• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Desire Justify Need?

tomspug

Absorbant
If you have a natural desire for something, does that necessarily justify gratification of that desire?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Not in all cases. A pedophile has a natural desire for sex with pre-pubescent children, but the harm done should trump the gratification.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
If you have a natural desire for something, does that necessarily justify gratification of that desire?

So long as we are not talking about psychotic desires, such as a burning need to go on a killing spree, I think that a healthy human being should feel good about themselves enough to know how to enjoy and reward themselves in appropriate context.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So long as we are not talking about psychotic desires, such as a burning need to go on a killing spree, I think that a healthy human being should feel good about themselves enough to know how to enjoy and reward themselves in appropriate context.
So, the question becomes, are we omitting pschotic desires from the conversation? I think the op's usage of "necessarily" implies that we're not, but I'll wait for Tom's clarification.

tomspug

Absorbant
So, if there are certain desires that should not be satisfied, how do we define them? Is it contextual (perhaps the desires are OK, as long as no harm is caused to another person) or do we define them based on the nature itself (the source of the desire)?

tomspug

Absorbant
So, the question becomes, are we omitting pschotic desires from the conversation? I think the op's usage of "necessarily" implies that we're not, but I'll wait for Tom's clarification.
If psychotic implies that there is something WRONG with the brain, than I would omit it from the conversation. If it implies the grotesque or horrifying, than no.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So, if there are certain desires that should not be satisfied, how do we define them? Is it contextual (perhaps the desires are OK, as long as no harm is caused to another person) or do we define them based on the nature itself (the source of the desire)?
I would go with contextual.

I don't see how the latter option would work, though. Could you elaborate?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
If psychotic implies that there is something WRONG with the brain, than I would omit it from the conversation. If it implies the grotesque or horrifying, than no.
How do we know that something is wrong with the brain, though? (I'm assuming you mean physically.)

tomspug

Absorbant
I would go with contextual.

I don't see how the latter option would work, though. Could you elaborate?
One might argue that a grown man's desire for engaging sexually with a child would NEVER justify itself. A pacifist might argue that malice is never justified. In these cases, context is irrelevant.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So, if there are certain desires that should not be satisfied, how do we define them?
Ones that cause suffering.[/quote]
Is it contextual (perhaps the desires are OK, as long as no harm is caused to another person)
I wouldn't use the word "contextual" there.[qutoe] or do we define them based on the nature itself (the source of the desire)?[/quote] No, not the source. Desires that will cause harm should not be gratified. Duh.

tomspug

Absorbant
How do we know that something is wrong with the brain, though? (I'm assuming you mean physically.)
Well, I guess that's partially a matter of opinion. But I hope you can agree that certain mental syndromes are unhealthy (and yes, I meant physically).

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
One might argue that a grown man's desire for engaging sexually with a child would NEVER justify itself.
I don't think the word "context" helps clarify. We assume that all sexual contact with children is harmful to them, so we consider that a desire that should not be gratified.
A pacifist might argue that malice is never justified. In these cases, context is irrelevant.
I think that a pacifist believes that violence is always harmful.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

Ah.. what? :D

I'll simplify.. a burning desire to punch someone who crosses you isnt cool. allowing yourself to indulge yourself with a cold brewsky after a long day at work or in the sun just because *you feel like it* is very normal.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Whether something is natural or not has no impact on whether it is moral or not (either way). Considering the harm that may occur seems a very reasonable way to approach this question.

tomspug

Absorbant
Ah.. what? :D

I'll simplify.. a burning desire to punch someone who crosses you isnt cool. allowing yourself to indulge yourself with a cold brewsky after a long day at work or in the sun just because *you feel like it* is very normal.
Couldn't have put it better! :) I'm often too wordy for my own good.

I'll simplify. Can all desires be satisfied in a moral manner?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
One might argue that a grown man's desire for engaging sexually with a child would NEVER justify itself.
How? Without the context of harm, what's wrong with the desire itself?

A pacifist might argue that malice is never justified.
It could also be argued that the desire itself contains no malice.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, I guess that's partially a matter of opinion. But I hope you can agree that certain mental syndromes are unhealthy (and yes, I meant physically).
Of course. But "unhealthy" isn't limited to organic defects.

*has a hunch tomspug is getting ready to make an anti-homosexuality argument*
If HE does, I'll be sorely disappointed in him. However, there are posters on the board from whom I expect it. :(

Couldn't have put it better! :) I'm often too wordy for my own good.

I'll simplify. Can all desires be satisfied in a moral manner?
Of course not.