• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does atheism need a reason?

Erebus

Does atheism require a reason (such as skepticism, empiricism and so on) in order to be "valid" or is it acceptable for somebody to simply be an atheist?

Is one position stronger than the other? Why/why not?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No, there is no need for a reason. I fully believe it is alright to switch from atheism to theism just on a whim or even by a coin toss.

What would make an atheistic position strong? I have no idea.

Erebus

What would make an atheistic position strong? I have no idea.

I don't want to add too many of my own thoughts to the thread just yet, but this is something that probably wants clarification.

I've seen people argue that while a person can "simply be" an atheist, it's a position that lacks merit. These people argue that a stronger or more valid expression of atheism is derived from study, introspection and skepticism.

I've seen people argue that while a person can "simply be" an atheist, it's a position that lacks merit. These people argue that a stronger or more valid expression of atheism is derived from study, introspection and skepticism.

People have many funny ideas.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Theism needs a reason, not atheism. We're not born Bahai's or Baptists, these belief systems are learned, the reason they exist is because we're taught them.
If a person's never indoctrinated into a religion, does this theological blank slate have a reason? Isn't such a state a de facto atheism?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Some of it depends on how we are defining the term, but gods know I'm not interested in beating that dead horse into more of a bloody pulp than it already is.

I find both the terms "theist" and "atheist" meaningless except when a specific god-concept is being referenced. In that proper context, all people have reasons for accepting or rejecting that particular god-concept, which can include reasons like "I haven't thought about this before" or "I haven't been exposed to this before" as well as things like "I don't think that should be deified" and "that isn't a god to me."

outhouse

Atheistically
Does atheism require a reason (such as skepticism, empiricism and so on) in order to be "valid" or is it acceptable for somebody to simply be an atheist?

Atheism is dynamic in it definition,

Implicit atheism does require a conscious rejection of theism.

Explicit does. One can also just have a lack of belief, and one can believe their are no gods to qualify.

The ONLY thing that matter is that one is NOT a theist. If one is not a theist, one factually is an atheist and or agnostic

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why?

You only need a reason if you want to go around telling people they are wrong and you are right.

(by reason I mean something beyond 'it just feels right/I like it/etc.)
I'm using reason in the sense of "cause."

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

There is worth in study, introspectionand skepticism, and even in supporting the validity of atheism through them. But none of that translates into the atheism itself - nor does it need to in the slightest.

Agreed.

Damn! I said I didn't want to add my own thoughts just yet ;)

Ahh well, I imagine some people could have guessed my stance anyway.

Seems to be the kind of view that is promoted by anti-theist/new atheist types who consider theistic religion to a harmful mental defect that is the preeminent cause of society's problems.

Such people seem to assume that pursuing 'science and reason' is intrinsically good (rather than morally neutral), therefore those who have not arrived at their atheistic position through this means have not yet reached 'enlightenment'.

Ultimately good comes from a subjective moral framework that just 'seems right' no matter how much 'rational' justification it is wrapped up in. Some people just don't like to admit this as their ego is overly committed to their own rationality.

I was an atheist before I even knew what an atheist was and I certainly didn't reason myself into that position so I'm not going to claim a gold star for my introspective scepticism.

Many 'reasons' we have for beliefs are simply things constructed after the fact to justify a position that we have already intuitively arrived at.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm not sure whether it takes having a reason to become an atheist, but I'm almost absolutely sure it takes balls. I'm almost absolutely sure of that because, despite being 59 years old, I have yet to this day heard of even one atheist who never ever played with balls in their lives -- ergo, it must surely take balls.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I would say no evidence for anything that can be described as a deity or God is sufficient reason to declare yourself an atheist but I guess that is a reason. If they haven't considered the evidence then in my book they are really not theist or atheists but it is almost impossible living in society to not have considered the question so my last point is probably moot.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Such people seem to assume that pursuing 'science and reason' is intrinsically good (rather than morally neutral),

Pursuing science and reason is indeed instrinsically good. It enables people to make informed, fair judgements, which are the very basis of morality.

therefore those who have not arrived at their atheistic position through this means have not yet reached 'enlightenment'.

That is a non-sequitur. Science and reason do not imply atheism.

Ultimately good comes from a subjective moral framework that just 'seems right' no matter how much 'rational' justification it is wrapped up in.

That is debatable at best. I don't think it is at all true, personally.