• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Anyone Take the Story of Noah's Ark Literally?

PackJason

I make up facts.
I was brought up to believe the story was literal. Even at a young age I recognized it was a bunch of baloney.

What goes on inside the head of a person who believes the story in a strictly literal sense?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I was brought up to believe the story was literal. Even at a young age I recognized it was a bunch of baloney.

What goes on inside the head of a person who believes the story in a strictly literal sense?

I do. What do you want to know? Since you said you used to believe it, what could someone/I tell you about it, that you don't already know? heheh

PackJason

I make up facts.
I don't think they necessarily had to. I think that the flood, though world wide, did not destroy everything in it's path. Much like the Ark, in other areas, animals or whatever sought higher land, or what have you.

According to the Bible, the flood waters covered the highest mountain tops (the would be Mt. Everest). So if you believe the story in a literal sense, what you just said couldn't have happened.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Not sure about the entire story, but this may have been the model for the modern Navy. If you read the story you will see that Noah finally landed the ark "...and the animals went ashore."

Baladas

An Págánach
I used to take it literally.
In my case, it was a matter of not being honest with myself.
The narrative had to remain wholly intact, and so it was true.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
How did the kangaroos and platypuses get to the middle east from Australia and then back to Australia after the flood?

You forget that we are dealing with an omnipotent God here. Transporting animals back and forth across the globe isn't a problem for Him.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Many years ago I did, but that was also all I knew then because that was all I had been exposed to.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I used to believe God could do anything so I believed the tale actually was true and accurate.

Yep I was really that naive in respect to Bible stories. .

The Bible said it. .
I believe it. ..
That settles it.

*yikes*

Kelly of the Phoenix

I did as a kid. There are other biblical stories that made less sense to me, really. I didn't have the internet until nearly graduating high school (in the times where you had to pay for the privilege ... plus ... dial-up). So my ability to get other views was somewhat limited. I think it was reading somewhere (my mom used to get Bible Review and BAR) that it wasn't really a "boat" so much as a "cube-ish thing" that got me to thinking.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
That is quite incorrect. See ICR.org for a theistic scientific opinion.
The world wide flood from Noah's days would had to occur less than 8,000 years ago, and I'm being generous.
There is no geological evidence for global flooding with that recent of a date.

I don't like to try to persuade people from their religious or doctrinal beliefs so I'm going to bow out now. :)