• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Confession Help Us?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I think talking about our problems and struggles with other people can be beneficial. I wouldn't call it confession though.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Confession (whether to a priest, a policeman or a psychoanalyst) acts as an emotional catharsis, making one feel better--at least temporarily.

Iacobus

Recent studies have shown that Confession is good insofar as it makes us relize that we are responible for what we did. The mind betters grasps that after confession to anyone.

Scott1

1486 The forgiveness of sins committed after Baptism is conferred by a particular sacrament called the sacrament of conversion, confession, penance, or reconciliation.

1491 The sacrament of Penance is a whole consisting in three actions of the penitent and the priest's absolution. The penitent's acts are repentance, confession or disclosure of sins to the priest, and the intention to make reparation and do works of reparation.

1496 The spiritual effects of the sacrament of Penance are:
- reconciliation with God by which the penitent recovers grace;
- reconciliation with the Church;
- remission of the eternal punishment incurred by mortal sins;
- remission, at least in part, of temporal punishments resulting from sin;
- peace and serenity of conscience, and spiritual consolation;
- an increase of spiritual strength for the Christian battle.

1455 The confession (or disclosure) of sins, even from a simply human point of view, frees us and facilitates our reconciliation with others. Through such an admission man looks squarely at the sins he is guilty of, takes responsibility for them, and thereby opens himself again to God and to the communion of the Church in order to make a new future possible.

Amalcas

Confessing to someone that you have done wrong (so that you may receive the appropriate justice) I would find beneficial. However, confession to a human for the purpose of absolution I do not think is healthy, as a fallible being, while they may help us, cannot forgive us for God.

"Bring thyself to account each day, ere thou art broguth to a reckoning."

Doc

Space Chief
I prefer saying my confessions directly to God. Then I know for sure that God is hearing it directly from me. Yet sometimes it just feels better for us to hear those words. "You are fogiven"!

Lightkeeper

Part of twelve step programs is telling your sponsor all of the things you think you have done wrong, then you take steps to right the wrongs when it won't be more harmful to do so. Then you ask for forgiveness. I agree that this is to become aware of what you do and to take responsibility for them. It is also very much taking the log out of your own eye. This process is very humbling and in the long run you get your ego out of the way. I think confession is essential to anyone's path, whether religious or not.

robtex

Veteran Member
Iacobus said:
Recent studies have shown that Confession is good insofar as it makes us relize that we are responible for what we did. The mind betters grasps that after confession to anyone.

Interesting statement that makes me want to point out two things.

One catholics (your listed religion) worship an omnipotent God so what are you telling him that he does not already know?

and two, Salvation in Catholism relolves around accepting Jesus as your savior for sins in your lifetime....the theory of original sin...within that context would it be fair to say inasfar as the dogma of the Catholic church that the responsiblty (ie orginal sin and Jesus gift to the world) transfers that responsiblty away from the sinner (man) and towards Jesus in exchange for the acceptance of his gift and belief in it. With that in mind isn't it two completlely diffent theories to use confession to accept responsiblties for actions and than say Jesus died for the sins accepting responsiblty for them?

SoulTYPE

Robtex has a valid point.

Confession to God, as silly as this expression may sound, is much like a blow-up doll.
The blow up doll does nothing, but it is all in the user's MIND what the doll resembles.
In this case, a believer's confession to God has the same effect. The confessor tells God his sins, and in his MIND, God has forgiven the believer. I can elaborate on this if asked.

Gunga_ann

"Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you might be healed." (James 5:16)

Jesus told the apostles, "Receive the Holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained." (John 20:22-23)

Irenicas

high overlord of sod all
Personally, I believe that confession, on anything but a psychological level is worthless. f you cannot forgive yourself, what does it matter if another does? Do right, sturggle with your own guilt, forgive ourself when it is right to.

As for public confession. Stupid damn idea if you ask me.

robtex

Veteran Member
Irenicas said:
Personally, I believe that confession, on anything but a psychological level is worthless. f you cannot forgive yourself, what does it matter if another does? Do right, sturggle with your own guilt, forgive ourself when it is right to.

As for public confession. Stupid damn idea if you ask me.

Interesting statement because you list your religion as buddist. I was thinking about the worth of connfession to a God that is all knowing and realized I may have missed the point.

Confession may be, (forgive my ignorance christians) a way of self-actualzation by articulating the exact nature of your confession. God may already know but by actually saying it maybe man defines it in concrete rational terms that he can see instead of the abstraction of the said infraction that exists in his head that has not been rationized with words.

I am thinking that confession is a meathod of self-actualiztion and that the point is not telling God what he already knows but defining the parameters that the sinner experienced when the said sin was committed but not defined in its totality.

Gunga_ann

robtex said:
Interesting statement because you list your religion as buddist. I was thinking about the worth of connfession to a God that is all knowing and realized I may have missed the point.

Confession may be, (forgive my ignorance christians) a way of self-actualzation by articulating the exact nature of your confession. God may already know but by actually saying it maybe man defines it in concrete rational terms that he can see instead of the abstraction of the said infraction that exists in his head that has not been rationized with words.

I am thinking that confession is a meathod of self-actualiztion and that the point is not telling God what he already knows but defining the parameters that the sinner experienced when the said sin was committed but not defined in its totality.
That is a good way of putting it. Yes, God knows we sin. In Reconciliation we want to be forgiven, with our whole heart. We say that we sin and God forgives us. It takes a load off of us, God forgiving us.

Lightkeeper

SoulTYPE01 said:
Robtex has a valid point.

Confession to God, as silly as this expression may sound, is much like a blow-up doll.
The blow up doll does nothing, but it is all in the user's MIND what the doll resembles.
In this case, a believer's confession to God has the same effect. The confessor tells God his sins, and in his MIND, God has forgiven the believer. I can elaborate on this if asked.
The doll is physically there. So are you saying God is there, but does nothing. I don't think confession has anything to do with the response of anyone, it has to do only with the act of confessing.

Scott1

robtex said:
One catholics (your listed religion) worship an omnipotent God so what are you telling him that he does not already know?

and two, Salvation in Catholism relolves around accepting Jesus as your savior for sins in your lifetime....the theory of original sin...within that context would it be fair to say inasfar as the dogma of the Catholic church that the responsiblty (ie orginal sin and Jesus gift to the world) transfers that responsiblty away from the sinner (man) and towards Jesus in exchange for the acceptance of his gift and belief in it. With that in mind isn't it two completlely diffent theories to use confession to accept responsiblties for actions and than say Jesus died for the sins accepting responsiblty for them?
Hiya robtex, thanks for your post. A few things:
#1 Confession is not a matter of telling God something He does not know. Confession is more about accepting and admitting our sinful behavior. If a child breaks something, say by horseplay in the house in front of his/her parent, an admission of guilt is not needed.... the parent witnessed the action. Confession is akin to the child admitting and accepting responcibility for his/her actions. To admit that he/she was acting inapropriately by horsing around in the house and showing a personal growth by being sorry for the action.... not just because he/she got caught, but because they know the behavior was incorrect and they are sorry that it upset the parent.
Confession is part of the sonship of Christian believers. Confession revolves around the LOVE of God for the sinner, and the imperfect love that we have for God as believers. We ALL sin......... how could this be if we love God so much? Confession is God's way to restore us to a grace filled relationship with Him.

#2 The penalty of Original sin is removed by baptism.... it does not necessarlily involve faith in Christ (infant baptism). Christ has done the "work" for us on Calvary. Salvation is about the relationship between the Father and us, his adopted sons and daughters.... this is possible only because of the blood of Christ that was shed for all mankind.
You are confused in thinking that the sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross insures our salvation and makes confession redundant..... Christ has opened the door to heaven, but we are still working out our salvation in "fear and trembling" and confession is a wonderful part of that work.

Peace be with you,
Scott

SoulTYPE

Lightkeeper said:
The doll is physically there. So are you saying God is there, but does nothing. I don't think confession has anything to do with the response of anyone, it has to do only with the act of confessing.
Twist my words around then.

I said LIKE a doll. I didn't mean the EXACT same thing. And no I wasn't implying that "God is there, but does nothing". I was realating it in the sense that both the doll and the confessor are alike, the results of both the doll's purposes and the results of confessing to God, are defined by the doll user/confessor.

Ah what's the point of even bothering to try and explain. Probably get another warning, sure you'll find something in there.