• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone keep Hel's image, or pray to her?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I got the book Hearth and Field: A Heathen Prayer Book. In it there are several prayers addressed to Hel. I also found an interesting image of her. I think she is an important goddess to pay respect and reverence to. But I wonder if like with Kali in Hinduism, does she evoke more energy than the average person might be able to handle? In other words, is there any reason to not keep her image (since I've already found it) and say the prayers in the book?

Here's the image, I quite like it:

Attachments

• hel_by_righon-d48q5go.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 79

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I agree. The prayers ask her for her mercy and kindness, and to give comfort for the souls entering her realm. I don't want to be swayed by some of the things people have written about her fearsomeness, when that may not be the case. Again, like Kali who appears terrible and fearsome, yet is actually kind and compassionate.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Pray to, but not keep an image of. Most consider Mother/Frau Holle/Hulda to be Hel and she was basically the Queen Bee for continental Heathenry - more focused on than any other Gods and Goddesses. Interjected into a lot of old folk tales and legends still surviving too, in one form or another. Urglaawe still considers her the most important patroness of their traditions.

I like this a lot from one of the Urglaawe folks :D
[youtube]PY41_02nJlI[/youtube]
Heil Dir Holle - YouTube

I think the aspect/image that stuck strongest and is most prevalent was influenced by Christianity big time...even though it's still not dark or "bad" - but different enough for a bit of hesitation for some Ásatrúar/Heathens. The guiding, consoling, regenerative mother aspect, similar to Frigg (some say Norse Frigg and Hel are continental Holle seemingly split), was basically appropriated for Mary or pushed out all together. Goddesses roles lessened and seeresses, prophetesses, etc. became bad or scary witches - though both used to be supremely important.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for that info. Yes, it's a feeling of hesitation, which is why I asked. Sometimes if it doesn't feel right it isn't.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I tend to regard her not as a daughter of Loki, but as the First. The One Eternal Being is Death: the Ice Queen, called Hel in Eddic Lore. And She is the Mother of all Life.

That said, She has a very different energy from Kali. Kali is primal, energetic, fierce, sexy, all of that. Hel is... not. She's much more melancholy. That makes sense, however; even today, we have a very melancholy fear of the Arctic and Antarctic Wastes, which Indian people wouldn't have known about.

Therefore, while I worshiped Kali quite often, I don't worship Hel much at all. Largely because I'm still fighting some depression, and I don't think focusing on Her would help much, even in this season.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
...because I'm still fighting some depression, and I don't think focusing on Her would help much, even in this season.

That's a good point. I'm in a nosedive these days too, so it's probably best to not focus on this aspect. Rather, keep worshiping the Gods of light, energy and power. Me likes this analysis.