• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does consciousness change the rules of quantum mechanics?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

The author has a PhD in astrophysics which is reflected in the article itself. Of course some of the points in that article could be controversial but I found them in alignment with what I know of a current frontier of physics. And the article includes various links to real experiments with modest statements about the meaning of the studies. So the question asked by the article is a real question that has not been answered as of yet.
  • In the past few years, scientists have shown that macroscopic objects can be subjected to quantum entanglement.
  • Pondering the limits of quantum entanglement allows us to consider how quantum mechanics can be unified with physics on a larger scale.
  • There might be something unique about our role as conscious observers of the world around us.
This is the fourth article in a four-part series on quantum entanglement. In the first, we discussed the basics of quantum entanglement. We then discussed how quantum entanglement can be used practically in communications and sensing. In this article, we take a look at the limits of quantum entanglement, and how entanglement on the large scale might even challenge our very basis of reality.

Scientists have shown that macroscopic (albeit small) objects can be placed in entanglement. It begs the question: Is there a size limit for quantum entanglement? Carrying the idea further, could a person become entangled, along with their consciousness?

Asking these questions not only lets us probe the limits of quantum mechanics, but it could also lead us to a unified theory of physics — one that works equally well for anything from electrons to planets.

In 2020, scientists at the University of Brisbane in Australia expanded upon Wigner’s Paradox to include quantum entanglement. Not only that, they actually put it to the test. Their experiment asked the question: Can observers agree upon one “truth”?
We might never reach the stage where we could perform such an experiment, but thinking about it raises several interesting questions. Why is what we believe about how the world works inconsistent with quantum mechanics? Is there an objective reality, even on the macroscopic scale? Or is what you see different than what I see? Do we have a choice in what we do?

At least one thing is for sure: We are not seeing the whole picture. Maybe our understanding of quantum mechanics is incomplete, or maybe something changes when we scale it to the macroscopic world. But perhaps our role as conscious observers of the world around us is, indeed, unique.

exchemist

Veteran Member

The author has a PhD in astrophysics which is reflected in the article itself. Of course some of the points in that article could be controversial but I found them in alignment with what I know of a current frontier of physics. And the article includes various links to real experiments with modest statements about the meaning of the studies. So the question asked by the article is a real question that has not been answered as of yet.

• In the past few years, scientists have shown that macroscopic objects can be subjected to quantum entanglement.
    • Pondering the limits of quantum entanglement allows us to consider how quantum mechanics can be unified with physics on a larger scale.
    • There might be something unique about our role as conscious observers of the world around us.
This is the fourth article in a four-part series on quantum entanglement. In the first, we discussed the basics of quantum entanglement. We then discussed how quantum entanglement can be used practically in communications and sensing. In this article, we take a look at the limits of quantum entanglement, and how entanglement on the large scale might even challenge our very basis of reality.

Scientists have shown that macroscopic (albeit small) objects can be placed in entanglement. It begs the question: Is there a size limit for quantum entanglement? Carrying the idea further, could a person become entangled, along with their consciousness?

Asking these questions not only lets us probe the limits of quantum mechanics, but it could also lead us to a unified theory of physics — one that works equally well for anything from electrons to planets.

In 2020, scientists at the University of Brisbane in Australia expanded upon Wigner’s Paradox to include quantum entanglement. Not only that, they actually put it to the test. Their experiment asked the question: Can observers agree upon one “truth”?
We might never reach the stage where we could perform such an experiment, but thinking about it raises several interesting questions. Why is what we believe about how the world works inconsistent with quantum mechanics? Is there an objective reality, even on the macroscopic scale? Or is what you see different than what I see? Do we have a choice in what we do?

At least one thing is for sure: We are not seeing the whole picture. Maybe our understanding of quantum mechanics is incomplete, or maybe something changes when we scale it to the macroscopic world. But perhaps our role as conscious observers of the world around us is, indeed, unique.
I hate this sort of thing. QM doesn't give consciousness a special role. It is interaction that makes the properties of a QM entity definite, not consciousness. I've said this before but I'll repeat it: does anyone really suppose a QM system behaves differently when the experimenter goes off to get a cup of coffee? If so, what happens when the system is "observed" by the laboratory cat? Or by a passing wasp? It's absurd.

Wigner and Schrödinger got a bit mystical about it in the early days but the modern consensus, as I understand it, is that interaction is the key, not whether or not a conscious observer is present.

exchemist

Veteran Member
"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics"
Richard P Feynman
Yes but that does not mean that there cannot be wrong ideas about it. To deny that is a woomeister's charter, cf. Deepak Chopra.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never quite understood why conscious observers are supposed to make a difference. After all, in the Wigner's friend experiment, the 'observers' are photons. I should note that the experiment was actually done and the predictions of QM were verified. So this is NOT pure theory. it is reality.

In other words, we have a description of what will happen. It gives correct results. It just violates our intuitions.

OK, that just means our intuitions need to change to fit reality.

But yes, quantum mechanics is strange. It is NOT a classical theory where all objects have definite properties at all times, follow definite paths, or where classical causality applies. All that Wigner's friend shows is that the 'collapse' of a wave function isn't a single event. It is closer to being a distribution of information. Which means it happens at different times in different locations.

And that is the case even if the 'observers' are not conscious.

The problem with entangling macroscopic systems is that the entanglement is *very* delicate. it is easily destroyed. This is one of the challenges in quantum computing: how to keep the things entangled that we want to keep entangled.

So, yes, I expect that even humans can be entangled in some situations, but that the entanglement will decay very rapidly (look up decoherence theory).

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics"
Richard P Feynman

Which is always pointed out by people who never actually studied quantum mechanics.

Also, it should be noted that Feynman understood enough to create a description of quantum electrodynamics that agrees with all observations that have ever been made.

Maybe, just maybe, people are not quite understanding what he meant in that quote?

QM is NOT a classical theory. In it, things do not have definite properties at all times, nor do they take specific paths, nor does classical causality apply. If you can only 'understand' by using those notions, then you will never understand QM.

But that doesn't mean that we can't formulate *new* intuitions about what happens in QM. It doesn't mean that we can't use QM to make accurate predictions of what will happen in the 'real world'. And it doesn't mean that everything people say about QM is correct.

I'm not sure what else is required to 'understand'.

Yes but that does not mean that there cannot be wrong ideas about it. To deny that is a woomeister's charter, cf. Deepak Chopra.

Yes, there are a LOT of people that read in very strange woo and think QM supports their views. Usually, it does not.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
We are not seeing the whole picture.
(from Advaita Vedanta (nondual=God and creation are not-two) philosophy).

Brahman/God/Consciousness is fundamental and the material is a derivative of Consciousness.

The universe is a thoughtform of the creative aspect of Brahman. It is created by and takes the form of this thought. Ultimately matter follows Conscious thought.

Science assumes natural laws govern the behavior of matter (and consciousness is some later derivative of matter). Advaita predicts the deeper this type of science goes the more baffling things will become. Ultimately. they will find only Consciousness/Brahman.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Which is always pointed out by people who never actually studied quantum mechanics.

Also, it should be noted that Feynman understood enough to create a description of quantum electrodynamics that agrees with all observations that have ever been made.

Maybe, just maybe, people are not quite understanding what he meant in that quote?
Feynman was quite the humorist (a fellow limericist).
So I infer a joke about "understanding", ie, just accept
what is observed, even if it seems nonsensical in light
of our experience in the macro world.
"Familiarity" is perhaps an alternative term to "understanding".

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The point is that since entanglement has been observed at the macro level, we can conduct a thought experiment on what it might mean for consciousness to be entangled and how such entanglement might impact something that can be observed.

Bird123

Truly there is more that we don't know than do. The answer is that we have not Discovered it all yet. We must press on with our studies. One thing I do know. There are always more doors to open and more to discover.

Years ago a statistical scientist figured out that the universe was not old enough for random chance to have formed everything. On the other hand, if the universe was like a computer program, there was enough time.

I see God as creating the universe to run like a giant computer program. It unfolds in such a way mankind will be able to figure it all out in time. It's just like a seed can grow into a giant tree.

I see such things like evolution, fractals, and quantum entanglement to be part of this computer program. Who can even guess how many more parts one is missing to see?

I see the quantum entanglement as being the part that keeps the program from being corrupted. No matter what anyone does, things are entangled. They can't be changed. I guess I'll have to work harder on my Universe corrupting virus. It's going to be a big job to make. OK! OK! Moving on.

Quantum physics points to the possibility of many dimensions existing. In a dimension without time, one would be eternal.

The interface for all these dimensions must be at the subatomic level. This is why Quantum physics is such a hard thing. It's hard to understand when we are seeing so very much information meshed together. Why even time is not understood as it should. How many different rates of time are there in the universe? It's unlimited, yet don't we see time as being the same for all?

We are Spiritual beings in our true natures. As Spiritual beings, there are no limits for one through out existence, including the infinite number of dimensions. On the other hand, we are trapped within a physical body. This traps us within the physical laws of this universe. Sometimes it's hard to understand things looking out from within a bottle, however that is the task at hand.

We are all Spiritual beings in our true natures. We are Consciousness itself. When they suggest that consciousness alters quantum physics in a way, this might be true. You see, our Spiritual self, which can access everything could make a difference at WHAT IS even if we are trapped within a physical body.

Yes, I know it's hard, however we are meant to Discover it all. God hides nothing. God also makes us Discover it all on our own. God doesn't just give us all those answers. We will acquire Great Wisdom on our journeys to Discover it all. No doubt things will be interesting.

That's what I see. On the other hand, there is so very much yet for me to Discover!!! I am working on it. I'll let you know when everything is really clear!!

exchemist

Veteran Member
The point is that since entanglement has been observed at the macro level, we can conduct a thought experiment on what it might mean for consciousness to be entangled and how such entanglement might impact something that can be observed.

If there's anything in the linked article about consciousness being entangled I must I have missed it. Where do you see this?

So far as I can see, what it says is consistent with the idea that the QM description of a system depends on the informational frame of reference. For instance, in the Schrödinger's Cat scenario, the wave function of the system before opening the box, in the frame of reference outside the box, contains both the living cat and the dead cat. But from the cat's frame of reference inside the box, the applicable wave function will be different: it is either dead or alive but not both. So there can be more than one wave function for a given system, depending on the informational frame of reference.

We have got used to the idea in relativity that measurements of length and clock speed depend on the spatial frame of reference. A conscious observer does not need to be present for these effects to be present. It seems to be a similar sort of thing in QM.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If there's anything in the linked article about consciousness being entangled I must I have missed it. Where do you see this?

So far as I can see, what it says is consistent with the idea that the QM description of a system depends on the informational frame of reference. For instance, in the Schrödinger's Cat scenario, the wave function of the system before opening the box, in the frame of reference outside the box, contains both the living cat and the dead cat. But from the cat's frame of reference inside the box, the applicable wave function will be different: it is either dead or alive but not both. So there can be more than one wave function for a given system, depending on the informational frame of reference.

We have got used to the idea in relativity that measurements of length and clock speed depend on the spatial frame of reference. A conscious observer does not need to be present for these effects to be present. It seems to be a similar sort of thing in QM.
Titles of articles are often click bait and quite often not written by the author. The author of the title could easily have been an editor that did not even read the article.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We have got used to the idea in relativity that measurements of length and clock speed depend on the spatial frame of reference. A conscious observer does not need to be present for these effects to be present. It seems to be a similar sort of thing in QM
It is fundamentally and radically different.

To oversimplify:
In relativity, with two observers in some version of some classic thought experiment, we have Alice and Bob moving relative to one another, but both believing themselves to be at rest. An easy example is some kind of moving lab or train car or rocket. We'll compromise, and go with a see-through, reinforced one-way glass train car lab. So Alice is in this train lab, and can't see out. Bob's outside, and can see in. there's a light source (emitter) on the floor and a reflector on the lab roof.
Bob sees Alice as moving relative to him. Alice would see Bob moving the other way. When Alice and Bob "pass" one another, light is emitted, travels up to the lab roof, is reflected back down, and the total time is recorded by both Bob and Alice.

Here's the problem: For Alice, the distance was twice the height of her lab. For Bob, who sees the whole lab in motion, the distance was longer. Both measure light traveling the same speed. So both measure light traveling over the same [distance] per [time], but where one sees the distance as greater and the time shorter, the other has the reverse.

In relativity, there is a central, objective FACT that the entire framework is based around: that the speed of light is not additive and does not depend upon the emitter. But speed involves two different dimensions: distance and time.

HENCE: the disagreement is because different observers AGREE about something fundamental. Which is why there is always symmetry in the disagreements: length contraction never occurs in both reference frames, same for time dilation.

In QM, none of this holds. The Extended Wigner's Friend experiments that have been fleshed out over the past two decades in a variety of theoretical and empirical ways show quite clearly that it is extremely difficult to make sense out of quantum predictions from different perspectives, exactly the opposite as in relativity.

In other words, such findings have two observers disagreeing about the same supposedly objective facts. There is no symmetry, no "well, whenever we both measure canonically conjugate observables, one of us will observe momentum contraction and the other position dilation" not just because these terms make no sense but more importantly because they aren't both defined for the same system.

This again is radically different from relativity. The entire reason we can disagree about distances and time intervals is because we can both deterimine both properties of the same system, and then use the constancy of light to resolve the differences

In QM, the observer gets treated differently. The dynamical evolution of the system is treated differently and obeys different rules depending upon whether or not it is an observer.

And this is at the heart of the extended Wigner's friend and Bell test experiments. The assumption that there exist actual properties of systems somehow that are definitive and (for Wigner's Friend and Extended Wigner's friend) are actually determined using the rules of QM lead to contradictions.

The predictions of quantum theory do not yield consistent results if we try to take both observers as somehow equal in the way possible in relativity.

So far as I can see, what it says is consistent with the idea that the QM description of a system depends on the informational frame of reference.

Frauchiger, D., & Renner, R. (2018). Quantum theory cannot consistently describe the use of itself. Nature communications, 9(1), 1-10.

For instance, in the Schrödinger's Cat scenario, the wave function of the system before opening the box, in the frame of reference outside the box, contains both the living cat and the dead cat. But from the cat's frame of reference inside the box, the applicable wave function will be different: it is either dead or alive but not both.

There is no applicable wave-function inside the box. That's the benefit of Wigner's friend: Instead of a cat that can't be in either state, we have an experimenter who prepares a state and makes a measurement measurement. Outside, another experimenter uses the same quantum mechanics to treat experiment (along with experimenter, outcome, etc.) as a state and then has a choice of how to proceed: obtain information from the in-the-box experimenter or make a measurement of the entangled description.
This is impossible in practice, but can be reformulated as was done with EPR(B) by Bell. So that we can see if the two methods of looking at the experimental outcome from the different perspectives can be made to agree. Instead, they contradict one another.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Whenever the words "quantum" and "consciousness" appear together in a sentence or headline one question immediately comes to my mind: "Deepak, is that you?".

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've never quite understood why conscious observers are supposed to make a difference. After all, in the Wigner's friend experiment, the 'observers' are photons. I should note that the experiment was actually done and the predictions of QM were verified. So this is NOT pure theory. it is reality.
The point is the predictions of QM require two fundamentally different types of state update/evolution for the same system, only one of which we have empirical access (loosely speaking).
And the entire point was to formulate scenarios and then experiments to test to see if the predictions of QM held. And they do, in the sense that if one allows the privileged status of observer, one avoids paradox. That's a problem. And it's shown by using the "correct" predictions of QM for two different "observers". These predictions cannot agree. Since we can't put prepare a lab+experimenter in an actual superposition state (any more than we can prepare a dead/alive cat), but we can prepare systems that can yield contradictory results depending upon measurement choice and we CAN now device experiments which allow use to empirically detect these contradictions (in a manner similar to the Bell tests of whether or not a singlet state with two systems arbitrarily far apart had defined properties before the measurement of either)

In other words, we have a description of what will happen. It gives correct results. It just violates our intuitions.
It gives contradicting results. That's the point.

All that Wigner's friend shows is that the 'collapse' of a wave function isn't a single event. It is closer to being a distribution of information. Which means it happens at different times in different locations.
This makes it internally incoherent, but it isn't how the theory is structured or used anyway. And no, the state update/reduction or collapse is NOT like a distribution of information and IS NOT something that CAN happen in different times. A central dogma of QM is that the entire edifice is rooted in the fact that a collapse is supposed to yield a definite, objective outcome. If it is true that is "closer to being a distribution of information" then it doesn't yield objective anything at any time. One can take such routes, as in QBism or Healey's pragmatism or information-theoretic interpretations or extreme denial of external, objective reality.
But that isn't the point here. The point is that the use of quantum mechanics to describe systems that can themselves provide a statistical or similar "memory" of "measurement" show that the standard use of QM to measure such systems yields inconsistencies and incorrect predictions.

In short, the predictions are "correct" in that we see the outcomes we'd expect to see from Wigner's friend if we asked Wigner's friend, and "correct" if we treated the system quantum mechanically (as we do all the time in practice) but these two predictions disagree.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The point is the predictions of QM require two fundamentally different types of state update/evolution for the same system, only one of which we have empirical access (loosely speaking).
And the entire point was to formulate scenarios and then experiments to test to see if the predictions of QM held. And they do, in the sense that if one allows the privileged status of observer, one avoids paradox. That's a problem. And it's shown by using the "correct" predictions of QM for two different "observers". These predictions cannot agree. Since we can't put prepare a lab+experimenter in an actual superposition state (any more than we can prepare a dead/alive cat), but we can prepare systems that can yield contradictory results depending upon measurement choice and we CAN now device experiments which allow use to empirically detect these contradictions (in a manner similar to the Bell tests of whether or not a singlet state with two systems arbitrarily far apart had defined properties before the measurement of either)

It gives contradicting results. That's the point.

No, it doesn't. It correctly predicts what each will detect. That is the point. In the experiment actually done, the results were precisely what QM predicted.

The problem is thinking that there is a definite answer that is observer independent.

A similar, but simpler, thing happens in relativity. From some perspectives, relativity gives 'contradicting results' since it can say that for two different observers, two events may be simultaneous for one, but not for the other.

it isn't a *real* contradiction, but it *looks* like one. that same thing happens in QM. It correctly predicts what will be observed. That can be different for different observers.

The fa ct that we can actually make experiments that show this dependence shows it is NOT contradictory, but rather that it violates our previous assumptions.

This makes it internally incoherent, but it isn't how the theory is structured or used anyway. And no, the state update/reduction or collapse is NOT like a distribution of information and IS NOT something that CAN happen in different times. A central dogma of QM is that the entire edifice is rooted in the fact that a collapse is supposed to yield a definite, objective outcome.
For each actual measurement. But measurements by different observers can clearly be different and still be predicted by QM.

If it is true that is "closer to being a distribution of information" then it doesn't yield objective anything at any time. One can take such routes, as in QBism or Healey's pragmatism or information-theoretic interpretations or extreme denial of external, objective reality.

And I would suggest that the collapse is observer dependent. That is fully consistent with QM and its formulation and agrees with observations.

Yes, QM says that external reality of often NOT objective in that measurements can differ between observers. But that is nothing new. And we already knew that there are not definite values for observables between measurements in QM. In a sense, that denies realism.

So, yes, QM denies realism to a certain degree. But just like it also denies determinism, there can still be realism at some level in many cases. We can make very specific predictions in most macroscopic cases, but clearly not all.

OK

But that isn't the point here. The point is that the use of quantum mechanics to describe systems that can themselves provide a statistical or similar "memory" of "measurement" show that the standard use of QM to measure such systems yields inconsistencies and incorrect predictions.

Which specific prediction was incorrect? Which observation did it predict that was wrong?

In short, the predictions are "correct" in that we see the outcomes we'd expect to see from Wigner's friend if we asked Wigner's friend, and "correct" if we treated the system quantum mechanically (as we do all the time in practice) but these two predictions disagree.

And they are for two different observers, so there is no contradiction. QM gives the correct answer in both cases.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It is fundamentally and radically different.

To oversimplify:
In relativity, with two observers in some version of some classic thought experiment, we have Alice and Bob moving relative to one another, but both believing themselves to be at rest. An easy example is some kind of moving lab or train car or rocket. We'll compromise, and go with a see-through, reinforced one-way glass train car lab. So Alice is in this train lab, and can't see out. Bob's outside, and can see in. there's a light source (emitter) on the floor and a reflector on the lab roof.
Bob sees Alice as moving relative to him. Alice would see Bob moving the other way. When Alice and Bob "pass" one another, light is emitted, travels up to the lab roof, is reflected back down, and the total time is recorded by both Bob and Alice.

Here's the problem: For Alice, the distance was twice the height of her lab. For Bob, who sees the whole lab in motion, the distance was longer. Both measure light traveling the same speed. So both measure light traveling over the same [distance] per [time], but where one sees the distance as greater and the time shorter, the other has the reverse.

Um, no. One sees both the distance and time as larger. The other sees both the distance and time to be smaller. That's the onlly way the ratio can be the same for both.

In relativity, there is a central, objective FACT that the entire framework is based around: that the speed of light is not additive and does not depend upon the emitter. But speed involves two different dimensions: distance and time.

HENCE: the disagreement is because different observers AGREE about something fundamental. Which is why there is always symmetry in the disagreements: length contraction never occurs in both reference frames, same for time dilation.

Wrong. Alice, in the train, sees the distance and time for *her* the light in the train as being smaller than what Bob measures.

But if Bob also has a light, he would measure both a smaller time and distance than Alice for BOB's light.

The relativity goes both ways. Each sees the other's measurements as dilated for things moving in the other system.

In QM, none of this holds. The Extended Wigner's Friend experiments that have been fleshed out over the past two decades in a variety of theoretical and empirical ways show quite clearly that it is extremely difficult to make sense out of quantum predictions from different perspectives, exactly the opposite as in relativity.

In other words, such findings have two observers disagreeing about the same supposedly objective facts. There is no symmetry, no "well, whenever we both measure canonically conjugate observables, one of us will observe momentum contraction and the other position dilation" not just because these terms make no sense but more importantly because they aren't both defined for the same system.

Which actual measurements do they disagree about? Do Wigner and Wigner's friend actually disagree about the spin when they get together to discuss the results? No. They only disagree about the time of the collapse.

This again is radically different from relativity. The entire reason we can disagree about distances and time intervals is because we can both deterimine both properties of the same system, and then use the constancy of light to resolve the differences

Um, no. There is no resolution in that sense. The results of one reference frame can be determined for the other reference frame by doing a Lorentz transformation. The actual measurments still disagree, we just have a way to translate between them.

In QM, the observer gets treated differently. The dynamical evolution of the system is treated differently and obeys different rules depending upon whether or not it is an observer.

And this is at the heart of the extended Wigner's friend and Bell test experiments. The assumption that there exist actual properties of systems somehow that are definitive and (for Wigner's Friend and Extended Wigner's friend) are actually determined using the rules of QM lead to contradictions.

Yes. QM says that things do not necessarily have definite properties. But that is old news.

The predictions of quantum theory do not yield consistent results if we try to take both observers as somehow equal in the way possible in relativity.

The disagreement is about the time of collapse. But which result of an actual measurement do they disagree about when they get together? There are measurements that one or the other saw as being in a superposition, and so undetermined, but no actual disagreement with actual results is ever the case.

Frauchiger, D., & Renner, R. (2018). Quantum theory cannot consistently describe the use of itself. Nature communications, 9(1), 1-10.

There is no applicable wave-function inside the box. That's the benefit of Wigner's friend: Instead of a cat that can't be in either state, we have an experimenter who prepares a state and makes a measurement measurement. Outside, another experimenter uses the same quantum mechanics to treat experiment (along with experimenter, outcome, etc.) as a state and then has a choice of how to proceed: obtain information from the in-the-box experimenter or make a measurement of the entangled description.

This is impossible in practice, but can be reformulated as was done with EPR(B) by Bell. So that we can see if the two methods of looking at the experimental outcome from the different perspectives can be made to agree. Instead, they contradict one another.

But what is the actual contradiction? What measurement, that they both agree is not a superposition, do they disagree about?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Um, no. One sees both the distance and time as larger. The other sees both the distance and time to be smaller. That's the onlly way the ratio can be the same for both.

Wrong. Alice, in the train, sees the distance and time for *her* the light in the train as being smaller than what Bob measures.

But if Bob also has a light, he would measure both a smaller time and distance than Alice for BOB's light.

The relativity goes both ways. Each sees the other's measurements as dilated for things moving in the other system.

Which actual measurements do they disagree about? Do Wigner and Wigner's friend actually disagree about the spin when they get together to discuss the results? No. They only disagree about the time of the collapse.

Um, no. There is no resolution in that sense. The results of one reference frame can be determined for the other reference frame by doing a Lorentz transformation. The actual measurments still disagree, we just have a way to translate between them.

Yes. QM says that things do not necessarily have definite properties. But that is old news.

The disagreement is about the time of collapse. But which result of an actual measurement do they disagree about when they get together? There are measurements that one or the other saw as being in a superposition, and so undetermined, but no actual disagreement with actual results is ever the case.

But what is the actual contradiction? What measurement, that they both agree is not a superposition, do they disagree about?
You two know more about this than I do, so I shall watch the discussion with interest.

I have picked up from Rovelli the idea that there can be more than one QM description of a given system, depending on the informational state* of the observer (who may be animate or inanimate , i.e. that which interacts with the system and thereby resolves its properties. (And also the idea that "real" properties only become manifest in interactions and can't be said to have a continuous existence in between.)

* It was me that chose to use the term informational frame of reference, seeking an analogy with relativity. Maybe that was misplaced.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's what comes after 6 hours of writing until 5AM for work. But the point is that time dilation and length contraction are
1) Both based on an invariant
2) Both deal with physical properties that can be measured by the same observers.

In other words, Alice (or whoever is in the train) "sees" light travel straight up and down, and Bob sees it traversing a triangular path, they both measure the same speed of light, which means that they must disagree over the distance and time in a particular way, and moreover a way that allows us to reformulate the relativity of mechanics into that automatically satisfied by (properly writing down) the equations of EM.

This is why Rovelli is so irritating here. And it's not just me. As he's become more involved in quantum foundations, the kind of slipshod approach that is basically required in quantum gravity becomes a serious hinderance. If you try to correct your critics in the literature by saying that you mean X not Y, and then fail to keep to your own terms, usages, or claims a few paragraphs down, then the conflation of one fundamentally different type of observer disagreement with whether or not there can be observer independent properties when the theory predicts "no" (recall that these extensions and tests to Wigner's friend are akin to what Bell did to Bohm's reformulation of EPR- make it into something that can be empirically tested because we can't even assert that single experiments in QM are actually meaningful without running into objections raised by those like Ballentine on the one hand or the intellectual descendants of Bohr (or of Wheeler) on the other (and there are several more "other hands" here).

I'm assuming "sees" here means "considers"?

Wrong. First, in the realization linked to (Liefer calls this "Wigner's enemy") the friend was a bit of information that could be reversed or erased using e.g., weak measurements or partial measurements and something like spontaneous parametric down-conversion.

This is the scenario:

First, recall Bell's reformulation of Bohm's version of EPR: you have some (not necessarily quantum) two-level or bipartite system that becomes space-like and time-like separated. It could be two correlated particles with spin that decayed from a spin-0 particle, or two envelopes with notes saying "Yes" for one and "No" for the other. It doesn't matter. The idea is to have a common source for the "information" sent to two "labs" such that, when the "information" gets there Alice can open her envelope or measure polarization or whatever. So can Bob.

Now, Bell then assumes that there are parameters λi (e.g., λ1 and λ2) such that, whether or not we can determine what the parameters represents or if they can be measured or just about anything, we can determine that it is at least possible to explain the correlations that between Alice and Bob's measurements by a local source (the original system that generated the "information" sent in the form of envelopes or what have you).

Then pick a useful relation between the measurement outcomes for your purposes (or one determined empirically). See if it can be explained in terms of these hidden parameters. For the case even of many quantum systems, there is a way to reproduce the correlations classically. You can show that, in order to have no classical explanation, you must violate an inequality generated e.g., by a set of assumptions that include object definiteness, which is to say that while we may not know which envelope contains the card with "Yes" vs. "No" or |0> vs. |1>, the system had this property and the correlations are due to the original, local interaction.

Then Bell shows that using tripartite quantum spin systems one can violate such an inequality. In other words, no such λ's can exist.

In the Bell-type Wigner's friend, or at least this one (Brukner's is a bit different, and Renner's is so different it doesn't involve Bell-type statistics at all), the friends Charlie and Debbie are the two systems that would correspond to the decayed atoms or envelops. The measurement settings Alice and Bob pick (x and y) are the local hidden variables. The outcomes A and B are the same as in the Bell set-up, corresponding to Alice's and Bob's measurements, respectively.

Now, you make the assumptions that the conditional probability of reversing/erasing the "friends" measurement is the same at least approximately the same as them not making measurements: the probability P_under reversal "undoing" the friends measurement_ (A, B|x,y) is roughly equal to the probability P_no Charlie or Debbie_(A,B|x,y)

That is, you assume that you can choose to use Charlie or Debbie's measurement or not, but if you choose not to allow them to measure (experimentally realized by not having the measured photon interact with "Debbie" or "Bob" via that path), then you should be able to treat this as if they didn't interact with the system. That is, if you don't measure the photon produced via no spontaneous parametric downconversion that takes the D or C route, or rather you erase the path/information such that it is as if you are simply making a standard measurement, then it shouldn't matter that D or C existed as a route at all. You should be able to assign truth values (akin to the object definitiveness from Bell experiments) to your own measurements. If your measurement uses information about the Charlie and/or Debbie path, then then you should still have (and will have) a definite output for that case (x & y both are 1) while for other values the choice is made to erase the photon from the SPD that interacted with the C & D path, measure the ones that didn't, and obtain a definite outcome consistent with this operational procedure.

You can't. It doesn't work.

You can't get disagreements about the actual results (which is why Rovelli is continuing to dig himself into this whole that I wish he would stop), which is why Rovelli's relativity analogy breaks down completely. You can't perform the measurements of the same system. In the classical Wigner scenerio, you get one result if you ask the friend, and another if you put the friend into a superposition state.

For many physicists, basically all measurements in QM that attempt to determine something like the state of the system in the sense discussed here are contradictions to QM. That's because in QM, evolution is unitary. The projection postulate, Born's rule, collapse, reduction, or even "update" are all non-unitary and are ad hoc. They contradict the predictions for the dynamics of all systems in QM. .We don't say, that of course (unless we subscribe to a no-collapse interpretation). We say that measurement involves a different process, and sweep under the rug the fact that the probabilities that we use when we claim that a measurement outcome is predicted by QM come from an ensemble of measurement degrees of freedom that can't (unlike classical ensembles) be decomposed even in principle into the statistics of single states/measurements.

In short, we have to use a series of ingenious methods and measurement schemes for each different system in order to be able to talk about the probabilities associated with it, but these are determined not by QM (which, again, describes systems via unitary evolution or in the more general operational approach in terms of CPTP maps, where we likewise replace the states with density operators and the projection-valued measurements with POVMs). So we have "predictions" QM makes that we determine by using QM right up until we extract information. Because we don't have a theory that accounts for measurements, we can't use QM without being able to talk about measurements, we get a contradiction if we treat the measuring device quantum-mechanically (that's what Wigner's friend is about, except that it is intended to be more drastic), so we simply tack on another type of state evolution to quantum theory.

Put more simply, we can pretend there is no contradiction, and then simply see what the measurement outcome would be if we treated the mesurement apparatus quantum mechanically the way we would if we treated it like one in the lab: in terms of the Hilbert ray we'd obtain from the product of the Hilbert spaces and rays corresponding to System (tensor product) Apparatus.
That's Schrödinger's cat and Wigner's friend. QM predicts something never seen. Hence, it contradicts itself.

Or we don't say that and we think about measurement as part of QM that we haven't worked out yet. One way to go about this is to try to think about how the measurement process works, generalize it to an operational framework that can be used without deciding on an interpretation, and then apply it in the development of no-go theorems and the like as well as their experimental realizations.

Depends. Firstly, if one is talking about the Frauchiger-Renner experiment, then it is about self-measurement (an extension of the Deutsch version). If it is the standard EWFS of Brukner, then the actual measurements will disagree as this version is about obtaining information from the friend that we can later compare (in principle). In the classic Wigner's friend, the only way we wouldn't get a contradiction is if two friends walked out of two labs with both outcomes (or, more friends, labs, and outcomes). In the Griffith version, the contradiction is in the ability to assert if an event is observed, it happened.