• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone know what kind of mask this is?

Gargovic Malkav

It belonged to my grandma for as long as I can remember.
When I was little I used to be frightened of this thing.
Where does it come from and what is/was it used for?
I suspect it's Indonesian.
Can anyone tell me more about this?

20220123_115249.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I thought it could be an old Venetian carnival mask.

Got me curious so did a google lens. No good results, the closest i could find was an old theatre mask

Last edited:
It belonged to my grandma for as long as I can remember.
When I was little I used to be frightened of this thing.
Where does it come from and what is/was it used for?
I suspect it's Indonesian.
Can anyone tell me more about this?

View attachment 59301

Looks Javanese.

They are used for cultural performances (dances, theatre, puppets) usually relating to myths regarding legendary rulers, and/or Hindu myths.

This kind of thing:

9 Karakter Topeng Khas Indonesia Ini Bisa Tunjukkan Karaktermu

Topeng dance - Wikipedia

Image search

Eyes to See

Looks Javanese.

They are used for cultural performances (dances, theatre, puppets) usually relating to myths regarding legendary rulers, and/or Hindu myths.

This kind of thing:

9 Karakter Topeng Khas Indonesia Ini Bisa Tunjukkan Karaktermu

Topeng dance - Wikipedia

Image search

A cursory glance through those links and looking at the masks there appears to be a difference. Most of the masks in the links have the "third eye" marked. Usually indicating a link to the demonic world. it is usually a mark of some sort in the middle of the forehead, where the pineal gland is. This is not a mark unique to adherents of Hinduism. Most occult and spiritistic practices around the world have some form of the "third eye" mark that links the participant to Satan and his demons (even if they don't know it.) It is lacking on the mask above. But I am not an expert so maybe it means the person hasn't been totally inducted in whatever spiritstic form of worship or practice being performed to the demons.

third eye mark at DuckDuckGo