• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Christmas have anything to do with Christ?

Does Xmas (Christmas) have anything to do with Christ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MikeSavage

You can beat your chest all you like
You can scream it at the top of your lungs till you are blue in the face
you can jump up and down till your testicles finally descend
but he is YOUR god, not mine.
I hate to disappoint you but He is your god as well. Whether you acknowledge it or not, you can't change that fact.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
[QUOTE="MikeSavage, post: 4038236, member: 55774"

Now, the governing body does not "command" anything. They are fellow workers in Jehovah, not bosses, lords, leaders, or superiors. They are of the annointed however. They are of the 144,000. They are just like you and me. Simple everyday people whom Jehovah has chosen as part of the firstfruits of mankind. Your denegration of them is unwarranted, as it most likely comes from the false teachings of false religions. Read Galations 5:19-21 where it describes some of the works of the flesh.
[/QUOTE]
See that? "Your denegration [sic] of them is unwarranted"

How is having an opinion different than the governing body denigration?

MikeSavage

[QUOTE="MikeSavage, post: 4038236, member: 55774"

Now, the governing body does not "command" anything. They are fellow workers in Jehovah, not bosses, lords, leaders, or superiors. They are of the annointed however. They are of the 144,000. They are just like you and me. Simple everyday people whom Jehovah has chosen as part of the firstfruits of mankind. Your denegration of them is unwarranted, as it most likely comes from the false teachings of false religions. Read Galations 5:19-21 where it describes some of the works of the flesh.
See that? "Your denegration [sic] of them is unwarranted"

How is having an opinion different than the governing body denigration?[/QUOTE]
I don't know because I don't feel that way. You tell me.

MikeSavage

That is your post! If you have changed your mind, then an apology is in order I believe.
Nope. I never said that having an opinion other than the governing body's opinion is denegrating to them. You asked me how that could be and I said I don't know, because it's never happened. I don't feel that way. Tell me, why are you so determined to be so argumentative? Does it make you feel better? Why, by the way, do you stick so closely to the false teachings of religion, and ignore the teachings of our creator?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nope. I never said that having an opinion other than the governing body's opinion is denegrating to them. You asked me how that could be and I said I don't know, because it's never happened. I don't feel that way. Tell me, why are you so determined to be so argumentative? Does it make you feel better? Why, by the way, do you stick so closely to the false teachings of religion, and ignore the teachings of our creator?
What I do is have an opinion different from the governing body. I do not denigrate any man except of course my own husband when he gets on my case unwarrented. You understand? You say I denigrate them. Yes or no? Did you say my denigration of them is unwarranted?

MikeSavage

What I do is have an opinion different from the governing body. I do not denigrate any man except of course my own husband when he gets on my case unwarrented. You understand? You say I denigrate them. Yes or no? Did you say my denigration of them is unwarranted?
I did say denigrating God's witnesses is unwarranted. But, it's been going on for over two thousand years. Jesus was first denegrated, and murdered, followed by his apostles and many disciples, right up to today. It still goes on all over the world. It's also been prophecied by Jesus that this would happen. He said that the world loves what is it's own. If one is no part of the world he said, the world would persecute that one and kill him. He was correct.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I shall share the inspiration I just had. I am trying to get to the truth. You call it "argumentative"
Tell me, why are you so determined to be so argumentative? Does it make you feel better?
It is the governing body's job, you say, to get to the truth. But you do not call them argumentative. Do you?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I did say denigrating God's witnesses is unwarranted. But, it's been going on for over two thousand years. Jesus was first denegrated, and murdered, followed by his apostles and many disciples, right up to today. It still goes on all over the world. It's also been prophecied by Jesus that this would happen. He said that the world loves what is it's own. If one is no part of the world he said, the world would persecute that one and kill him. He was correct.
OK. But it DID sound like you said I do it.

sincerly

sincerly said:
Bible S., The above isn't scripturally true. Paul in addressing the 1Corinthians (11:22-29) concerning the Communion supper acknowledged that it was for/by the congregation as a whole.

"""What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.
For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body."""
Your posted scriptures are true, but your conclusive applications are false.
Paul wrote in that same book(10:6, 11) and Rom.15:4 That what was written is for examples, admonition, and learning by US.
Jesus(nor GOD the Father) is not a respecter of persons. Your Site is wrong in its conclusions.

Your interpretation of 1 Corinthians 11:22 is incorrect.

Bible S., to the contrary. It had been stated that the "bread and wine" was only for the "anointed" and not for the congregation. Paul says that rendering was erroneous. as seen in "When ye come together in the church". That is speaking to all the members. The "let a man examine himself".---Yes, even the "anointed" needs to make sure that he in still sin free.
GOD knows the hearts/motives of a person.
That Communion/Memorial service wasn't to be a full meal nor the wine sufficient for drunkenness. The purpose was to remind the congregation of Jesus Christ's death and why it occurred---for the propitiation of guilty mankind's Sin debt and the shedding of Christ's blood to pay it.

"Do you not have houses for eating and drinking? Or do you despise the congregation of God and make those who have nothing feel ashamed? What can I say to you? Should I commend you? In this I do not commend you."
Paul was correcting abuses in connection with eating of supper at the congregation's meeting place before the observance of the Lord's evening meal.Thats' why verse 34 says,"If anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, that you may not come together for judgment.”

Some were attending the meetings hungry and they also were drinking excessively.

The abuses were in the misunderstanding of the "do this in remembrance of me"(HIS sacrifice for the confessed and repentant sinner.)

This topic has only the actions/life of Jesus in common,---basically off-topic.(but along with it is the/Jesus' institution of "foot washing".)
(No member is superior to another.)

MikeSavage

I shall share the inspiration I just had. I am trying to get to the truth. You call it "argumentative"
It is the governing body's job, you say, to get to the truth. But you do not call them argumentative. Do you?
It is the governing body's job to function as the apostles functioned when they worked with Jesus. It hasn't changed. If you are curious as to what that job is, the scriptures describe it pretty clearly.

MikeSavage

OK. But it DID sound like you said I do it.
One shouldn't read into something what isn't there. Assuming things is guessing, just like interpreting things is guessing, unless you are a vernacular interpreter. Spanish into English, and so on. Interpreting scriptures is never correct. Interpreting what someone meant never is correct either. What someone says, is what they meant.

InChrist

Free4ever
That's all good and well, but the term "annointed ones" refers to those annointed with holy spirit, at the direction of Jesus, using God's holy spirit. Being so annointed, they became the first of the 144,000. The only ones from Earth to go to heaven. Naysay all you want, but it doesn't change the truth. If you want to turn your back on our sovereign ruler, God the Almighty, Jehovah of Armies, it's your choice, albeit a suicidal choice.
Have you stopped to question why the Watchtower teaches that the number 144,000 is literal and then flip flops within the same passage and ignores the literal explanation of this number in the scriptures, instead teaching a figurative application to Jehovah's Witnesses? The Bible clearly states that the 144,000 is made up of 12.000 from each of the literal tribes of Israel. I think one certainly has to question the reasoning if not the motive of anyone that picks and chooses verses in one passage to be literal and figurative. Convenient on the part of the Watchtower, because if they take verses 5 through 8 literally as they do verse 4 then they could not be part of the 144,000 unless they were descendents of one of the tribes mentioned, so instead they make it figurative to apply to the Watchtower "anointed class".

Along with that, to say that the number of people that go to heaven is limited to 144,000 is ludicrous and completely without any Biblical support. After one examines the numbers and the Watchtower claim that this quota was met in 1935, to think that it would take God over 1800 years to find 144,000 faithful Christians simply defies all logic, as it does Christian history and all the accounts of faithful martyrs and missionaries who served the Lord and gave up their lives for faith in Christ.

But it seems the Watchtower must twist these scriptures so that it applies to Jehovah's Witnesses (instead of the descendants of Israel as plainly taught in the scriptures) and to fit within their web of false teachings.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One shouldn't read into something what isn't there. Assuming things is guessing, just like interpreting things is guessing, unless you are a vernacular interpreter. Spanish into English, and so on. Interpreting scriptures is never correct. Interpreting what someone meant never is correct either. What someone says, is what they meant.
Wait a minute! "Interpreting scriptures is never correct". You say it is what the govening body occupy themselves with doing.

MikeSavage

Have you stopped to question why the Watchtower teaches that the number 144,000 is literal and then flip flops within the same passage and ignores the literal explanation of this number in the scriptures, instead teaching a figurative application to Jehovah's Witnesses? The Bible clearly states that the 144,000 is made up of 12.000 from each of the literal tribes of Israel. I think one certainly has to question the reasoning if not the motive of anyone that picks and chooses verses in one passage to be literal and figurative. Convenient on the part of the Watchtower, because if they take verses 5 through 8 literally as they do verse 4 then they could not be part of the 144,000 unless they were descendents of one of the tribes mentioned, so instead they make it figurative to apply to the Watchtower "anointed class".

Along with that, to say that the number of people that go to heaven is limited to 144,000 is ludicrous and completely without any Biblical support. After one examines the numbers and the Watchtower claim that this quota was met in 1935, to think that it would take God over 1800 years to find 144,000 faithful Christians simply defies all logic, as it does Christian history and all the accounts of faithful martyrs and missionaries who served the Lord and gave up their lives for faith in Christ.

But it seems the Watchtower must twist these scriptures so that it applies to Jehovah's Witnesses (instead of the descendants of Israel as plainly taught in the scriptures) and to fit within their web of false teachings.
You have misunderstood many things. And nowhere does it say that all of the annointed, the first of which were Jesus' apostles, were all faithful Christians. The 12,000 from each tribe of Israel isn't literal either, as the Levites weren't included. They were God's alone for tending to the tent of meeting, and had no inheritance that the other tribes had. It is necessary to study God's word, in context, and comparing each to each other scripture, keeping in mind that God cannot lie.

MikeSavage

You can deny me, but the Scriptures I posted are still correct.
The scriptures themselves may be correct, but your understanding of them isn't necessarily so. Understanding them requires an honest heart, as God Himself sees it when He looks into it, and requires God to use holy spirit to help you understand them. The surest way, other than directly opposing God, to misunderstand them, is to be part of the religion that the scriptures say is false. Satan actively obscures the meaning to everyone, unless they have that help when God uses holy spirit in their understanding. No love for God, no understanding of His word. Very simple.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
'Denigrate' comes from Latin and is a compound of the prefix 'de' and the root 'nigrare'. In Middle English to denigrate meant to blacken something, like burning some toast or a roast. The modern term has to do with reputations not physical objects. To denigrate someone is to attempt to harm their reputation. It is pretty close to saying 'Tarnish', which was originally a word having to do with the blackening of silver articles. The main difference is that a tarnished reputation is one where an individual has through inaction or bad action allowed harm to come to their reputation over time, while denigrating a reputation is an active process. One cannot 'Tarnish' another's reputation, only 'Denigrate' it.

Last edited: