a lifetime.