• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Deism change anything in one's life?

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Forgive me if something like this has been asked before, you can simply leave a link in this case and I might follow with additional questions. Also, can I specify I'd be more interested in a perspective of Deism by itself, not Christian Deism or something like that (curious about these concepts too but it's not this thread's purpose).

Some context, coming from a nebulous agnostic background, I don't really know how believing a deist god would change anything significantly. I've never been taught religion or prayed growing up.

If a person has a similar background to mine, would their life be exactly the same? What would be different? Does a Deist god influence something about the person's life? Is it a mindset that colour's one's perception of life and the universe? Does it help, somehow?

I hope you don't take these questions the wrong way, it's in no way accusatory or challenging Deism. I'm simply curious, since it is a concept I do not oppose.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Some context, coming from a nebulous agnostic background, I don't really know how believing a deist god would change anything significantly. I've never been taught religion or prayed growing up.
Speaking only for myself. ...
From the perspective you describe it wouldn't change much at all. I often describe myself as an atheist or nontheist because deism isn't even relevant to most conversations about religion or social issues.
Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I know this is a DIR but I misread your heading and I thought you said: "Does Deism Charge Anything..." I'm thinking: "There's an entrance fee?"

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Does Deism change anything in one's life?

I think the OP pointed out the same observation that I have made about Deism. I do not see how it effects a believer's life any differently than would an agnostic/atheist worldview.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way. It's not about whether it makes a difference in one's life, but whether it's true. if one comes to the conclusion that a God is the first cause and set the world in motion, then one believes it and goes on with one's life. It doesn't need to affect or improve one's life.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
...I don't really know how believing a deist god would change anything significantly. I've never been taught religion or prayed growing up.

Deism is not about worshiping God in a church with other people, singing hymns and going through rituals. It is about a personal belief in God as the creator, and that belief is harmonious with science and understanding. Deism answers the question of "what caused the Big Bang," which would be God. Science has yet to answer the question. That is the biggest difference between deism and atheism. Everything else is pretty much on par with each other between the two camps. Deism is for those that believe in a God that has a non-interventionist approach to our daily lives. We make our own choices, nature does its thing, and time marches on.

If a person has a similar background to mine, would their life be exactly the same? What would be different? Does a Deist god influence something about the person's life? Is it a mindset that colour's one's perception of life and the universe? Does it help, somehow?

The traditional deist perspective is that God does not intervene, which is why bad things happen to even the most spiritual and benevolent people. In other words, sh*t just happens. So why believe in a deity that has nothing to do with us? Because we choose to. We view purpose and design in creation, not randomness. It is for that reason that we choose to believe in God the creator.

Some deists even pray to God, but those prayers are not about asking for stuff, because we know that those prayers won't be answered. Our prayers are ones out of reverence to the creator for giving us life and the world we live on. Very simple.

In short, deism does not change a person's life outside of perhaps giving them an answer to the Big Bang or freeing them from some organized religion while allowing them to continue to worship/honor God as the creator. Although the latter can be a HUGE change and burden lifted off one's psyche.

Addendum: so is the deist God the same God as Christianity, Judaism or even Islam? God is God. It is human additions to the concept that define the different religions.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way. It's not about whether it makes a difference in one's life, but whether it's true. if one comes to the conclusion that a God is the first cause and set the world in motion, then one believes it and goes on with one's life. It doesn't need to affect or improve one's life.

I don't disagree, but I've never found a way to know what is the truth.

@Neo Deist Thank you for your explanation and thorough answer. I guess maybe there's a bit of a difference in the perception of life. For instance, I think there's purpose but that it's up to the individual to define it. I'm not sure about there being a higher purpose or design, since I don't know if a deity exists. I can see why someone might pray to god, as to give thanks for the life given, it's an opportunity. One that can be good, bad or a mix of both but that is probably another thought and question.

So on that thought, I imagine you probably have written already about some other things I wanted to look at (why did the deity create the universe, why it has bad things in it, relation to religions humans made, etc.) so if I don't find them, I might ask you and others supplemental questions.

Rational Agnostic

Deism is not about worshiping God in a church with other people, singing hymns and going through rituals. It is about a personal belief in God as the creator, and that belief is harmonious with science and understanding. Deism answers the question of "what caused the Big Bang," which would be God. Science has yet to answer the question. That is the biggest difference between deism and atheism. Everything else is pretty much on par with each other between the two camps. Deism is for those that believe in a God that has a non-interventionist approach to our daily lives. We make our own choices, nature does its thing, and time marches on.

The traditional deist perspective is that God does not intervene, which is why bad things happen to even the most spiritual and benevolent people. In other words, sh*t just happens. So why believe in a deity that has nothing to do with us? Because we choose to. We view purpose and design in creation, not randomness. It is for that reason that we choose to believe in God the creator.

Some deists even pray to God, but those prayers are not about asking for stuff, because we know that those prayers won't be answered. Our prayers are ones out of reverence to the creator for giving us life and the world we live on. Very simple.

In short, deism does not change a person's life outside of perhaps giving them an answer to the Big Bang or freeing them from some organized religion while allowing them to continue to worship/honor God as the creator. Although the latter can be a HUGE change and burden lifted off one's psyche.

Addendum: so is the deist God the same God as Christianity, Judaism or even Islam? God is God. It is human additions to the concept that define the different religions.

I like deism a lot. Nonetheless, it is still an unprovable and unfalsifiable philosophy based primarily upon emotion (fear of dealing with the unknown as to what brought the universe into existence). I choose to avoid making assertions or declaring belief in propositions that I cannot demonstrate to be true.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I like deism a lot. Nonetheless, it is still an unprovable and unfalsifiable philosophy based primarily upon emotion (fear of dealing with the unknown as to what brought the universe into existence). I choose to avoid making assertions or declaring belief in propositions that I cannot demonstrate to be true.

God can neither be proven nor disproven. Deism does not concern itself on defining God or adhering to a certain dogma. Nor is it based on fear of anything. If there is an afterlife, it is up to God whether or not to send me there. Hopefully living a good life as a moral person would suffice. If not, it is beyond my control and thus I do not concern myself with it.

Deism is also very flexible. Other religions tend to be rigid and unmoving. If science proves something, so be it. Deists accept it, go grab a cup of coffee and read the sports page of the paper. :shrug:

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I don't disagree, but I've never found a way to know what is the truth.

@Neo Deist Thank you for your explanation and thorough answer. I guess maybe there's a bit of a difference in the perception of life. For instance, I think there's purpose but that it's up to the individual to define it. I'm not sure about there being a higher purpose or design, since I don't know if a deity exists. I can see why someone might pray to god, as to give thanks for the life given, it's an opportunity. One that can be good, bad or a mix of both but that is probably another thought and question.

So on that thought, I imagine you probably have written already about some other things I wanted to look at (why did the deity create the universe, why it has bad things in it, relation to religions humans made, etc.) so if I don't find them, I might ask you and others supplemental questions.

NP...ask away! I have a whole slew of posts on this DIR.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Nonetheless, it is still an unprovable and unfalsifiable philosophy based primarily upon emotion (fear of dealing with the unknown as to what brought the universe into existence).

It has nothing to do with emotion. Deism is based on personal observation of nature/cosmos. But we are not going to debate that in this DIR.