• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone know the background to this incident?

Please do not watch this video if you are of a sensitive nature.

BE AWARE This is the incident described by main stream press as an accident. WATCH

I live in the UK and I have only just found out about it so I wondered if it had been covered in the USA and if anyone had any more details.

The driver behind the mayhem in New York City's Times Square that killed one and injured 22 others allegedly stated, "I wanted to kill them" and admitted to smoking PCP-laced marijuana before Thursday's violence.

Richard Rojas, 26, told a witness that he had wanted to kill the pedestrians of Times Square whom he hit with his 2009 Honda Accord, according to court documents. He also allegedly added that he smoked PCP-laced marijuana before the onslaught.

The driver behind Times Square mayhem said "I wanted to kill them"

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The driver behind the mayhem in New York City's Times Square that killed one and injured 22 others allegedly stated, "I wanted to kill them" and admitted to smoking PCP-laced marijuana before Thursday's violence.

Richard Rojas, 26, told a witness that he had wanted to kill the pedestrians of Times Square whom he hit with his 2009 Honda Accord, according to court documents. He also allegedly added that he smoked PCP-laced marijuana before the onslaught.

What a pathetic excuse.

Notanumber

A Free Man

Thanks for the information.

I would have thought the BBC would have covered it, but I didn’t hear it if they did.

In contrast, the similar event has been headline news on the BBC today.

Religion has a lot to answer for.

BTW, I don’t see how the authorities could initially claim it was an accident.

Watch any breaking news story and 90% of the information you get is wrong. It is the nature of the 24h news cycle. People have to comment before they have had time to establish what happened.

I imagine they wanted to reassure people that it wasn't a terrorist attack and put out a statement that reflected this before they had access to all of the facts.

The official position frequently changes over the first few days. Sometimes it is deliberate, usually when the government, police, etc have done something wrong and want to shape the initial narrative in their favour before releasing the truth in dribs and drabs when it gets far less coverage. For cognitive reasons, the initial narrative is hard to overturn in people's mind, and many people will remember it as true even when later told it is wrong.

Most of the time though, the official position changes because it takes time to gather information, but the media/public expect instant answers.

HonestJoe

I would have thought the BBC would have covered it, but I didn’t hear it if they did.
They did at the time though it rapidly lost public interest when it turned out not to be terrorism or politically motivated; Times Square car crash driver Richard Rojas 'heard voices' - BBC News

Religion has a lot to answer for.
While that’s generally true, it seems pretty much irrelevant to both of these cases. One was about metal health issues and drugs while the other appears to be about messed-up social politics.

In which case? Either way, I doubt they actually did claim it was an accident. Authorities will generally not give definitive answers regarding motives or causes in the early stages. They will make statements about what is immediately apparent and possibilities, especially if they’re seeking to cut off tabloid speculation which can serve to feed further violence.