• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone hear think global warming is God's wrath?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I was just wondering, because if you think these are the end of times global warming might be caused by God and you could believe it.
I think it's because of CO2 production, but I was wondering if anyone thinks that hypothesis.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I was just wondering, because if you think these are the end of times global warming might be caused by God and you could believe it.
I think it's because of CO2 production, but I was wondering if anyone thinks that hypothesis.
Let's say for the sake of discussion that there is a God. (I believe there is, but, for the sake of discussion, let's say we agree that there is a God.) But then let's also say for the sake of discussion that evolution is true. So -- what's the problem, if you believe in evolution? According to that theory, everything, including humans, die anyway. That's for starters. In other words, what difference does it make for those who believe in evolution as the way things are and will be if mankind destroys itself and the earth.

YoursTrue

Allow me to say this -- God, according to the Bible, has essentially (not always) allowed mankind to basically do whatever it thought best since Adam and Eve decided to make their own decisions rather than listen to God, And of course we can see how that worked out.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Let's say for the sake of discussion that there is a God. (I believe there is, but, for the sake of discussion, let's say we agree that there is a God.) But then let's also say for the sake of discussion that evolution is true. So -- what's the problem, if you believe in evolution? According to that theory, everything, including humans, die anyway. That's for starters. In other words, what difference does it make for those who believe in evolution as the way things are and will be if mankind destroys itself and the earth.
Hello. I couldn't understand what you are saying in your last sentence.

Also, it's not thought we will become extinct due to global warming, but only suffer quite a lot from it. Neither humans nor Earth would be expected to be destroyed in that climate change, though it would extinguish some species it's thought.

Finally, to the extent the scriptures anticipate global warming (just the 1 verse I know about), it seems that verse is just a prediction (like a modeling forecast) instead of the causal agent for Earth's end. Rather, God will replace this Earth regardless of what we've done here, and no matter the climate or the ecological condition.
This is the temporary Earth, and a new one will come, we read.

halbhh

To the extent the scriptures anticipate global warming in particular, there is only 1 verse I know about, and it seems that verse is more like a prediction (like a modeling forecast) instead of the causal agent for Earth's end. It's like other signs: only saying things that will happen. Rather, God will end and replace this Earth regardless of what we've done here, and no matter the climate or the ecological condition.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
To the extent the scriptures anticipate global warming in particular, there is only 1 verse I know about, and it seems that verse is more like a prediction (like a modeling forecast) instead of the causal agent for Earth's end. It's like other signs: only saying things that will happen. Rather, God will end and replace this Earth regardless of what we've done here, and no matter the climate or the ecological condition.
You got a verse?

YoursTrue

Hello. I couldn't understand what you are saying in your last sentence.

Also, it's not thought we will become extinct due to global warming, but only suffer quite a lot from it. Neither humans nor Earth would be expected to be destroyed in that climate change, though it would extinguish some species it's thought.

Finally, to the extent the scriptures anticipate global warming (just the 1 verse I know about), it seems that verse is just a prediction (like a modeling forecast) instead of the causal agent for Earth's end. Rather, God will replace this Earth regardless of what we've done here, and no matter the climate or the ecological condition.
Thank you for your post. Global warming is not "God's wrath." It is the result of mankind's tampering mercilessly in many instances with the elements. I agree with much of your comment, and the idea that God will ruin those who are ruining the earth makes sense, because it seems apparent to me that this earth is not yet beyond repair or redemption, but in order for a new earth to come in, this earth will be repaired and restored and replenished by means of God's kingdom arrangement. Many people pray this prayer but really do not know what it means. "Lord, let your kingdom come..."
But what I was saying is really for those who do not believe in or respect the Bible, because if evolution is true and there is no grand Creator, then the only outlook for mankind is death.
Revelation 11 helps to see some of this regarding God's concern and promise for the future:
"Then the seventh angel sounded his trumpet, and loud voices called out in heaven:
“The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ,
and He will reign forever and ever.”16And the twenty-four elders who sit on their thrones before God fell on their faces and worshiped God, 17saying: “We give thanks to You, O Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was,
because You have taken Your great power and have begun to reign.
18The nations were enraged, and Your wrath has come.
The time has come to judge the dead
and to reward Your servants the prophets,
as well as the saints and those who fear Your name,
both small and great—
and to destroy those who destroy the earth.”

(We're certainly not there yet insofar as replacing this present world as we know it with the rulership of God's kingdom, but I believe we will be as time marches on.)

YoursTrue

Evolution does not posit atheism.
Regardless of what eventualities the theory of evolution might promote or posit, either there is a God who is supreme and promises new heavens and new earth where righteousness is to be, and who will judge people, or there is not. However a person takes this, based on the idea of evolution by natural selection, or survival of the fittest, it basically leaves out the idea that God is involved with the outcome of life and the heavens and the earth. So if the theory of evolution is true then how would you say God is involved with life and the outcome of the heavens and the earth? Further, to utter the words as so many are inclined to do in houses of religion, "Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, let thy kingdom come..." if this is not true then what? Is it like a nice glass of wine which makes some people feel good for the moment?

halbhh

because if evolution is true and there is no grand Creator
We know God exists and we have faith in Christ and believe in His words, and Christ confirms the essential validity of Genesis chapter 2 for example. God exists, and evolution appears likely as not to have been His plan all along. (or else He did a lot of work to create the illusion of it having happened)

Evolution fits the text of Genesis 1-4 just as well as the YEC theories some have. God is able. He is able to do evolution. While obviously evolution with interventions is precisely similar to YEC except for the time duration, God is able to do even more: God is able to design nature to work, from the start. To unfold naturally, like a flower from a seed, perfectly.

YEC/evolution as the means of creation is for a believer a relatively unimportant side topic, but.....

YEC theory (which isn't in the bible, but can be painted onto it) can be a real obstacle to those who haven't yet found God in the same way some bizarre idea like flat Earth could, though flat Earth is more easily seen to be painted onto a few verses, while in contrast YEC uses assumptions that are easier to hide or never thought about by YEC believers.

I agree with all the other things you've said here though generally, while not knowing whether the physical Earth will be entirely replaced (or us transported to some other one for example), or instead simply refurbished, 'renewed' as you worded it.
Thank you for your post. Global warming is not "God's wrath." It is the result of mankind's tampering mercilessly in many instances with the elements. I agree with much of your comment, and the idea that God will ruin those who are ruining the earth makes sense, because it seems apparent to me that this earth is not yet beyond repair or redemption, but in order for a new earth to come in, this earth will be repaired and restored and replenished by means of God's kingdom arrangement. Many people pray this prayer but really do not know what it means. "Lord, let your kingdom come..."
But what I was saying is really for those who do not believe in or respect the Bible, because if evolution is true and there is no grand Creator, then the only outlook for mankind is death.
Revelation 11 helps to see some of this regarding God's concern and promise for the future:
"Then the seventh angel sounded his trumpet, and loud voices called out in heaven:
“The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ,
and He will reign forever and ever.”16And the twenty-four elders who sit on their thrones before God fell on their faces and worshiped God, 17saying: “We give thanks to You, O Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was,
because You have taken Your great power and have begun to reign.
18The nations were enraged, and Your wrath has come.
The time has come to judge the dead
and to reward Your servants the prophets,
as well as the saints and those who fear Your name,
both small and great—
and to destroy those who destroy the earth.”

(We're certainly not there yet insofar as replacing this present world as we know it with the rulership of God's kingdom, but I believe we will be as time marches on.)