• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Atheism Lead to Immoral Behavior?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I do not believe we can .. but I know what you mean.

Of course we need to learn from history .. but I do not agree that history shows that
tougher laws are not effective.
I'm not saying "tougher laws are not effective."

I'm saying that a society in which people are killed, tortured and maimed for breaking laws is not a society that maximizes human flourishing, happiness, health and liberty. I'm saying such a society is a violent society. You seem to think it's a less violent society than one in which people are tortured, killed or maimed for breaking laws, which is generally not borne out in reality, historically speaking. It just makes for a crappy society in which people can have their lives taken, and/or their bodies mangled for any number of non-violent crimes. Which to me, is an infringement upon human rights. I don't want to live in a society that places such low value on human life.

muhammad_isa

I'm not saying "tougher laws are not effective."

I'm saying that a society in which people are killed, tortured and maimed for breaking laws is not a society that maximizes human flourishing, happiness, health and liberty. I'm saying such a society is a violent society. You seem to think it's a less violent society than one in which people are tortured, killed or maimed for breaking laws, which is generally not borne out in reality, historically speaking. It just makes for a crappy society in which people can have their lives taken, and/or their bodies mangled for any number of non-violent crimes. Which to me, is an infringement upon human rights. I don't want to live in a society that places such low value on human life.
This is becoming a debate on capital punishment..

The point that I was making, is that the only "signal" that secular law gives to people
about sexual relations, is one about adult consent.
That is because public opinion has shifted, and started with the advent of the contraceptive pill, imo.

Atheists often tell us that the universe came into existence "naturally" .. but I see nothing
natural about the contraceptive pill. Time will tell where mankind will end up in their present trajectory.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
This is becoming a debate on capital punishment..
Yes, because you've advocated for the torture or killing of people who commit adultery.
The point that I was making, is that the only "signal" that secular law gives to people
about sexual relations, is one about adult consent.
That is because public opinion has shifted, and started with the advent of the contraceptive pill, imo.
Consent is paramount, yes. Engaging in sexual relations without the other person's consent is rape. This has nothing to do with contraception.
Atheists often tell us that the universe came into existence "naturally" .. but I see nothing
natural about the contraceptive pill. Time will tell where mankind will end up in their present trajectory.
I have no idea how this ties into anything or what one has to do with the other. Eyeglasses aren't natural either, but I need them to see.
Contraception allows women to have some control over their own bodies and their own reproductive cycles, which contributes to human flourishing. I take it you disagree?

muhammad_isa

We live in the least violent era of human history ever..
I would think that depends on where you live..
I doubt whether those in Vietnam were thinking along those lines, for example.

It is a fact that violent crime is on the increase in US .. what will change that, do you think?
It is not as though US as a nation is poor .. or maybe it is .. how much was the national debt?
..or maybe that is just a figure in a sum, calculating who gets what somehow..

muhammad_isa

Contraception allows women to have some control over their own bodies and their own reproductive cycles, which contributes to human flourishing. I take it you disagree?
I am not criticising what women want to do with their bodies..
I am merely saying that public opinion about virginity, and sex before marriage has changed
because of the pill. Can you not understand that?

muhammad_isa

I'm wondering what it has to do with the point about violence in society.
Already explained..
We think that it's OK to have sexual intercourse outside of marriage,
because we consider ourselves in control of pregnancy.

..but we disregard the fact that sexual relationships involve strong emotions,
and often causes violence.